heads & cam

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
well i was wondering yalls opinions on heads and cams on a road course/ autox

i know it would be easier to get a blower but i dont relay want a blower nor do i want to blow up my engine

i also know the cam issue has been visited on a past thread but this is not my entire question im wanting to know with the combination of heads and a cam.

im wanting more power just for my DD cuz i cant seem to get enough and i think it also mite be more fun at the track.

i just dont know any one who has heads and cams and does what i do so i thought i would ask some people who may.

red_baron06

Boost
Reaction score
well i was wondering yalls opinions on heads and cams on a road course/ autox

i know it would be easier to get a blower but i dont relay want a blower nor do i want to blow up my engine

i also know the cam issue has been visited on a past thread but this is not my entire question im wanting to know with the combination of heads and a cam.

im wanting more power just for my DD cuz i cant seem to get enough and i think it also mite be more fun at the track.

i just dont know any one who has heads and cams and does what i do so i thought i would ask some people who may.
There gonna say use the search feature.

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
no they are not because yes there is one thread about using cams on a road course. but there is nothing about them both being used im not wanting to know about at a drag strip because i know there are many about that application also but that was not what i was asking

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
My opinion is, alone or combined, head and cam modifications will make more power/torque and your car will be faster. It really doesn't matter what you are using the car for.

They are not great bang for buck modifications and installation is more involved than a blower.

A blower doesn't mean a blown engine if you respect the limitations of the engine. I'm currently running 7 psi on the street and I'm pretty sure I could run that level of boost indefinitely.

Last edited:

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
My opinion is, alone or combined, head and cam modifications will make more power/torque and your car will be faster. It really doesn't matter what you are using the car for.

They are not great bang for buck modifications and installation is more involved than a blower.

A blower doesn't mean a blown engine if you respect the limitations of the engine. I'm currently running 7 psi on the street and I'm pretty sure I could run that level of boost indefinitely.

that what i am worried about i dont know that i will respect the limitations and i drive my car hard evey time i get in it and then i go do hpde's every other weekend and i have 65k miles

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
What the lad is trying to say is that he's too stupid to have a blower on his car. He's young and can't keep his damn foot out of the firewall.

You don't need ported heads for auto crossing. Mild NSR-type cams will be a good addition for you as long as you don't get stupid with the duration numbers.

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
What the lad is trying to say is that he's too stupid to have a blower on his car. He's young and can't keep his damn foot out of the firewall.

You don't need ported heads for auto crossing. Mild NSR-type cams will be a good addition for you as long as you don't get stupid with the duration numbers.

yes lol i am to stupid to keep my foot off the floor.

my thinking about doing heads and cams is that i have seen some dynos and it just doesn't seem all the impressive with just cams now i will say i have never ridden in a s197 with cams so this is all i have to go off of at the moment. so i just want to know others impressions with running heads and cams or just cams on a road course.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
i just want to know others impressions with running heads and cams or just cams on a road course.

Look at the dynos of S197's with heads and cams compared to ones with similar mods without. You'll see if you would be lacking power in any RPM range that is important to you or that you spend signifigant time in. I doubt you do much driving on the road course below 4500 RPM(I rarely do) and it appears that most S197's with heads and cams gain plenty of power from 4500 RPM on up.

Check out this article:
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0706_s197_mustang_heads_cams/index.html

With the new FRPP intake manifold added to that, you should even see more of a power gain in the RPM range that's important to track use.

spiral281

forum member
Reaction score
my only concern with that would be the gearing, you will want to get shorter gears to make use of the new and much higher power band, otherwise you will end up bogging a lot and having to downshift very often...especially with autox...and the 4.6's already kinda seem asleep if you let it get too low...

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
Look at the dynos of S197's with heads and cams compared to ones with similar mods without. You'll see if you would be lacking power in any RPM range that is important to you or that you spend signifigant time in. I doubt you do much driving on the road course below 4500 RPM(I rarely do) and it appears that most S197's with heads and cams gain plenty of power from 4500 RPM on up.

Check out this article:
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0706_s197_mustang_heads_cams/index.html

With the new FRPP intake manifold added to that, you should even see more of a power gain in the RPM range that's important to track use.

yah that frpp intake is what kinda got me going on this

there are a few places that im closer to 3500rpm on one track i go to but that wouldent be that big of deal

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly. Ported Heads w/ some great air velocity with stock cams would benefit you for what you're looking to do. If you're looking for an aftermarket cam regardless, just go with something small.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
never seen any one do just heads but WTHDIK

Since you have to take the came out t do heads, my reasoning is why not do the cams while you have everything apart? A set of NSR cams wouldn't make you lose much low end power and still give you signifigant power gains over stock cams in the 4500-6500+ RPM range.

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
I'm just stating that b/c we've tested it on road race cars... none of them were pro's, but they were far from novice too. They saw no real gains from doing cams. But with just the heads, they picked up a few seconds on their track times.

I'm just saying... it's far from hard facts, it's just me stating what I've seen.

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
I'm just stating that b/c we've tested it on road race cars... none of them were pro's, but they were far from novice too. They saw no real gains from doing cams. But with just the heads, they picked up a few seconds on their track times.

I'm just saying... it's far from hard facts, it's just me stating what I've seen.

where did you see power picked up with just doing heads

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
You have to be an old guy like me to handle the boost.

Of course the Roush SC is only 5 lb boost and they warrant the engine and drivetrain (of installed by a Roush dealer) so they must feel pretty comfortable about it.

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
where did you see power picked up with just doing heads

gains everywhere....

obviously hp/tq gains.

but according to the drivers, they say the car feels stronger on the straight a ways, comes out harder than ever out of the apex of the turns and the power is always there, there is no heat soak issues like that of blowers.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back