How hot is too hot?

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
This is a question about slicks and burn outs. So if you want to move to to drag racing that's fine

I know you can overheat a slick. Do you guys think I need to do a full white smoke burnout if I'm hot lapping? When I say hot lapping I mean I do a run and I'm back at the starting line in under 15 minutes.

And no I don't know how hot I get them as I am a lone racer with no pit crew to check the tires after the burn out.

As of now I do full but outs every time. But I'm starting to think I shouldn't have to if I'm getting back to the line fast enough.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Test. Do a series of burnouts for varying lengths of time, and see what 60 times you make. Try and be consistent on the launch (obviously), in order to make more valid data.

Alternately, get a buddy to come with you to the track, give him a probe pyrometer, and get him to take some temps

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
I found I could do a shorter burnout, its kinda hard to tell sometimes and I go by instinct off the feel after I let out of the burnout before staging, if it doesnt feel like it grabs I backup and give it another spin

With that said, I didnt think hot lapping made a huge difference until I started letting the car cool down, yeah it made a difference...

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I do my burnout in second year as you need to reach 40 mph to get enough heat going. I hold it for about 5 seconds then slowly roll out. I repeat this even hot lapping. I'm a bracket racer and this has worked for the best consistency for me. I run MT drag radials.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
I do my burnout in second year as you need to reach 40 mph to get enough heat going. I hold it for about 5 seconds then slowly roll out. I repeat this even hot lapping. I'm a bracket racer and this has worked for the best consistency for me. I run MT drag radials.

I do the same, I have tried longer in first gear vs doing in second and played around, I feel like this is more to do with our choice of tire though and another combo might need something different (friends with hoosier stiff wall slicks just clean them off)

I actually spin them first in first in the waterbox and then in second to heat them, what do you do? (Note Im stick vs auto)

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
I do second gear 50 to 60 mph burnouts until white smoke apears. As soon as they are smoking they are as hot as they are going to get I read somewhere. Then I roll out until they start sqwaking real good.

Im trying to determine if I need to do this if I'm hot lapping. (10 to 20 min apart)

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
My experience is that it also matters what tire you have. Bias ply tires seem not to need a lot of heat and the radials do. If you go read Mickey Thompsons suggestions, they only want the outside of the tires cleaned off and the surface of the tires heated. I've used both bias ply and DRs and the Bias seem not to need near as much heat in them.

Definately a second gear burnout with either. Just maybe a little bit of a time difference depending on your set up.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back