How to remove complete convertible top from a junk car

Spence340

Reaction score
Has anyone removed a convertible top and frame from a junker? There is a like new top in a local yard near me on 2006 stang and I would think it would be just as easy to remove the whole thing frame and all instead of trying to get the canvas off. Any idea's or suggestions?

20155h

Reaction score
Hi,
I did this. Went from a worn out brown to a black top. It's fairly easy. Take your time and have the right tools. You'll have to remove the back seats (Back and bottom). Remove the back row side panels. On each side, you'll see a few bolts that hold the metal frame to the car. You'll also need to losen the pump which is behind the back of the seat. It will come out all together but you'll have to take your time and not rush your work as to not tear the top. Carefull when removing the back back seat. Part of the canvas is attached to it. With someones help, you can lift the top once its all loosend up. In some form, it's plug and play. No need to cut anything. In the picture below, Ignore the blue circle. That was for something else. I hope the picture gives you a better idea. Good luck.

t2.jpg

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks 20155h for your response. It's not something I would tackle at my age but good photo and explanation of what it takes to replace your top. I now see what the upholstery shop will be up against when my time comes for a new top.

Spence340

Reaction score
Thanks, I think I am going to give it a shot tomorrow at the yard. Drum Sargent this is not how your upholstery guy will do it, he will most likely replace just the canvas on the attached frame which takes some skill to do. I am just trying to save some money by taking the whole frame off with the canvas still attached.

Spence340

Reaction score
Didn't get it off on the first try because my craftsman torque head broke off while I was trying to get one of the arms off. Looking at your picture though I noticed you took the whole bracket off which is held on by 13mm bolts so I will try that when I go back.

Spence340

Reaction score
The other thing I am worried about is does the trunk need to be open to gain access to the back part of the top. This trunk in the yard is closed and locked with no key to be found.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back