How safe is Nitrous on a stock GT?

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think the -4* is off of the stock tune...but I'm running 125 on a 87 octane tune...which I'm sure has a bit more timing than the stock tune..

That's what I was running when I had the kit installed at Strictly; Bamachips 87 Perf tune, and no problems (running 93 octane fuel). Now I'm running the same tune with 4º pulled off from 2000 to 8000 rpm. I datalogged with this tune, and the tune hovers between 17º and 21º. The only thing is that when I'm not spraying (I only generally spray when "conducting business"), and I'm WOT, the car feels a little aneamic.I think I'm gonna datalog the stock tune to see what it runs...I'm tempted to add back the 4º to the 87 Bamatune. Doug said I should be ok running 93 octane on his 87 tune.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Go careful there as the stock intake may not flow well enough for more than a 100 shot without puddling. This is why Doug wont tune over 100. Get a C&L intake
The C&L is the intake tube...what Doug is referring to is the intake manifold, and I mentioned what Doug said to Richard at Strictly, and he almost fell over laughing. I've only got 3 lbs left in my 3rd 10 lb bottle with a 125 shot, and I seriously doubt I have any puddling in the intake.

Last edited:

KBBlack06GT

SLOWESTmustangHERE
Reaction score
I am looking to surprise a few folks at the track this summer, with my rather stock 06 GT. The only mods I have are 373's CAI, and a bamatune custom tune.
Is nitrous safe to use on a stock motor? If so, how much is safe? 100, 150 shot?
Thanks for your thoughts...

Kevin

ive ran nitrous on my s197 ever since i got it. 75shot no tune needed.. 100shot ur gonna want a custom tune and spark plugs that are one heat range colder. ive been running 100 on it for the last 2 years, and has probably seen about 20 bottle fills. made 390whp 460rwtq through the auto tranny.. and ran 12.3 @ 118 on stock tires.

i wouldnt go over a 125 with stock fuel pumps. even with pumps, anything above 150 is risking it.

Bkid

forum member
Reaction score
That's what I was running when I had the kit installed at Strictly; Bamachips 87 Perf tune, and no problems (running 93 octane fuel). Now I'm running the same tune with 4º pulled off from 2000 to 8000 rpm. I datalogged with this tune, and the tune hovers between 17º and 21º. The only thing is that when I'm not spraying (I only generally spray when "conducting business"), and I'm WOT, the car feels a little aneamic.I think I'm gonna datalog the stock tune to see what it runs...I'm tempted to add back the 4º to the 87 Bamatune. Doug said I should be ok running 93 octane on his 87 tune.
It is always better to run higher octane. I run 101 race fuel ,unleaded of course. I RUN Doug`s 100 shot tune and like it. Do you prefer Richards tune over Dougs?

Bkid

forum member
Reaction score
ive ran nitrous on my s197 ever since i got it. 75shot no tune needed.. 100shot ur gonna want a custom tune and spark plugs that are one heat range colder. ive been running 100 on it for the last 2 years, and has probably seen about 20 bottle fills. made 390whp 460rwtq through the auto tranny.. and ran 12.3 @ 118 on stock tires.

i wouldnt go over a 125 with stock fuel pumps. even with pumps, anything above 150 is risking it.
Yep I am leary of having a stock fuel pump at a 100 shot. I will soon upgrade to a GT40 pump.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It is always better to run higher octane. I run 101 race fuel ,unleaded of course. I RUN Doug`s 100 shot tune and like it. Do you prefer Richards tune over Dougs?

I was running a 125 shot, Doug won't write me a tune for 125. Iwanted to run his 100 shot and would have swapped out the jets to do so, but he won't write me a tune for 100 because he thinks I'll run it with the 125 shot. I wrote him an email absolving him of any responsability, but still no cigar., Maybe I'll call Brenspeed and see if they have one....I really wish Doug would answer my email. Maybe I'll just get Strictly or PSI do make me a tune on the dyno. The tune works fine for the spraying part, it just feels weak below 4000rpm when not spraying. My calibration code is XZE2.

SloSVO

Village Idiot
Reaction score

What else is done to the car? 118 out of a 100 shot is kinda on the high side...i'm auto also and only get 109 with a zex 125...

Bkid

forum member
Reaction score
I was running a 125 shot, Doug won't write me a tune for 125. Iwanted to run his 100 shot and would have swapped out the jets to do so, but he won't write me a tune for 100 because he thinks I'll run it with the 125 shot. I wrote him an email absolving him of any responsability, but still no cigar., Maybe I'll call Brenspeed and see if they have one....I really wish Doug would answer my email. Maybe I'll just get Strictly or PSI do make me a tune on the dyno. The tune works fine for the spraying part, it just feels weak below 4000rpm when not spraying. My calibration code is XZE2.
I run my 91 Bama race tune when not spraying and it is hot. I love it. Do you have his race tune?

Bkid

forum member
Reaction score
What else is done to the car? 118 out of a 100 shot is kinda on the high side...i'm auto also and only get 109 with a zex 125...
No it is right on, I am at 117 at 5600 ft above sea level. That is if I hit it later down the track. Now my best time is 12.091 at 111.282 with a 1.767 60`. That was spraying out of the hole. It may have something to do with it, as to when you spray of course.

KBBlack06GT

SLOWESTmustangHERE
Reaction score
Yep I am leary of having a stock fuel pump at a 100 shot. I will soon upgrade to a GT40 pump.

i recommend the gt500 pumps, theyre good to like 800hp, more than eough, and theyre plug n play

Last edited:

KBBlack06GT

SLOWESTmustangHERE
Reaction score
intake, longtube headers,x-pipe, magnaflow race pack cat-back, u/d pulleys, 3.90 gears, nos 100 shot.... and custome tune..

Bkid

forum member
Reaction score
i recommend the gt500 pumps, theyre good to like 800hp, more than eough, and theyre plug n play
Yea if your going to be spraing more than 150 shot maybe. I think the gt 500 pump is overkill, and would not benefit you unless you where spaying over 150 shot. I do like the plug and play it is just not what I would go with for what I am spraying.

KBBlack06GT

SLOWESTmustangHERE
Reaction score
Yea if your going to be spraing more than 150 shot maybe. I think the gt 500 pump is overkill, and would not benefit you unless you where spaying over 150 shot. I do like the plug and play it is just not what I would go with for what I am spraying.

u get used to power real fast.. i would still get the gt500 pumps, not that much more, and u dont have to worry about fuel if u keep adding hp to ur pony..

Bkid

forum member
Reaction score
u get used to power real fast.. i would still get the gt500 pumps, not that much more, and u dont have to worry about fuel if u keep adding hp to ur pony..
You do not think that is to much for a 100 shot?

KBBlack06GT

SLOWESTmustangHERE
Reaction score
You do not think that is to much for a 100 shot?

no, ur injectors only flow a certain amount, so doesnt matter. besides, ur eventually gona wanna make it faster... diff power adder, cams, etc... and one thing u wont have to worry about is fuel.

Bkid

forum member
Reaction score
with the pumps id go higher than 100....
Yea IF I could find a tuner who I could trust out hear then maybe. I just do not trust any at here, they tune hondas and subaru`s. I may come out with a whale tail. FTS

chopstix

Nitrous Tech
Reaction score
Yea me too. 1 DEGREE for every 50 is the rule.

close but not 100% correct.

The rule of thumb is 1-2* per 50 HP....it will all depend on the car and what is needed for that application.

I am currently pulling 8* from my base WOT timing for a 200 shot.

The thing to remember is you are not pulling timing only to make it safer, by reducing timing you are actualy allowing the car to make more power. ;)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back