Hot Rod cams install=code P0022 with the BBR tune but runs fine on the JLT tune..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When the car is running right they sound good....more work ahead of me this weekend.

motorheadchuck

forum member
Reaction score
Well let me know what your results are greg, as you and I are in the same boat at the moment, and I think the hole is getting bigger......

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will...I had my timing cover off my 97 GT but that was with the engine out of the car so this will be interesting!

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
So Greg, how do you like those cams? Do they at least sound good at idle?

"Oh yeah, man...they SOUND great at an idle. Doesn't run worth a shit and has all kinds of issues going into limp mode, fucked up shit with the tunes, and weird things going on but they SOUND great!"

:LMAO:

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
Hey greg, if you can get your hands on a in lb torque wrench I would say to re-torque all the camshaft bearing caps. Converting ft. lb into in. lb. doesn't quite work.

motorheadchuck

forum member
Reaction score
I am having the same problem with mine, and I have new cam phaser bolts, and used an inch lb torque wrench when needed, so Im pretty sure you can cross that off the list of being the problem. Ive also tossed on a new set of cam phasers since the issue began, and still no improvement

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am having the same problem with mine, and I have new cam phaser bolts, and used an inch lb torque wrench when needed, so Im pretty sure you can cross that off the list of being the problem. Ive also tossed on a new set of cam phasers since the issue began, and still no improvement

have you removed your timing cover and absolutely double checked the timing properly by bringing cyl 1 to TDC and making sure all the timing marks on the chains, cam gears, and crank gear match?

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
/\/\ i'll venture a "no" on that one. i feel like i lucked out now with my cam install after all the trouble some of us are having. i just have a hard time understanding how the timing could be lost at the crank gear if the wedge was installed before disconnecting the camshaft sprockets. i don't get it. there was no chance when did mine that i lost the timing.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
/\/\ i'll venture a "no" on that one. i feel like i lucked out now with my cam install after all the trouble some of us are having. i just have a hard time understanding how the timing could be lost at the crank gear if the wedge was installed before disconnecting the camshaft sprockets. i don't get it. there was no chance when did mine that i lost the timing.

What did you use for the wedge?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

because the wedge isnt perfect, and because there is a ton of slack in the chains even with pressure at times. Ive retimed my car 3x already, once when replacing the oil pump, and 2 more times because i hada noise and wanted to eliminate timing as an issue. 2 of the 3 times i did it by removing the cover. only the middle time idd i use the wedge tool. IMO best to take the extra hours work and remove the timing cover to do a job like this to VISUALLY note the timing is perfect.

motorheadchuck

forum member
Reaction score
i havnt had a chance to yet, I am going to as soon as I get a chance, I build old skool hot rods for a living and everyone wants there stuff done now. Gotta love and hate when the weather gets nice.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
because the wedge isnt perfect, and because there is a ton of slack in the chains even with pressure at times. Ive retimed my car 3x already, once when replacing the oil pump, and 2 more times because i hada noise and wanted to eliminate timing as an issue. 2 of the 3 times i did it by removing the cover. only the middle time idd i use the wedge tool. IMO best to take the extra hours work and remove the timing cover to do a job like this to VISUALLY note the timing is perfect.

I don't understand where the slack is/was as when we were putting the wedge in the chains were tight, no slack whatsover...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back