How to Clean Rod Ends

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing some winter maintenance this weekend. I need to clean the rod ends I have in my rear control arms, Panhard bar, etc. What's the "proper" way to do this? I was thinking of unbolting them from the car, spraying with WD-40, wiping them, and then spraying with motorcycle chain lubricant to protect them.

Thoughts?

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Brake cleaner! Just kidding. I don't know about cleaning them but what's wrong with synthetic grease to lube them?

BMR Tech 2

Kelly's Replacement Lackey
Reaction score
Use a mild soap and water solution like dish soap to clean all the dirt and grime off, then blast them dry with compressed air. Once the bearings are clean and dry, use the chain lube to keep them that way. Don't use WD-40. You may also want to throw some rod end boots over them to help protect them.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sit-rers3

Brake cleaner! Just kidding. I don't know about cleaning them but what's wrong with synthetic grease to lube them?

If you lube spherical bearings with a sticky lube like that, it will just wear them faster. Dirt and other crap will still to the grease, get worked into the bushing, and wreck the lining. Dry lubes only!

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Ah, spherical bearing. Got it. The chain lube I use on my bike is far from dry. My gold link chain is black as sin. What kind are you referring to?

BMR Tech 2

Kelly's Replacement Lackey
Reaction score
I was hoping BMR was going to tell me how to clean my BMR parts. Thanks!

No problem, Vince!

Ah, spherical bearing. Got it. The chain lube I use on my bike is far from dry. My gold link chain is black as sin. What kind are you referring to?

I typically use Amsoil HDMP. Spray it on as a liquid and it dries into a waxy substance.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I use the same type stuff. Just wondering if there was something else I could try.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
No problem, Vince!

I typically use Amsoil HDMP. Spray it on as a liquid and it dries into a waxy substance.

this stuff ?

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...oil-heavy-duty-metal-protector/?code=AMHSC-EA

AMH.jpg

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
So now we know the proper grease for rod ends. And top use butter to Crack rods. This forum is full of great info

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back