How's the radio reception with shorter antennas?

D

Deleted GTRik

I completely removed my antenna, and had the hole shaved/filled professionally. My antenna is a stock MAZDA roof mount, short antenna (ok, SOME MAZDA and FORD parts are shared... my justification). I moved it to the trunk deck. There has been zero degradation in reception quality, and the angle of the antenna almost perfectly matches that of my MMD Ducktail spoiler...like the two were meant to be there!

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
I completely removed my antenna, and had the hole shaved/filled professionally. My antenna is a stock MAZDA roof mount, short antenna (ok, SOME MAZDA and FORD parts are shared... my justification). I moved it to the trunk deck. There has been zero degradation in reception quality, and the angle of the antenna almost perfectly matches that of my MMD Ducktail spoiler...like the two were meant to be there!

Post up a pic and part number when you get the chance...

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
I just cut my stock one in half, diy shorty. No issues with reception that I noticed. Save that little ball on the end and reattach it so you don't impale anyone on the sharp end you make when cutting it.

GLOCKer

Reaction score
No issues here; a shorty antenna was one of the first "mods" I did to my car back in 2014. Granted, I don't listen to the radio that much because I love my exhaust and blower's music! :) But I haven't had any issues. I think I paid around $13 for mine at the time. Here is the one I went with for my 2014: https://www.amazon.com/AntennaX-Style-5-inch-Antenna-Mustang/dp/B00BOFTOP2
Here it is on my car:
22254805_10159643592965107_2500534405601496022_o.jpg

D

Deleted GTRik

Post up a pic and part number when you get the chance...

First time adding pictures, so forgive if its clunky...

My Mazda antenna was an auto junk yard find for $20. I'll change out the stock mast at some point. Got the longer antenna supply cord at a local parts place. I had to cut through the trunk lid frame to center it, but the rest was easy. I made sure to have a bit of slack, and zip tied it to the trunk release line. I drove around with a 94-04 antenna delete cover glued to the stock base, until I went in and had the base shaved. This is my daily driver, to be retired in the next year or so, so the mods are starting to happen. For ANYONE that has to scrape the windshield on the 05-09, the stock antenna location was idiotic. Radio reception was not at all affected by the change. Oh, and for anyone that might notice the roof of my car... I am in the process of installing the CDC Glassback roof!

stv_huff

Stock
Reaction score
I cut my antenna to about eight inches and it works fine. Why you would but a shorter antenna is beyond my understanding.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back