How much Dynamat do I need?

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
I'd like to dynamat the trunk area of my 06 GT. Mainly to cut down on exhaust noise and exterior rattles from the subwoofer in my trunk. Just wanted to get an idea of how much I should buy (planning to buy off ebay and do it myself)? Was hoping someone else here has done it and could share some info.

Also, not that it's a HUGE concern, but how much does this stuff weigh? I'm only doing the trunk area, just curious more than anything.

Thanks! :thumb2:

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Hushmat sells a trunk kit... it is hands down the most superior sound deading material on the market. The foil wont cut the shit out of your hands, almost no prep time, and made in the usa. You can also cut it with houshold scissors and it wont gum them up... dynomat has a bunch of fillers in that include asphalt materials...its basically a flashing used in roofing that dynomat marketed...hushmat is made of butyl rubber that has no fillers... a trunk kit will weigh around 22-25lbs...

Im a hushmat rep if you couldnt tell...

DRock

Reaction score
Hushmat sells a trunk kit... it is hands down the most superior sound deading material on the market. The foil wont cut the shit out of your hands, almost no prep time, and made in the usa. You can also cut it with houshold scissors and it wont gum them up... dynomat has a bunch of fillers in that include asphalt materials...its basically a flashing used in roofing that dynomat marketed...hushmat is made of butyl rubber that has no fillers... a trunk kit will weigh around 22-25lbs...

shoot me a quote or where to buy.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score

Can you PM me some more information on where to buy the kit, can I order through you?

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
i bought a huge ass roll of fat max on ebay for $200. i did the entire trunk and backseat area of a camaro, did the entire trunk of my mustang then took all the plastic enterior out of the backseat area and did it and still have enough to do my door panels when i decide to get off my ass. weight for the entire roll i bought was about 40 to 45 lbs im guessing.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
i bought a huge ass roll of fat max on ebay for $200. i did the entire trunk and backseat area of a camaro, did the entire trunk of my mustang then took all the plastic enterior out of the backseat area and did it and still have enough to do my door panels when i decide to get off my ass. weight for the entire roll i bought was about 40 to 45 lbs im guessing.

Noticable difference in road noise/ sound quality?

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
it did take the road noise down and the exhaust sound but i did it to keep all the rattling down from the 2 12's in the trunk. it helped with that alot. i even put it on the back of my licsense plate and the licsense plate frame.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
it did take the road noise down and the exhaust sound but i did it to keep all the rattling down from the 2 12's in the trunk. it helped with that alot. i even put it on the back of my licsense plate and the licsense plate frame.

Awesome! Yea these plastic interiors do NOT like my 12'' Kenwood Sub. And I want to get rid of the rattles on the exterior, don't need my car sounding like a rattlecan when I'm sitting at a red light..... lol.

Glad to hear it's worth it though, I'll probably pick up some off ebay. How many 'feet' did you get off Ebay? Just so I can get an idea of how much I should buy.

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
i just remember buying the biggest roll they had of the FAT MAT. maybe 200 sq ft but i really cant remember. i also put it on the plastic rear panels while i had them out. i wasnt worried about the weight as much as i wanted stuff to quit rattling.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
If you're looking to sound deaden the car, you shouldn't need to cover EVERYTHING in a sound dampening material. If I remember correctly, you should only need to cover about 20% of the surface area.

For quality sound deadening, you'll need to lay a layer of dampening material (dynomat, fatmat w/ 20% coverage) a layer of closed cell foam (like neoprean) and then a layer of thin vinyl.

If you're just looking to cut down rattles, the dampening materials will work, but if you want actual sound deadening you'll need a bit more.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
If you're looking to sound deaden the car, you shouldn't need to cover EVERYTHING in a sound dampening material. If I remember correctly, you should only need to cover about 20% of the surface area.

For quality sound deadening, you'll need to lay a layer of dampening material (dynomat, fatmat w/ 20% coverage) a layer of closed cell foam (like neoprean) and then a layer of thin vinyl.

If you're just looking to cut down rattles, the dampening materials will work, but if you want actual sound deadening you'll need a bit more.

Meh, not looking to 'sound proof' my interior. I don't daily drive my stang, so it really doesn't bother me. It's a nice perk though. Mainly want to cut down rattles inside and out. Not looking to make this an extensive project or anything.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Meh, not looking to 'sound proof' my interior. I don't daily drive my stang, so it really doesn't bother me. It's a nice perk though. Mainly want to cut down rattles inside and out. Not looking to make this an extensive project or anything.

Totally get it. Sound proofing isn't that expencive though....not too much more than doing a full cover of the area in dynomat/fatmat etc.
But again, totally get it. If it's not what you're looking to do, it's not what you're looking to do.
Good luck and post some pictures of the project.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I used two 36 square feet packages of dynamat. It covered everything except the floor and firewall. Trunk, doors, the whole area under and alongside the rear seats.

Added about 50 lbs and cut road noise considerably. So did getting the right tires. If I ever put a rollbar in and have the interior out it will get more sound proofing.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
How much material would you approximately need for the entire floor of the interior + the trunk? Any key areas to cover besides the floor and possibly the doors?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back