Heads

sc281

5.3 big bore block
Reaction score
:thud:I can't believe people around here don't know the name LIVERNOIS. Good thing I read this place or I woulnd't either. I am looking for the best production heads and would like opinions. Stage III?

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Several satasified Livernois customers on here running their heads.
I would but I haven't figured out how to pull a solid gold rabbit out of my ass yet.

sc281

5.3 big bore block
Reaction score
:thud:I can't believe people around here don't know the name LIVERNOIS. Good thing I read this place or I woulnd't either. I am looking for the best production heads and would like opinions. Stage III?
Hell I mean't peeps where I live

Last edited:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fuck I mean't peeps where I live

Yea.. I knew whatcha meant. I was just reaffirming. You stated that you discovered them because of the forum, I was stating that we have several folks on here that run them and are very satasified. :beer:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Let's keep talking.. What about bottom?

There's quite a variance in the short block world on here. A lot of blocks built by Larry Hays, some built by Adam at ST, I think lostsoul is running a MMR setup, think there might be a JDM block or two on here as well, and one ( that I know of ) Boss330.

sc281

5.3 big bore block
Reaction score
I can' t decide on a short block or building my own. I love to build motors. But I don't have the facilities to do it in the frickin winter in this place. I am am old school and know about zero on OHC's. But a short block is a short block.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lack of time and space is what is keeping me from building my own.
In fact I talked to Larry today about a stroker. Probably should just go ahead and pull the trigger on the damn thing so I have it sitting here BEFORE I blow up the stock motor.

sc281

5.3 big bore block
Reaction score
Geez thanks-- nobody answered my original question?? I am just as fault by getting off-topic!! I got time!!

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Geez thanks-- nobody answered my original question?? I am just as fault by getting off-topic!! I got time!!
What are you goals? There are plenty of folks making lots of power with stock heads/cams and FI...

It depends on your desire to spend money and how far you want to push it...

I pushed it to stage III and "11" on the dial elsewhere, but I am still a little ways away from the dyno...

ulev1st

Mustang Addict!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Heads.......

Many good heads out there...if you have the time to be down ( most require YOUR heads to work on because of lack of spares). The same goes for bottom ends. I took my heads off and sent the to Brian at Total Engine Airflow...he had them back to me in less than three weeks...RIGHT BEFORE THANKSGIVING TIME! Others take longer..I am happy with the way mine look and the flow numbers that came back with them..my engine is still out until this weekend...I am doing a winter makeover and have something else to drive...others aren't that fortunate. A lot of people can build engines...very FEW do it correctly..many HIGH $$ worth of PRECISION tools are required to do it RIGHT and most average people don't invest so they pay others to build for them...I have never met him but everyone on here who has an engine built by Larry seems to be VERY satisified..I got a estimate from him but because of shipping cost decided on a local shop that I trust that was more convienent. Bottom line is you get what you pay for....and race what you can afford to blow up! Pics and flow sheet attached..

Last edited:

racevert

ZKiller
Reaction score
I can't believe people around here don't know the name LIVERNOIS.
Everyone here knows the name Livernois. They are doing CNC work to OEM heads, 1mm oversized valves, bronze guides, single coil springs.
They are probably a good choice for worked up heads. Too bad nobody has developed aftermarket production heads for the 3 valve yet.

RRRoamer

Reaction score
Too bad nobody has developed aftermarket production heads for the 3 valve yet.

I have a feeling it is going to be a while before there are any true aftermarket heads for this engine. There are a couple of hold-ups at this point:

1) Not enough 3-valve engines out there yet (give it time)

2) Have you looked at the factory heads??? There is not a whole lot of "low hanging fruit" there. The basic head design is SO much better than any of the old pushrod engines. Unless the factory heads prove incapable of handling high power levels (remember how every single aftermarket pushrod head has a "thick deck" to keep the head gaskets sealed?) or they have to push the valves and ports around to make more room, I don't think it will be cost effective to cast up a new head.

I, for one, am VERY happy with the overall quality of these factory stock engines.

If they just would have left those damned powered metal connecting rods in the bin for the Crown Vics!!!!!

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I, for one, am VERY happy with the overall quality of these factory stock engines.

If they just would have left those damned powered metal connecting rods in the bin for the Crown Vics!!!!!

yup.. and HELL YEA.

There are a lot of people making big power with the stock heads. Sure port work is going to improve them. But they certainly aren't the bottleneck they were in the past.

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ulev1st do you mind pm me some more pics of your heads, im planning on getting them done by the end of this month and would like to illustrate myself on what the product have to look like. thanks

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
John Urist knows turbo’s and I quote “Turbos are less affected by heads and/or camshaft changes when compared to a naturally aspirated or supercharged engine”. He thinks the stock heads are good for up to 20# with a turbo before they become a restriction.

Earl

ulev1st

Mustang Addict!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ulev1st do you mind pm me some more pics of your heads, im planning on getting them done by the end of this month and would like to illustrate myself on what the product have to look like. thanks
It will have to be tomorrow...but no problem..leaving for the night shift right now.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back