How to use mighty vac to bleed clutch

Mustangk

Reaction score
Can someone explain in detailed oriented with a drawing or picture of how the mighty vac works to bleed air out of clutch lines when you connect it to the cap.

Do I need to use the canister HALF FILLED with fluid with a HOSE inside going down into the half filled FLUID, which sits IN BETWEEN the mighty vac PUMP and the MASTER CYLINDER ?

How does the air get bleed out if you have a vacuum pump which is all sealed off and connected to the master cylinder cap ?

I'm confused how if the cylinder is half filled it's still sealed right so then how can any more air escapes from the lines or master into the mightyvacs cylinder ? Because even the half filled cylinder is part of the sealed vacuum that you pull on the system right so therefore it's filled with air and fluid in the canister and any additional air escapes from the clutch system wouldn't have room to escape into the mightyvacs half filled with fluid cylinder ?

I know I'm wrong somewhere in how I Understand if someone can clearly explain that'd be great. Images drawn in paint or whatever really make me happy and I can understand them easier than explanations just in case you wanted to spend the time to make a drawing so others too can see it rather read it!!

Lime1Gt

Reaction score
You would need to have a spare cap or reservoir adapter that the mity-vac attaches to. You would have to drill a hole in the spare cap to insert the vac hose tightly into so air doesn't pass between the hose and cap. The hose does not get submerged into the fluid, it stays in the air pocket in the reservoir. Then you pump the vac and it draws the air from the reservoir and creates a vacuum. The created vacuum draws/allows any air bubbles from the clutch system to travel/move to the reservoir air chamber. The same technique is used to remove air from troublesome noisy power steering systems.
If you've done work that requires clutch air bleeding on an 05 pressing the clutch pedal many,many,many times repeatedly should get the air out.

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
I bought a rubber plug at Gill-Roy's, drilled hole, and connected the vacuum pump. Definitely keep the plug and the vacuum line out of the fluid. I wasn't careful about that at first, and it sprayed some brake fluid.

What the vacuum does is cause any air in the system to come out of solution, and the air is buoyant, so it rises. It's like divers who rise to the surface too fast; the air dissolved in their blood comes out of solution.

Applying vacuum to the master cylinder in my 08 definitely helped a little. It's not a massive improvement, but it is noticeable.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back