Help! Reinstalling 3650 with car on ramps/jack stands.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of installing a new clutch on my 08 Bullitt, tried to reinstall the trans today, and failed. I have already ground off the ears of the 3650, and massaged the trans tunnel a bit. Car in on ramps/jack stands, and trans is on a low profile transmission jack. Any tips/tricks on how to reinstall the trans would be greatly appreciated. Getting back at it in the morning.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
+1 what's the issue? Did you first align the new clutch when installing it? Are you getting the trans input shaft lined up into the clutch properly? Is it binding on first going through the clutch teeth (if so, is the trans in gear or in neutral)?

07 Boss

Reaction score
I have a sneaky suspicion that he is unable to get the trans to line up by himself. It can be a bit of a chore alone, lying on your back. I had to do it with my auto once and vowed never to do it again on the garage floor. Luckily I have a DIY garage where I can pay a few dollars and use all of their lifts, equipment and tools. I'm 52 and my bodyhas been abused through life so this is worth the price of admission for me to use them a lot. Anyways I bet from the way he is talking about grinding ears off and banging on the tranny tunnel he is having issues fitting it back in. I also suspect that he just needs to jack the front of his motor up a bit to change the angle it is at. Just saying that stumped me for about an hour or two when I was lifting mine back into place.

But that is why I asked. I'm going to stop by his house after work today and see if I can offer some insight. I have a wrist issue right now that prevents me from wrenching a whole lot but 3 hands are better than 2 either way.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Have the input shaft past the pressure plate fingers now, but struggling to adjust the transmission/trans jack/ and sliding it all into place. Doing this solo, on my back, not fun. Making progress, hoping to wrestle it in this afternoon.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like the splines for the input shaft aren't lined up with the clutch disc. I usually put the trans in gear so I can spin the output shaft while pushing the trans forward.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Trans is gear so that I can spin the shaft to make sure nothing is hitting or binding, just have to find the sweet spot and get it to line up and slide in.

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
Trans is gear so that I can spin the shaft to make sure nothing is hitting or binding, just have to find the sweet spot and get it to line up and slide in.

I should be off work within an hour or so and I will help you wrestle that thing in. It still might be making sure the motor and tranny are on the same plane. It sucks doing it on your own. I think the extra hand will help. Is it gonna rain on your side. Might have to swap cars. Don't want to drive to that side of town on my wore out DR's.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Weather looks ok, you should be good. Made a tiny bit of progress, engaged the splines on the input shaft, but not enough to slide the trans in. Trying to find the right angle to get everything to line up.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I always had to clock the transmission to about 2 o'clock to get it in. Also remember that the slave cylinder is going to fight you. If you have extra long bolts for the motor/trans then use a couple of these to draw the trans in until normal bolts can be used.

I also found it necessary to drop the A arms some and loosen the motor mounts so the motor could tilt back to help.

Hammeron has a write up on installing a RST clutch. It includes all the tricks for reinstalling a 3650 in a 3v.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
A mistake I made was getting the wiring pinched on the upper driver's side between the bell housing and the engine block. I drew it in using the bolts and pinched the wires right off. Had to pull it back out a week later to repair the wiring harness. Boy was I pissed at myself!

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
I always use a 2x4 on the crank pulley and jack up the engine up so the back points down. And stays there while I wrestle it in.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Got the trans back in! Thank you for the tips/tricks, alot more reassembly tomorrow but it feels like I am over the hump. Also wanted to give a shout out to Dean and Ed, local forum members who offered to stop by and help me with the install.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
i was doing it opposite when i pulled my motor, i rage quit a couple times and came in from the heat before i finally mated it together, and then i realized i didnt torque my slave cylinder down so had to do it all over again

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I always use a 2x4 on the crank pulley and jack up the engine up so the back points down. And stays there while I wrestle it in.

I do the same thing, and suggested it in my PM. I use a 4x4 block but some setups may not allow for it, 2x4 should work just as well. The 4x4 tends to be more stables, as you wiggle on the motor. But giving the motor just those few degrees of tilt really makes a difference. It's not the input shaft splines that are the bitch, it's sticking the nose of the input shaft into the pilot bearing that's the precision hit. You can grab splines, but hitting that pilot bearing dead on is the key. As I said in my PM, a tranny install will either be slick and quick or a battle to the death. Music, booze, friends, and patience will always win out on these projects though. As soon as that tranny slides in though, and that last bolt is torqued, you crawl out from under that car and put a swag in your step out of the garage like you just survived an epic battle. "This is Sparta" and such.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Got the trans back in! Thank you for the tips/tricks, alot more reassembly tomorrow but it feels like I am over the hump. Also wanted to give a shout out to Dean and Ed, local forum members who offered to stop by and help me with the install.

No problem. I'm glad you have gotten over the hump. Don't call me though to pump that clutch pedal, bad knees. Boy I'm getting effin old. Looks like I'm gonna have to start modding a mobility chair.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back