*Help* 05 mustang gt: Spark plugs

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
if it gets hit exiting by a valve head to valve seat , crunch! bent valve, cracked valve seat ,etc,,, i had the same issue. i rigged up a vacuum line to my shop vac, didnt get it all out the 1st time but luckily , i had a friend with a video bore scope and i went right down in the cylinder and had a look around, found the piece, and got it out. no way in hell unless i had money to burn would i even spin the motor over. you could get lucky as some have but if you dont,,,,, then its pull the head to fix the damage

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
I am preparing my 05 now with 92k on the ODO. I am using pure gas with a full can of Sea Foam in every tank for the next month and driving it like i stole it. I will then do it with a cold engine and have 2 bottles of Aerokroil and the removal tool just in case. I just need to decide on what plugs to use. I want the 1 piece but they are expensive and if I go 2 piece I don't want to have to swap them every other oil change.

05 gt

forum member
Reaction score
I will sell you the removeal tool. Pm me if your interested.

Btw ..
I'm going to ask the snap on man about the bore cam to get these two bits out of the two cylinders. If anyone has done this, let me know what your setup was.

rayS197

Reaction score
I am preparing my 05 now with 92k on the ODO. I am using pure gas with a full can of Sea Foam in every tank for the next month and driving it like i stole it. I will then do it with a cold engine and have 2 bottles of Aerokroil and the removal tool just in case.
Kinda the same thing I did prior to changing the plugs in my truck. I used Lucas fuel treatment in every tank approx two months prior to removal. Carbon build up was minimal.

05 gt

forum member
Reaction score
Just updating... I couldn't get the pieces out of the two cylinders but I decided to crank the car over a few times. I had all the plugs removed and the injectors unplugged but while cranking it over there was a click noise, like it clicked every revolution of the crank. My car does have a cam phaser knock at start up so I'm wondering if that's what's causing the noise. I plan on buying the plugs soon, the weather is starting to warm up and I want to start driving this car again.

Any advise on the clicking noise while cranking the car over with out the plugs installed and ignition disabled will be appreciated.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Just updating... I couldn't get the pieces out of the two cylinders but I decided to crank the car over a few times. I had all the plugs removed and the injectors unplugged but while cranking it over there was a click noise, like it clicked every revolution of the crank. My car does have a cam phaser knock at start up so I'm wondering if that's what's causing the noise. I plan on buying the plugs soon, the weather is starting to warm up and I want to start driving this car again.

Any advise on the clicking noise while cranking the car over with out the plugs installed and ignition disabled will be appreciated.

Bore scopes have come down in price. If you can swing it pick one up from harbor freight and take a look inside the cylinders.

Justinsmt88

forum member
Reaction score
Man, I remember doing this. I had 6 out of 8 break on me but I managed to get all the pieces out. I'd recommend getting a scope and check out the cyl' s before you try to start the engine. Leaving the pieces in there could cause damage. If you don't see anything with the scope you should be fine.

2DaDarkZide PR

Vroom, Burble, Burble
Reaction score
A rare earth magnet will work nicely. They have about 10x the power of a regular magnet.

I always used Autolite plugs. Not to many have had good results with the Champion.

I have read some people say this but no real explanation? Only thing I can see negative about them is their life span would be a little shorter. I had no issues with breakage thankfully after a 48 hour soak.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I have read some people say this but no real explanation? Only thing I can see negative about them is their life span would be a little shorter. I had no issues with breakage thankfully after a 48 hour soak.

There isn't too much to explain. Most people who put champion plugs in have issues and go back to autolite. By most people I mean those who share their experiences on the internet so take it for what it's worth.

Spark plugs lead a hard life, I've never ran them for the 100k that they are advertised to last. The longest was 60k in my GMC pickup and that was too long. Even my stock vehicles get plugs changed about every 40k so lifespan isn't a great concern for me unless it's only 1k or so, lol.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
That might be too wide.
There are quite a few USB style bore scopes on Amazon or EBAY that are less than 9mm wide.
This is the maximum width they can be to fit into the cylinders.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Good call, forgot about those, and they're a hell of a lot cheaper

2DaDarkZide PR

Vroom, Burble, Burble
Reaction score
There isn't too much to explain. Most people who put champion plugs in have issues and go back to autolite. By most people I mean those who share their experiences on the internet so take it for what it's worth.

Spark plugs lead a hard life, I've never ran them for the 100k that they are advertised to last. The longest was 60k in my GMC pickup and that was too long. Even my stock vehicles get plugs changed about every 40k so lifespan isn't a great concern for me unless it's only 1k or so, lol.

See, "issues". I do not find any info on issues that are ABSOLUTELY the spark plug. Know what I mean?

05 gt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks on the info of the bore scopes. Hopefully I didn't do any damage when I cranked the car over with the plugs out.

Do you know if the 9mm scope fits along with a coat hanger?

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I use E3. 0 issues :)

I'm pretty sure e3 doesn't make a ht plug. BTW ht stands for high thread which is what the 3v motors used until late October of 2007. There are some 2008 Mustangs that were assembled with ht heads. Mine missed the cutoff by a few weeks. I've since installed ported heads with the later style of plug.

E3 reminds me of the old splitfire plugs. Lots of marketing.

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
See, "issues". I do not find any info on issues that are ABSOLUTELY the spark plug. Know what I mean?
Its plain and simple certain types of cars tend to like certain kind of spark plugs. Just for some reason certain types of plugs play better with certain ignition systems, and dont play well with others.

As far as those JUNK 3 and 4 ground strap plugs, they dont make a bit of difference. I guess if you believe in those pieces of junk you dont know ANY electrical theory. Current follows path of least resistance, so it will only follow ONE ground strap, while the other ones do absolutely NOTHING. Like Bruce said, all it is is marketing HYPE. No performance gain whatsoever.

OP, just install the plugs and COP's on the cylinders that didnt have anything drop in them, unplug the injectors for the cylinders that had pieces of plug fall into them and leave plugs and coils off. Start the engine and let it run about 5-10 seconds, anything that was in there will have departed and you can toss your new plugs in and re-assemble everything else. You are worrying a little too much.

05 gt

forum member
Reaction score
Update:

I installed the plugs in the cylinders without the suspected debris. Let it run for a min. Then installed the rest of the plugs. The car ran rough still so I disconnected te battery for a couple mins. Started the car up and let it run for about 15 mins and she is running and sounds strong. I am about to get some oil now to do the oil change and I need to top off the rear differential because of a pinion seal leak.

Thanks for everyone's help especially To special coatings

.....on the road again lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back