How many drive/drag race

brett2008

forum member
Reaction score
How many drive and drag race thier stangs onna regular basis?Im kinda torn because nxt yr i wanna move further w/mods, blower.....Rite now its docile sct tuner/4:10 gears/pullies...cold air..just basic.How far can i go, and still drive to the car show...

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think I read about a 8 or 9 second car driving from AZ to FL and back, in the freaking snow no less. I think you could take it pretty far. I plan on going F/I with 10PSI which should put me 550 to 600HP. It will be 100% streetable.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
How many drive and drag race thier stangs onna regular basis?Im kinda torn because nxt yr i wanna move further w/mods, blower.....Rite now its docile sct tuner/4:10 gears/pullies...cold air..just basic.How far can i go, and still drive to the car show...

I drive it daily and drag race it every few months for the last 4 years, hasn't let me down. (except for some early on trans TSB synchro issue)
I launch at 5k and shift like a nut too :beerchug2:
I will tell you this is the most reliable toughest car I've ever owned.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Daily driver and monthly racer since I purchased it in 2009. Great car, super reliable. Over 100 passes with the blower.

Last edited:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Daily driver and take it down the track as well. Blew a motor, sheared a shifter, wasted a true-trac and gears. Still driving and racing. You have to be ready to break shit if you're going to race.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

I'm lucky if I can get to the track 3 times a year. I drive 90 miles one way through two major cities to get there. I've done it with a Whipple, made 14 passes with a few of those mid 11's, drove home, filled up and still got 18 mpg.

It's doable, especially with forced induction.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Its my DD in the summer and I drive about 2 hrs to the track run 12's and drive home and (knock on wood) it hasn't let me down yet.

JerryC

Reaction score
I made 5 passes last year ( two trips) after the blower went on. It's my daily driver, still gets 20 mpg combined and 26 hwy.

matt06

forum member
Reaction score
drove my car every day with a p1 and beat on it pretty regularly. as long as you dont get stupid with the boost level and have a good tune you should have no real issues..

only concern is one day youll get addicted and next thing you know your cars in the middle of being completely built and you dont even remember the last time you actually drove it lol

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score

If you plan on boosting a stock motor you should not expect it to last long if you race it or even drive it hard. Mine lasted a month, only one trip to the track and less than 1,000 miles on the street with a whipple on 9-10 lbs.

forum member
Reaction score
I don't use my car for commuting but it does get driven about 60-100 miles a week and I take it to the track at least 3 times a year; which comes out to be about 30 passes at the 1/4 mile strip. My engine is completely stock though, and I go to the test n tune nights if you call that racing. I also try to attend a track day at Road Atlanta once a year.
These tracks are no more than 50 miles away and I'm hesitant to drive more than 4 hours to get to a track. I'm afraid I'd break something on the day that I do and not have a ride home. I don't have a trailer for it.

forum member
Reaction score
If you plan on boosting a stock motor you should not expect it to last long if you race it or even drive it hard. Mine lasted a month, only one trip to the track and less than 1,000 miles on the street with a whipple on 9-10 lbs.
How much power was it making on 9lbs?

GerRod

forum member
Reaction score
I'm coming up on a year with the Whipple. I haven't made a pass with it due to my clutch deteriorating. However, I do some spirited driving and have raced a car or two. I'm at 495/463 with 9-10 psi of boost (mods in sig). She's held together so far.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I drive mine whenever I want but I don't work, so it's sort of my DD. I also take it to the track occasionally. Went to a private track rental this month and drove 2 hours to get there. I lowered the air in the rears, made about 8 passes, best of 11.09@126, aired the tires back up and then drove the 2 hours home without touching anything mechanical on the car. I wouldn't be afraid to drive my car anywhere.

Earl

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
I think I read about a 8 or 9 second car driving from AZ to FL and back, in the freaking snow no less. I think you could take it pretty far. I plan on going F/I with 10PSI which should put me 550 to 600HP. It will be 100% streetable.
I tell u what isn't streetale is 10 MPG. Gas mileage is something to consider as well. This one of the reasons I've held off on getting a blower. I can't have a DD getting 10 MPG. Ill probably buy a motorcycle in the very near future

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I tell u what isn't streetale is 10 MPG. Gas mileage is something to consider as well. This one of the reasons I've held off on getting a blower. I can't have a DD getting 10 MPG. Ill probably buy a motorcycle in the very near future

It doesn't have to be that way. I can do over 20mpg on gasoline.

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
I wish I knew how you did it. I'm getting 13.1 n/a with half city half hwy

Damn.. thats really bad. Guess those cams really killed mpg huh?
We have almost identical mods minus the cams and I get 17 mpg 100% city.

But back to OP, I had about 20 passes this year and my gear is starting to whine a little bit lol.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back