Hooked on cornering, please advise :)

Captain_Stangin'

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I sent my car to the dealer today, made sure the service counter got a copy of TSB 10-3-7...

I am very disappointed at the service rep; he says the differential fluid residue is "very normal" and a little bit of leakage is no problem. I told him that a "little bit of leakage over a long time could become a lot of fluid lost". He didn't seem to follow me, so I will be talking to the service manager tomorrow.

This really pisses me off, this is my 4th Ford from that dealer and my 1st Mustang, I don't think I am entitled to special treatment, but jeez, isn't a fluid leak, especially from something as important as a rear diff worth repairing?

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
Mine leaked so bad gear oil would drip on the ground after hard laps. I built an aluminum catch can, problem solved.

picture.php

Reaction score
Well, I sent my car to the dealer today, made sure the service counter got a copy of TSB 10-3-7...

I am very disappointed at the service rep; he says the differential fluid residue is "very normal" and a little bit of leakage is no problem. I told him that a "little bit of leakage over a long time could become a lot of fluid lost". He didn't seem to follow me, so I will be talking to the service manager tomorrow.

This really pisses me off, this is my 4th Ford from that dealer and my 1st Mustang, I don't think I am entitled to special treatment, but jeez, isn't a fluid leak, especially from something as important as a rear diff worth repairing?

Are you saying they didn't even try to look at how much fluid is in there? Doesn't surprise me, but that's kinda shady. The least they could do is humor you and pull the plug and see what comes out.

One thing to keep in mind when working with anyone in a dealer: Treat them like the fucking scum they are and you'll get what you want. It's not the way I like to do things, but I've worked in dealers before and the only ones that got what they wanted were friends of the owners and people who had balls to get in peoples faces and make a stink about it.

For example: You could have said back to his "Normal residue BS": Are you a mechanic or are you the guy who wanted to be a mechanic, but failed miserably and took this job?

lol. j/k. But you get what I mean.

Last edited:

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
The rear will puke out diff fluid under hard cornering. Fab a catch can from aluminum (or even a water bottle if you're desperate). I bought one from Shelby for a pretty inflated price, but it works well.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
I like the Shelby piece a lot, but I'm almost scared to ask how much it cost! Extending the vent with a piece of hose, which has worked for a few of the local guys here, didn't stop it for me so I went into overkill mode:

P8010475.jpg

Captain_Stangin'

forum member
Reaction score
Talked to the service manager and my salesman, same BS, they tell me I have to bring it do them dripping. I tell them okay, I will be back after doing some donuts.

They tell me that I "might have a driving problem" and that driving a Mustang like that will void the warranty. I went into the sales department and got brochures for Mustangs...they all have at least 1 picture of a Mustang burning rubber. I told them, Don't advertise what you can't do, I will buy my 5.0L somewhere else.

Needless to say, I will try another dealer.

And no, lazy fucks didn't even check it. I know because I marked the fill plug.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back