Heat wrapping turbo pipe

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
……should I wrap the hot side? Getting different info searching around. Says it helps performance but holds heat & moisture, warping & rusting the pipe. Wanted to see what most people where doing..thanks

JC SSP

Reaction score
I considered it on my Audi. My exhaust guy who has been in business for 50 years and doing my exhaust systems for close to 30 said never wrap unless there is something in close proximity to the exhaust that will be damaged by radiating heat.

My turbo and down pipe are several inches away from anything that might get damaged so I don’t wrap. It’s up to you..

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
I considered it on my Audi. My exhaust guy who has been in business for 50 years and doing my exhaust systems for close to 30 said never wrap unless there is something in close proximity to the exhaust that will be damaged by radiating heat.

My turbo and down pipe are several inches away from anything that might get damaged so I don’t wrap. It’s up to you..
Roger that!!…I don’t think I’ll get inches with the On3 kit lol but I’ll get it all mocked up and see how it fits!!

Laga

Reaction score
……should I wrap the hot side? Getting different info searching around. Says it helps performance but holds heat & moisture, warping & rusting the pipe. Wanted to see what most people where doing..thanks
Look up the episode of “Engine Masters “ on Motortrend+ TV. They dyno test claims of header wrap.
Bottom line: No improvement in performance, very small reduction in external temperature, like 25°F, and a big risk of rust. Don’t do it

MrBhp

Reaction score
I've had mine wrapped for 2 years. Neither the turbor nor the stainless steel downpipe has rusted. Turbo and pipe are WAY too close to the fan to not wrap it. As a matter of fact, even with moving the radiator forward I still had to dremel the fan a bit. The difference in underhood temp with and without is tremendous. If you don't wrap the turbo hot side, make absolutely sure that your hood insulation is in good shape. You will end up with a nice blister on the top of the hood. Don't bother with the turbo hot feed. That is actually a waste. I run the stock exhaust manifolds on mine, with all the porting I could do.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
I've had mine wrapped for 2 years. Neither the turbor nor the stainless steel downpipe has rusted. Turbo and pipe are WAY too close to the fan to not wrap it. As a matter of fact, even with moving the radiator forward I still had to dremel the fan a bit. The difference in underhood temp with and without is tremendous. If you don't wrap the turbo hot side, make absolutely sure that your hood insulation is in good shape. You will end up with a nice blister on the top of the hood. Don't bother with the turbo hot feed. That is actually a waste. I run the stock exhaust manifolds on mine, with all the porting I could do.
I got the blanket that covers the downpipe, hopefully that’ll help with the fan heat. Plan is to run it a few years with no hood until I get a new one and paint. I have the stock hood so I’ll run it and see what happens to it

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back