Help on Finding a BlowProof Bell Housing

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Guys, I have spent a good 4 hours looking around online trying to find a blow-proof bell housing for a stock S197 Manual Trans. No one has them listed for an 05+; they all list buy trans model. I am having trouble with a positive ID on what the stock 5-speed trans is. I think it is a Tremec TR-3650.

Can anyone tell me where the ID plate for this would be? I looked on the backend near the tailstock, but I didn't see anything.

I don't plan on breaking 500 RWHP with this car; at least not on this year's build. So, I probably don't need a trans swap, just clutch kit and bell housing. Does this sound reasonable?

With that in mind, I am looking for feedback and brand recommendations. I pretty much have my mind made up on the clutch kit. Spec Stage3 Street/Strip. Not to sure about the bell housing. I was going to try to get a Lakewood.

What do you think? Personal experiences?

tlt05gt

Larry's Transmission
Reaction score
That is a Tremac 3650 trans. I dont know of anyone offering a bullet proof bell housing and I own a Transmission Shop. Most of the guys I know are switching to an automatic trans once they get to about 500HP they have had issues with breaking input shafts. I know they do offer a billet input to help with that problem. But if I hear of anything else I will let you know.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tony (off topic sorry) are you going to irwindale tonight? I want to talk to you about a custom 4r70 build. I'm thinking of going to a lock-up and going with a larger TC for better street use. Have you heard of a 11"+ converter in a 4r70? Also, could my trans be 'converted' to a lock-up or would a I need a whole new starting unit?

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
That would explain why I can't find one...I'll have to see what the Pro Stick guys are doing to compete...I think they are all using Lencos though.

08GOGT

forum member
Reaction score
Actually they do have an SFI bellhousing, Roush had one made for the Drag Pak mustang they produced. If you look on the roush performance site its listed as an optional component : SFI Bellhousing with Shift Forks - $5,000. But for that much coin you could get another built tranny with a bellhousing.

Another option is an SFI blanket for the stock bellhousing.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Wow...I had no idea they made stuff like that. I knew they made engine diappers, but blow-proof tranny blankets!...I just did a quick look-up for SFI blankets and they look pretty cool. Cheap, easy to install, and I get to keep my feet. Sweet!

Last edited:

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
back in the day

Wow...I had no idea they made stuff like that. I knew they made engine diappers, but blow-proof tranny blankets!...I just did a quick look-up for SFI blankets and they look pretty cool. Cheap, easy to install, and I get to keep my feet. Sweet!

THe bell housing you are talking about where called "Scatter-Shields" and the "blankets" were called "Tranny-Blankets".......just a little old school FYI.

you might try searching Scatter-Shields

did a search this is the only thing I could come up with for our cars, its NASCAR approved but I don't know about NHRA

HTH

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Driv...yZ107058QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Call Justin Bercham at JPC. He switched to a TKO but I believe he had an SFI legal bellhousing on his car.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Call Justin Bercham at JPC. He switched to a TKO but I believe he had an SFI legal bellhousing on his car.
Both the TKO and T56 have Mcleod SFI housings that go in our car. But that does not help the 3650 which is an integrated bellhousing. At this point I think you are looking at a custom job for anything other than a blanky...

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I'm not trying to spend more than $15K this winter and I am already at $14,200 and I still have a few small things to get. I will go with a blanket for now and get a tranny next year...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back