10mm open end wrench
8mm open end wrench
flat head screwdriver
DSCF0169.jpg

Now first step is disconnect battery
DSCF0155.jpg

Now take off your intake tube
DSCF0152.jpg

Now release the tension off the belt and slip it off the alternator, to do this place your ratchet ( wil be one of the two, they vary from car to car) and push it downwards releasing the tension
DSCF0162.jpg

Now place the belt on the pulley directly below the alt, to ensure it doesnt get all twisted or fall off other pulleys
DSCF0164.jpg

Next loosen and remove the 2 nuts at the bottom of the alternator. 15 mm deep socket
DSCF0159.jpg

Next remove your throttle body, The top two screws are 8mm wrench and bottom two are 10mm deep socket.
DSCF0154.jpg

DSCF0156.jpg

I let it hang down resting on the pulleys. Do not worry, it wont damage the cables in anyway as they are long enough.
DSCF0157.jpg

Now remove the to outermost screws on the alternator plate. 10mm wrench.
DSCF0166.jpg

Now lift the alternator out and swap the power wire and plug, the black plate to your new alternator and repeat this from here up.
DSCF0167.jpg

DSCF0167.jpg

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
Holy cow, talk about timeliness. I was thinking about getting the chrome version alt I saw on eBay (yes, I am a chrome or polish junkie) and was wondering how difficult would be to swap it out....presto...not difficult at all.

BTW, what happened to the old one? Shot?

chrismc

forum member
Reaction score
the old one was acting really strange, it made the came position codes come up, and my car studderd really bad on the freeway. And it started to whine like a centrifugal supercharger but charged fine. This is the PA Performance 130 amp with stock wires. I got a deal of 230ish shipped to my door from a vendor here. One moment ill find it.

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
I actually sent an email to about 5 folks who purchased from vendor to see how happy they are with the chrome alt...we'll see what they say.

Mikes_BLK_GT

Mid-Life Crisis
Reaction score
Dont want to take this off topic but couldnt help noticing that we are neighbors chrismc, I'm in sherwood. I want to go with the pa perormance ALT eventually, not sure though if works with the Roush SC since the ALT is relocated.

Nice writeup, not everyone knows which end of the screwdriver to use lol

chrismc

forum member
Reaction score
Dont want to take this off topic but couldnt help noticing that we are neighbors chrismc, I'm in sherwood. I want to go with the pa perormance ALT eventually, not sure though if works with the Roush SC since the ALT is relocated.

Nice writeup, not everyone knows which end of the screwdriver to use lol
Oh sweet deal man. We used to own the sports bar above the ice rink out there, If your interested there is a local mustang club that is active on a weekly basis. Superiorstangs.com

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back