How to shave 100 lbs. off your doors...

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The outside shell of the factory doors weighs almost nothing. All the meat and potatoes is the guts and inside panels. I used the stock shell and gutted them, and used sheet metal for the inside panel that I am going to have painted next week. Added Percy safety glass and dropped a little over 100 lbs.

Tomorrow I will weigh the car and hoping it is in the 3200 lbs range with driver...

Photo-0041.jpg

Last edited:

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I already seen this thread but thanks man ahahaha

I can't go that extreme... I like cruising with windows down man

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Using the factory shell made the doors and windows come out really nice. You almost can't tell they are 'race' doors now...

2010-05-2095162700.jpg

I also found a use for my factory gas cap. Since I've gone to a fuel cell awhile back, it served no purpose so i hooked up a charging station in there...:clap:

2010-05-2095163144.jpg

I'm off to fontana to see what this bitch will do!!

Reaction score
What about when the door creeps up into the weather stripping as you close it? What have you done about that? Just a shorter window?

Edit: I think I misread that. The safety glass is added to the original window?

Last edited:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
What about when the door creeps up into the weather stripping as you close it? What have you done about that? Just a shorter window?

Edit: I think I misread that. The safety glass is added to the original window?

*ahem*

For the non-race car types here at S197forums........the entire power window motor assembly, arms, tracks, and original window glass is gone. Notice the tubular frame screwed to the Percy's Speedglass window. The window is now stationary like a Pro Stocker or Outlaw car. No power anything anymore.

Reaction score
*ahem*

For the non-race car types here at S197forums........the entire power window motor assembly, arms, tracks, and original window glass is gone. Notice the tubular frame screwed to the Percy's Speedglass window. The window is now stationary like a Pro Stocker or Outlaw car. No power anything anymore.

Well I'm not that clueless, but thanks for the detail SD. :thumb2: All the racing I do is with windows down, (rain or shine) so I never followed up on any of this. My question was pointed how well the window sealed. I realize it's a race car without creature comforts, but doesn't he still drive to his home track or has it reached trailer queen status? It was kinda tough from the photo, but I was thinking that the speedglass was behind the original.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Well I'm not that clueless, but thanks for the detail SD. :thumb2: All the racing I do is with windows down, (rain or shine) so I never followed up on any of this. My question was pointed how well the window sealed. I realize it's a race car without creature comforts, but doesn't he still drive to his home track or has it reached trailer queen status? It was kinda tough from the photo, but I was thinking that the speedglass was behind the original.

It's all the corner-turning that's sloshed your brain. :roflmao: J/K. I figured that with the road racing you weren't sure about this setup. Mark's car has reached the full-fledged race car status.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back