Hit the right gear, or hit the wall.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
This happened Friday night at my track. I was in the pits right near the traps when this happened. This was a brand new '14 GT with 800 miles on it. He hit 2nd gear instead of 4th and locked up the rear. He came out of it without a scratch, but the car was not so lucky.

Anyway, I've seen this happen a lot lately it seems, so be careful out there.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did that once in my 06GT years back, scared the crap out of me, locked up the rear tires, fortunately the car never got out of shape.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
/\/\/\ No shit! Instant reaction should be to put the clutch pedal through the floor...

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And now with this on the internetz......looks like he is going to have 5 years worth of payments with no car.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
My attitude is you pay to play, I don't expect anyone to cover my car if I wrecked it on the track.
I am pretty sure it's common knowledge it's not covered, I know the risks I take racing.
Besides insurance fraud is pretty serious and can fuck up your life more than a 30k car can.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Shit, I threw my 92 GT into REVERSE at the top end of the track once. Rear end bounced all over the place for an instant until I put the clutch in. Car worked perfectly after that - no tranny issues. Score one for the T5.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My attitude is you pay to play, I don't expect anyone to cover my car if I wrecked it on the track.
I am pretty sure it's common knowledge it's not covered, I know the risks I take racing.
Besides insurance fraud is pretty serious and can fuck up your life more than a 30k car can.

Preaching to the choir of course. I was just saying if he was going to attempt some shenanigans, he definitely is not now.

If he came out of this without even a trip to the hospital, then he is lucky. Just a short 2-3 day stay can be $50K.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
And now with this on the internetz......looks like he is going to have 5 years worth of payments with no car.

If there's a silver lining here, he traded two cars in on this, and only owes $6k. So at least, he'll be able to part it out enough to cover more than what he owes. That will still leave nearly $20k down the drain, but at least he won't be paying on it for years to come.

I looked at it pretty close after it was hauled back to the pits. I think it's fixable. But it won't be cheap. Super nice guy too. It sucks.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
MT-82 problems.

Mine won't even let me go into 2nd if I'm at a speed to go into 4th. Unless he just wasn't going that fast RPM wise.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Saw a 2012 tag the wall on the 1-2 shift at RMR. Seen a few get close trying to stay in it on stock cars with TC off.

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
If there's a silver lining here, he traded two cars in on this, and only owes $6k. So at least, he'll be able to part it out enough to cover more than what he owes. That will still leave nearly $20k down the drain, but at least he won't be paying on it for years to come.

I looked at it pretty close after it was hauled back to the pits. I think it's fixable. But it won't be cheap. Super nice guy too. It sucks.

I don't know..... $4,000 for the motor and $50.00 for the mt-82 puts him at $4050. :roflmao:

I guess he could always sell some in interior parts.

All seriousness it's a good thing he is ok. That's really all that matters.

joeymustang

forum member
Reaction score
I was also there, that definitely sucked. Glad the driver was ok. I almost hit the wall last time there with street tires. They are just not forgiving in that track. I won't go again unless I get some slicks.

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I've never been in this position but I have tried to down shift from 4th to 2nd with the clutch in and the stick just won't go in... I can't see how that would get forced in, doesn't the new tranny have some safeguards against that?

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
This happened Friday night at my track. I was in the pits right near the traps when this happened. This was a brand new '14 GT with 800 miles on it. He hit 2nd gear instead of 4th and locked up the rear. He came out of it without a scratch, but the car was not so lucky.

Anyway, I've seen this happen a lot lately it seems, so be careful out there.

http://s531.photobucket.com/user/19cobra93/media/IMG_98011_zps21d648d4.jpg.html

So I assume he still had the stock shifter?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I've never been in this position but I have tried to down shift from 4th to 2nd with the clutch in and the stick just won't go in... I can't see how that would get forced in, doesn't the new tranny have some safeguards against that?

His GT500 doesn't have a 3650.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back