How to Make the DOB Franken-Tensioner

GT500KR

forum member
Reaction score
here is your two tensionsers
2012-05-16_20-25-50_644.jpg

the billet spacer goes in the end of one. i drilled the square opening up a tad to fit a bit better
2012-05-16_20-25-58_362.jpg

then you gotta drill of the threads and all the way though one of them
2012-05-16_20-26-12_622.jpg

2012-05-16_20-27-23_458.jpg

2012-05-16_20-29-43_444.jpg

2012-05-16_20-29-48_929.jpg

2012-05-16_20-31-07_299.jpg

2012-05-16_20-31-19_872.jpg

2012-05-16_20-31-33_363.jpg

2012-05-16_20-32-00_114.jpg

Dont forget to trim these ears/stops

before
2012-05-16_21-57-49_638.jpg

after
2012-05-16_22-00-23_340.jpg

and here is the bottom as well
Tensioner.jpg

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS AN EDIT TO ORIGINAL POST
You also have to modify the lower stops too. I was not made aware to this and shredded a belt. This pic is courtesy of DOB

Tensioner.jpg

2012-05-16_20-38-41_50.jpg

2012-05-16_22-09-16_992.jpg

Last edited:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hats off for taking the challenge on! Good luck on the dyno!

stri8ed

Reaction score
no thats why i did this for him. and doing a complete write up with video of the install of SC

Awesome. My install starts on June 14th w/ Dyno on the 16th, so im trying to find out about any little snags ahead of time. Let me know if you have a write up by then:)

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
***THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE INCORRECT*** <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Setting the Frankentensioner up like this will cause trashed belts and eventually oil pump failure. Please contact DOB for the correct instructions.<o:p></o:p>

GT500KR

forum member
Reaction score
***THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE INCORRECT*** <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Setting the Frankentensioner up like this will cause trashed belts and eventually oil pump failure. Please contact DOB for the correct instructions.<o:p></o:p>

Easy killer. For one when i wrote this i was going off of what everyone posted on the allfordmustangs.com forum. and two yes i did trash a belt doing it like this. only to find out like every other porblem i had with the whole install of SC was that there is more to modifing the tensioner than just the top stops. you also have to modify the lower stops too. thats the problem with this DOB setup is there was no real instructions or tips about this stuff. Jason did finally send me and eveyone else instructions. I will edit the above pics to add what he sent me.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Easy killer. For one when i wrote this i was going off of what everyone posted on the allfordmustangs.com forum. and two yes i did trash a belt doing it like this. only to find out like every other porblem i had with the whole install of SC was that there is more to modifing the tensioner than just the top stops. you also have to modify the lower stops too. thats the problem with this DOB setup is there was no real instructions or tips about this stuff. Jason did finally send me and eveyone else instructions. I will edit the above pics to add what he sent me.

Perfectly understandable and mostly my fault. I probably would have done the same thing you did in your position. I should have had FT instructions done sooner. They were floating around out there but were never made official and sent out to everyone.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I just wanted to make it 100% clear to people who saw this thread that there were steps missing before they took it as gospel.<o:p></o:p>
I appreciate you posting up your build/instructions. It does nothing but help me.:thumb: Once you edit it let me know and I will kill my “correction” post.<o:p></o:p>
Thanks!<o:p></o:p>

GT500KR

forum member
Reaction score
Perfectly understandable and mostly my fault. I probably would have done the same thing you did in your position. I should have had FT instructions done sooner. They were floating around out there but were never made official and sent out to everyone.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I just wanted to make it 100% clear to people who saw this thread that there were steps missing before they took it as gospel.<o:p></o:p>
I appreciate you posting up your build/instructions. It does nothing but help me.:thumb: Once you edit it let me know and I will kill my “correction” post.<o:p></o:p>
Thanks!<o:p></o:p>

thanks for the heads up i forgot about this thread. the above instructions have been fixed and posted with a photo i got from DOB

thanks again

blown88coupe

forum member
Reaction score
So i wonder if this would work with a vortech setup? I tried a 90MM pulley but still think i have belt slip

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
So i wonder if this would work with a vortech setup? I tried a 90MM pulley but still think i have belt slip

It will work with any blower. I originally put one together back in 2006 when my KB was chucking belts every time I hit third and KB had no solution. Since then we have been using them on the DOB cars, a couple other KB cars and a Vortech car I think. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
A friend of mine is using one (but with two of the bigger 10 rib stock tensioners) on a back halved 2006 with a GT (Supercar) 5.4L 4v motor running a 4.0L Whipple that can make Stooooopid power. Obviously a build with that sort of budget can use whatever it wants, he chose the Frankentensioner because it works.:thumb:<o:p></o:p>

blown88coupe

forum member
Reaction score
OK might be a stupid question what or who is DOB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back