How many auto S550s out there?

Kris_H

forum member
Reaction score
So I know most of the folks on here picking up '15 Musangs are going for the manual option "because Mustang" but how many of you have opted for the auto trans? And if so, how are you liking it? The EcoBoost I drove had the auto trans and I really liked it, especially when compared against the 5-speed auto my '05 had lol. Just curious to see what percentage so far has opted for the auto and is currently, no doubt, dealing with people asking where the 3rd pedal is.

Kris

Kris_H

forum member
Reaction score
:asshat:

I should have said that I'm asking more from a market research point of view and not looking for an argument on why manual is better because it makes you manlier. ;)

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've driven them all and I prefer a manual in the 5.0 and an auto in the ecoboost.

Budwise

forum member
Reaction score
The Performance Pack only comes in MT, that pretty much killed any decision making for me.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I haven't driven ANY s550, but I am curious as to why so many people seem to dig the EB with an auto? I assume maybe the quick shifting of the auto keeps the car "in boost" better? Just curious, since it has been years since I have owned a turbo car, and even back then it was still a stick shift.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Turbos like to be loaded. Autos are always loaded.

timfoster405

forum member
Reaction score
This is my third auto... 07, 13, and now '15. I am done with a clutch and rowing...(before that I had 7 mustangs w/ manuals)

So, now I have a base '15 auto w/ 3.55's. The sport mode shifting using the paddles is pretty cool, but I have only used a few times...but it is really a novelty. The car's computer can shift way more efficient than you can paddle it. The car drives really nice in both regular and sport shift mode. I really can't tell any WOT difference between the two modes.

Sport shift mode has the car shifting under normal conditions at around 2300 rpms... while in the regular D mode at around 1700 rpms.

One thing to note, the 3.55's in an auto is really too much gear and just causes you to spin more...If I had to do it all over again, I would have just gotten the standard 3.15's.

Maybe with a sticky drag radial at the track it might help, but it smokes the tires up instantly in 1st gear on the radials.

On a slightly cold day, w/ traction control off, the car will spin at WOT in 2nd gear... now that is crazy for an automatic stock car. But what the hell... I have been called crazy on the forum by most anyway...

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I haven't driven ANY s550, but I am curious as to why so many people seem to dig the EB with an auto? I assume maybe the quick shifting of the auto keeps the car "in boost" better? Just curious, since it has been years since I have owned a turbo car, and even back then it was still a stick shift.
I can give you a nice comparison. My Focus ST was a stick, obviously. It felt nice and quick. But my Fusion Ecoboost feels stronger because it just keeps the turbo right where it likes to be.

claudermilk

Reaction score
I can give you a nice comparison. My Focus ST was a stick, obviously. It felt nice and quick. But my Fusion Ecoboost feels stronger because it just keeps the turbo right where it likes to be.
I notice the same on my Fusion. Once you get it into boost, the transmission keeps it on boil pretty well. The paddles are even useful for when you want to pull off a passing maneuver--drop it in S mode, drop a gear, and it's all spooled up and ready to go. I would expect the S550 EB to behave similarly.

redfire_07

Reaction score
Can't say I liked the Eco boost at all. The V6 motor was much better for that power.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
didnt want to start a new thread but anyone know when the 2016's will be available to "order"? I know it will have the new sync 3 but anything else... like 50hp more? haha

FATHERFORD

Reaction score
I went auto 5.0 as I just about turbo everything I have.

So I did a burnout in the dealership parking lot, and dropped it off for fab work with only 70 miles on the car.

Thereaper

forum member
Reaction score
This is my third auto... 07, 13, and now '15. I am done with a clutch and rowing...(before that I had 7 mustangs w/ manuals)

So, now I have a base '15 auto w/ 3.55's. The sport mode shifting using the paddles is pretty cool, but I have only used a few times...but it is really a novelty. The car's computer can shift way more efficient than you can paddle it. The car drives really nice in both regular and sport shift mode. I really can't tell any WOT difference between the two modes.

Sport shift mode has the car shifting under normal conditions at around 2300 rpms... while in the regular D mode at around 1700 rpms.

One thing to note, the 3.55's in an auto is really too much gear and just causes you to spin more...If I had to do it all over again, I would have just gotten the standard 3.15's.

Maybe with a sticky drag radial at the track it might help, but it smokes the tires up instantly in 1st gear on the radials.

On a slightly cold day, w/ traction control off, the car will spin at WOT in 2nd gear... now that is crazy for an automatic stock car. But what the hell... I have been called crazy on the forum by most anyway...

My car does that.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back