HP Tuners with NGauge and What it Mean for You

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Quite simply, this is a thread to start an open discussion on HP Tuners and Ngauge. I think the majority on here use SCT devices to upload tunes to their cars and have others tune for it.

While I don't expect myself to learn all the ins and outs of tuning (and to the point to tune my own car fully); it would be nice to develop a basic understanding of tuning with the available perimeters in HP Tuners.

WBT has offered some education on this; but I like hear more and have it available on this forum for others (and myself to reference). I can search endless threads on wheel fitment but not so much in the realm this.

Ngauge seems to be a nice device for uploading tunes, datalogging, and even as a gauge. But I still like to hear more about it than I can simply read on a product description webpage.

Things I like to see answered in this thread and discussed/debated:

-Pros and Cons using HP Tuners over SCT

- Tuners that use HP Tuners and will offer email and remote tuning services to be uploaded by Ngauge.

- Learning curve with tuning your car? Baby step changes to get familiar without blowing a motor. Most of us turn the wrenches; it would be nice to at least know what we can do to learn about tuning on coyotes. Hell with 3v; should have a separate Chit Chat anyway for S197 Coyotes. JK JK.

In a different thread, WBT enlightened me on a concept that in HP Tuners that there is a perimeter to change 02 sensor bias so that you can leave the rear 02 sensors on but still not trigger a CEL light. This is nice to know for those with off road midpipe a and live in a state that requires OBD2 checks annually. What else is there? Yes, I could go to a HP Tuner forum; but why not learn together on this one and on a level a beginner can understand.

It would be nice to see pages of discussion on this topic versus 9 pages about if Darren moved his car 6 inches in the last week. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 Boss

Reaction score
I'm intersted also. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the HP tuners software and cable/module.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Well I've used SCT on my Whipple 3v GT and it bricked on me in the end. And I've read some have had random errors and etc. Just hold a SCT in my hand feels like a chinese made piece of crap; not to say it's worthy and how effective it is, just FEELs. This NGauge looks like a quality piece.

Also to mention, SCT customer service has to the be worst in the industry. I mean it like they strive for the Worst Customer Service Award. Calling them is like calling Time Warner during peak call time, except at any hour.

With all that said and considering my car isnt tuned and I'm in need of tuner....I like to learn what I'm getting into waiting for the Ngauge and HP Tuners.

I have trivia questions about mounting the Ngauge. The site shows the devices dimension and then promptly states that it fits 3 gauge pod sizes, but doent't list those sizes. I like to be concrete on those sizes. Is this something that I need to put in my drivers side round vent (roush style) or I do I have to mount this thing like Soccer mom's GPS on my windshield like most of the test videos show?

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
I use SCT and just started looking at HP tuners. I've been searching for a good data logger that's affordable (because livelink is garbage) and that's when I came across HP tuners and it appears that it's exactly what I've been trying to find. The data logger is what I'm most interested in at the moment but I'll probably end up getting everything because the credit system fits me well.

As for the rear O2 issue, it can be fixed in SCT also. SCT has the FAOSC switch that was mentioned in the other thread. I don't think that allows for the monitors to ready though, but I haven't tried it. I do know you can simply turn off P0420 and P0430 or you can change the catalyst threshold limits and the monitors will still ready.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Well my issue is with tuners that just turn them off completely which seems common. Problem is knowing who will living them on and lower the rear 02 threshold

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I'll work on getting some more info in this weekend. Work and shop projects have me tied up atm.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
I'll be looking forward to it.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
HP tuners is great. Never had an issue with it. Tuned 50+ cars with it. Haven't done a coyote but may try sooner or later. No reason remote tuning or email tunes can't be done. It is very common in the GM world to use HP tuners for that, just need to find a tuner that supports HP tuners and knows what they are doing.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Wish we had a list of them and list of what they will and will not do.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
We are running the nGauge on our S550. So far so good. Pretty trick piece. Better than anything we have used from SCT.

Lund is doing the tuning.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
List of HP Tuner tuners:

Jon Lund
Amazon tuning solutions
Tuners inc
Justin's Performance Center
LaMotta Performance
MPT Performance
Stang-Hi Performance
Port Sheldon Auto
Baker Engineering
Walsh Motorsports

Post up more to add to this list when you discover them.

Last edited:

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
List of HP Tuner tuners:

Jon Lund
Amazon tuning solutions
Tuners inc
Justin's Performance Center
LaMotta Performance
MPT Performance
Stang-Hi Perforamance.

Post up more to add to this list when you discover them.

Port Sheldon Auto
Baker Engineering
Walsh Motorsports

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Updated.

I've just read via Lethal Performance that they have nGauge available for 2015s, but not 11-14. They claim they are working on it and understand the demand is with the 11-14s.

Last edited:

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Well this is stupid. Make a nGauge that will only take your tunes....
761ff3318265a7c6a881aa5ba63d20df.jpg

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Not at all stupid. The nGauge is a generic housing how it is programed belongs to Lund Racing. Not just the tune but the entire operating system is unique to Lund. He has no responsibility to share that program with anybody else. Every tuner works the same way.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Maybe not stupid for him but I think for the end user. I rather have a nGauge that worked with multiple tuners instead of one because that one tuner want proprietary hardware. That's like having a SCT that only allows BAMA tunes because you bought the SCT from AM. It would seem smarter to get a nGauge that for the generic HP Tuners and give my money to tuners like Eric Brooks and etc who will use this type. What if I'm not happy with a Lund tune? I hate to be stuck with $300 plus hardware and can't consider the option to use a different tuner email or dyno without getting a SCT or generic NGauge.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Maybe not stupid for him but I think for the end user. I rather have a nGauge that worked with multiple tuners instead of one because that one tuner want proprietary hardware. That's like having a SCT that only allows BAMA tunes because you bought the SCT from AM. It would seem smarter to get a nGauge that for the generic HP Tuners and give my money to tuners like Eric Brooks and etc who will use this type. What if I'm not happy with a Lund tune? I hate to be stuck with $300 plus hardware and can't consider the option to use a different tuner email or dyno without getting a SCT or generic NGauge.

What kind of car are they talking about tuning in that screen shot? If it's a S550 I think Lund is the ONLY person who has cracked the code. I wouldn't share that with anyone. Let them figure it out for themselves. $.02.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I may be experimenting with a generic nGauge in the future for a car I work remotely with. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't support loading a tune and logging config on it that the owner could then use.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
What kind of car are they talking about tuning in that screen shot? If it's a S550 I think Lund is the ONLY person who has cracked the code. I wouldn't share that with anyone. Let them figure it out for themselves. $.02.

Honestly I don't care about the S550. Maybe I should, but I don't. I'm biased in that aspect. But the code will be cracked by SCT and Diablo soon enough if not already. Designing hardware to stay ahead for a few months on a platform that doesn't even have the demand yet like the 11-14 does; doesn't seem wise.

So basically they have a nGauge that only works with a 2015 Mustang GT (one year and model) and only tune for those who have their nGauge. If I was to have a S550 I would have waited for a SCT or a NGauge that worked with more than one tuner and a tuner that doesn't require proprietary hardware to load their tune.

But I don't have a S550, I have a S197. So not only did they put that platform ahead of a platform with much more aftermarket support; they working themselves into a box. Like I said I could be wrong, just my opinion.

I wouldn't buy a piece of hardware that limits me to one tuner. It would be a nightmare if every tuner required there own hardware.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back