what motor do i have>?

whitmanink

Reaction score
hey guys hope all is well,,

today i got my engine , off a AA auto on ebay ,
when i got the motor , the add said 05 06 07 08,,
i dont know what year it is tho,, and if i have the dreaded spark plugs,,?

i can see the intake is 2 piece cmcv ,

the heads have an 05 stamped on them at the exhaust port,

the coolant stuff is the same as my 09 tho,, (from one head to the other by alternator)

other than that i dont really have much to go on,, i did open each valve cover to look inside,, all cams look good,, zero scuffs or scoring on the lobes,, just oil varnish

with that said, the cam caps have numbers for identifying which goes where,, my 09 do not , they were blank

Miker

Reaction score
Are the plugs still in the new motor? I believe the newer style heads take a different spark plug socket than the ones with the dreaded plugs.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Both the older and the newer plugs require a 9/16" socket so that's no help in distinguishing between the two.
The difference is in the thread diameter (16mm older & 12mm newer).
The driver's side valve cover should have a barcode label stuck on it with the middle six digits showing the build date of the engine.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Are the coil boots different? Black for early years and brown for the later?

Miker

Reaction score
So when I bought my car I got very little information since the actual owner had dementia and most records were lost in a fire. I did get a receipt showing a new engine. It was done at the dealership in 2014. The engine was a long block from Ford. Ford 5R3Z-6006-BARM. I tried to find out if it is the newer style head motor but was unable to. Also if you look at the repair invoice it seems that the tech used the old timing chains. If you look at the description from Ford I cannot confirm that the sealed long block came with timing chains. But why would Ford sell a complete long block without timing chains?
Attached is the invoice and the description of the components of the long block.
If you look at the pdf look at page 14 and 15. That description says for a sealed long block (6006) what it comes with. What is confusing is it says timing gear(s) - chains, belt.
https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/ford-parts/wcdocs/PowertrainCatalog.pdf

engine.jpg

Last edited:

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
Pull a spark plug out... Then you will know.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Two important differences between the early 4.6 and the later 4.6. Those are the coolant crossover and then the spark plugs. As stated above, black boot or brown boot on the spark plug leads? A pic of the coolant crossover on the front of the engine will also help.

If you got a long block from Ford in 2014 then there is about a 99% chance it is the newer style. I doubt they would sell you the old design 15 years after it went out of production.

Miker

Reaction score
I don't think that shows what you would need to see. I think I did plug in that number into a compatibility chart and it said it did not jive with the 2009. If there are things that are different like the coolant crossover and other things that would be reason enough for the dealership to install the correct motor for the 2005 year. It is a remanufactured motor so I would think they have plenty of either style cores to rebuild.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
Or.... you could take out just 1 spark plug and answer the question.

Miker

Reaction score
I've got a 5.4 in my 2004 F150 that has 115k on it. Still on the original 100k rated plugs. Runs great. I will not change them until it starts running poorly because of the spark plug issue.
With about 150k currently on the Mustang And 36k on the motor I may never have to change the plugs in it. I am more concerned with the timing chains. Again I can't see Ford selling a long block without new timing chains. But that invoice I posted is confusing.
You can see on the invoice the 5R3C 6006 long block at $4462.00 but on the next page the mechanics notes don't really jive.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
I looks like the coolant system I had on my 2006. I can see the hoses going in/out both sides. I’m still learning so don’t take my word but I just replaced my crossover and it looked like that setup

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
I've got a 5.4 in my 2004 F150 that has 115k on it. Still on the original 100k rated plugs. Runs great. I will not change them until it starts running poorly because of the spark plug issue.
With about 150k currently on the Mustang And 36k on the motor I may never have to change the plugs in it. I am more concerned with the timing chains. Again I can't see Ford selling a long block without new timing chains. But that invoice I posted is confusing.
You can see on the invoice the 5R3C 6006 long block at $4462.00 but on the next page the mechanics notes don't really jive.
Don't be afraid of the old style plugs. Use an impact gun to remove them when the engine is warm. They come right out. I've changed multiple sets on both 5.4 and 4.6 3v engines and NEVER had one break using an impact gun.

Here's Ford Tech Makuloco (who makes a bunch of reputable videos on Ford stuff) using the same method:

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score

It's definitely an 05-06 'cause it has the earlier style coolant crossover with two hoses coming from the top, so that should answer your query. Mine looks exactly the same but not for much longer 'cause I have all the parts needed to convert it to an 07-10 style cooling system.
As I mentioned earlier, read the middle six digits on the driver's side valve cover barcode sticker 'cause these show the build date of the engine.

whitmanink

Reaction score
the engine came with no coils , and also they spray painted the valve cover,
if it is the old heads, i can use my 2009 crossover tube to make it newer ?
as for the spark plugs, if its different mm than im stuck with the crappy plugs,,?
im afraid to take a plug out just incase

JC SSP

Reaction score
So when I bought my car I got very little information since the actual owner had dementia and most records were lost in a fire. I did get a receipt showing a new engine. It was done at the dealership in 2014. The engine was a long block from Ford. Ford 5R3Z-6006-BARM. I tried to find out if it is the newer style head motor but was unable to. Also if you look at the repair invoice it seems that the tech used the old timing chains. If you look at the description from Ford I cannot confirm that the sealed long block came with timing chains. But why would Ford sell a complete long block without timing chains?
Attached is the invoice and the description of the components of the long block.
If you look at the pdf look at page 14 and 15. That description says for a sealed long block (6006) what it comes with. What is confusing is it says timing gear(s) - chains, belt.
https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/ford-parts/wcdocs/PowertrainCatalog.pdf

View attachment 87138

This is a little confusing... normally these invoices are broken down to Parts and Labor, this is all inclusive. Could it be possible that this was just for the timing gear/chain etc. replacement and not a factory replacement long block?

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Brisk
the engine came with no coils , and also they spray painted the valve cover,
if it is the old heads, i can use my 2009 crossover tube to make it newer ?
as for the spark plugs, if its different mm than im stuck with the crappy plugs,,?
im afraid to take a plug out just incase
Brisk makes a one piece plug...to replace those older 2 x piece style plugs.

whitmanink

Reaction score
soo my coolant crossover is the old style,
i have the newer one from my 09,
can i just switch them to use the hoses i got , or is there more i need , ? thanks again guys

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
soo my coolant crossover is the old style,
i have the newer one from my 09,
can i just switch them to use the hoses i got , or is there more i need , ? thanks again guys

You'll need the newer crossover with its thermostat housing and thermostat, upper/lower radiator hoses (two instead of six), a gasket set for the crossover, and a gasket for the t'stat housing. You'll also need to lightly modify (easy) your existing alternator mounting bracket to make it fit. Don't even bother trying to look for a newer style alternator mounting bracket 'cause they've been discontinued.
When I eventually get around to converting mine, I'll do a comprehensive write up with lots of photos.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back