Help, car won't start ... ok it's only my wife's car not the mustang

Itchy

Reaction score
Ok my wife's car won't start. I turn the key and there is one single click. We were able to jump it, so I thought that meant I could rule out a bad starter.

I decided to just replace the battery with the most expensive battery on the planet, because GM picked an odd size and non of the major generic autoparts stores claimed to carry a normal battery for the car.

It still won't start? What the deuce?

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
even though we were able to jumpstart it?

I'll bet when you jumped it you gave it a lot more amps. Electrical stuff really performs differently at various stages of heat/wear/voltage/amps etc.

Solenoid or the actual starter (armature/brushes could be worn) etc.

Itchy

Reaction score
What a pain in the arse that engine compartment is. I don't know if I can even get to the starter without takeing out a few things. The air box and inlet tube are going to have to come out, and then the exhaust manifold still gets in the way.

I guess that's why V8s are not meant to be FWD

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What a pain in the arse that engine compartment is. I don't know if I can even get to the starter without takeing out a few things. The air box and inlet tube are going to have to come out, and then the exhaust manifold still gets in the way.

well with all due respect... It's your wifes car.... AND for gosh sake use the warranty!

Itchy

Reaction score
it only had a 36000 mile one, and we are at 41000. So that's not an option, smartass, :)

And yeah I know it's my wife's car which is why it has become my problem

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
it only had a 36000 mile one, and we are at 41000. So that's not an option, smartass, :)

all a surprise....:shock:

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I'm gunna feel like shit if it ain't the solenoid or starter.... maybe check a bit more or get more opinions here. It sounds like too much effort for a guess.

Itchy

Reaction score
ok so we jumped it again, and drove it around and then turned off and it started up again. I let it sit for awhile and it started up again. Does that make sense to anyone?

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ok so we jumped it again, and drove it around and then turned off and it started up again. I let it sit for awhile and it started up again. Does that make sense to anyone?
Makes sense? Well yeah...it's a GM...:samuri:

LOL...J/K. It doesn't make any sense...

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

You've obviously never removed the starter from your Mustang!

Speaking of Mustangs.... once you get a handle on the issue I am going to relocate this thread to the Pit since it is not "Mustang Tech" related

Last edited:

Itchy

Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't sure where to post it but, I figured it would get answered the quickest here.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't sure where to post it but, I figured it would get answered the quickest here.

And I agree. The tech section would definitely get more visibility. No worries.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just to recap:
old battery = click - no start
jump = worked
new battery (first time) = click - no start
new battery (after some charging) = works?

If so, then the new battery needed a charge...

When the battery is low, you will here the solenoid click but it has has insufficient power to turn the engine so nothing else happens. Even a new battery needs to charge - it will leak out its charge sitting on the shelf...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back