I dont know what the problem is!!!! Help

07AlloyMustang GT

Reaction score
Okay my name is brandon and i have a 2007 Mustang GT, i got longtubes installed about 5months ago and got my car dyno tuned and everything, but the only problem is that everytime i start my car, after the car idles down it feels like the car is cammed the car starts slightly shaking and it idles really rough untill my car warms up, and if i dont let my car warm up and i just take off my car just like falls on its face and wants to die until (it warms up again) i have on idea what the problem is and its just getting real old no one has an answer for me for why it does this. Also my check engine light was on so i checked the code under my tuner and it pulled a p0401 code...and that is an EGR valve sensor but ive come to find out my car doesnt even have a EGR valve so why is it pulling that code i dont know does anyone else have this problem if so let me know how to fix it...I NEED ADVICE!!!!

bcb06gt

Reaction score
Has it been doing this since the lts and tune? If yes, then it is most likely your tune. Just because it was on a dyno and tuned for WOT doesn't mean the car is properly tuned for all around driveability (cold start, warm idle, cruise control, part throttle, etc).

07AlloyMustang GT

Reaction score
ya in the tune they turned off the rear O2 sensors...and it was done by midcoast...they are very good tuners i mean i got my car dynoed on a mustang dyno and turned 345 to the wheels with just longtubes and an intake i dont know maybe it might be the tune i just dont know how i can fix it cause i feel like its just hurting my car by lettin it do that...at one point a code popped up as cylinder 1 misfire as well and he said alot of longtube cars that come threw have a (cold start-up problem) after the longtubes r put on because since the O2 sensors r extended back and it takes longer for them to warm up or something

bcb06gt

Reaction score
I stand by my first post. It needs to be retuned..and not WOT. There is more to tuning than WOT. I would also recheck on another dyno. I don't believe the 345 to the wheels.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I stand by my first post. It needs to be retuned..and not WOT. There is more to tuning than WOT. I would also recheck on another dyno. I don't believe the 345 to the wheels.

+100

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good possibility its the tune, but check connection to MAF. disconnect, then reconnect. Even take it out and see if debris is in the meter.

Have you removed the filter/cai to install headers?

My car did similar to what you describe, then eventually died... wouldnt start.

After wasting a day running down wires, etc... a damn spider had made a home inside meter. :owned2:

Check the small stuff. :thumb:

07AlloyMustang GT

Reaction score
Trust me i know its high and hard 2 believe...and the guy even said with the same bolt ons on the million other 4.6's he had done they only came up 2 315- 320 to the wheels i was expecting the same but he said my car is just like a freak or something and hes never seen that much out of one for just those bolt-ons i even have a pic of it if you rly dnt believe me but thats besides the point i wasnt tryin 2 brag about it i was just sayin he had 2 be prety good tuner to pull that number, or maybe its jsut the car i duno...and ya i had a C@L racer on it and yesturday and i put the stock intake bak on and put it to a stock tune to see if that solved the problem and it doesnt it still hesitates when i first start it up...but ill check the meter now and see if theres anything in it...and thanks i appreciate the advice

07AlloyMustang GT

Reaction score
dont mean to sound dumb im not to experienced with this kind of stuff im only 18 and im just workin my ass off 2 pay for this car but what does WOT mean?...

07AlloyMustang GT

Reaction score
thanks man ya that does make sense but like when he dynoed it he dynoed it 500 rpms at a time starting with like 2500 then after when threw them all did that but ya man thanks for the advice i rly do appreciate it im gona check everything out again cause i just pulled another code on the way home it was a p0301 so im gona check that now!

06Roadstarman

Nucking Futter
Reaction score
Okay....just tryin to understand the story here. You said the car was dyno tuned after an LT install 5 months ago.....or at least that is what I am interpreting. Did this rough idle until warm and code spittin start immediately following this install and dyno tune? If so, it would seem lilkely one event led to the other. Also, you said you didn't want to keep subjecting your car to this problem but you waited 5 months to ask here? If not, when exactly did this rough idle @ warmup and code spitting start? Was there anything at all done to the car right before this behavior? Usually, but no always, there is an external (us & tinkering) cause that leads to the effect.

You have been advised by several here to see your tuner......probably not a bad idea but even factory freaks with your mods don't lay down 350ish.....so maybe a second opinion is in order???

07AlloyMustang GT

Reaction score
Okay let me refrase this whole thing i originanly had just an intake and an x pipe on my car and it was fine completely fine i had it dynoed at 302.32rwhp and 314.77fptq to the wheels to be (EXACT) at pur performance with the tune...than i decided to step up to jba longtubes i had them install them and put my tune from the x pipe bak in until i could get it dynoed the next day cause they were already closing it started when i had that tune the next day i went up there and they dynoed my car with the longtubes at 315.75rwhp with 329.56fptq and i still have that sheet and when he dynoed my car i only had 87 octane in it so he didnt put any timing into it...i asked they guy about the problem and he said it just happens to cars with longtubes so i went to this guy my brother was getting his procharger on and it was called (midcoast performace) and he said he could fix the problem and give me a better tune especially since in dont have any timing in my car...so i went there he put timing in my car and it on the sheet i have it has 344 rwhp @6093rpms to be exact and 346fptq @4363rpms and i was really happy and practically fucking laughin my ass off cause my dad is a chevorlet guy and didnt think it was gona pull a bit over 315 so i just shoved it in his face and lauged and i still have the dyno sheet now all 3 of them i drove it home and right when i started it up it had that problem still so i asked him and he said it has something to do with the cold start-up and he needs to adjust the numbers cause he thinks that was the problem which it wasnt so i just like ignored it cause it wasnt that big of a deal than i put in 4.10's on my car a week ago by the same guy and he said he will make sure to solve the problem this time and he wouldnt let it leave till he did but then it it pulled some weird code that shouldnt be pulling that was the p0401 number and that was for a egr valve which didnt make sense than it just start pissing me off so i just came up on this site to get advice....and not today it just threw a new code that was the p0301 code which is a cylinder 1 missfire so ya.....im not to start anything about the dyno numbers or anything if you dont believe me fine i honestly done care i just want you guys to give me some advice on what i should do im not trying to try and stir up things and say oh look my car is better than everyone elses or anything im really not i just want advice if you guys can give it 2 me cause i know you got a hell of alot more practice and knowledge about this stuff than i do...so please let me know what you think

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Okay let me refrase this whole thing i originanly had just an intake and an x pipe on my car and it was fine completely fine i had it dynoed at 302.32rwhp and 314.77fptq to the wheels to be (EXACT) at pur performance with the tune...than i decided to step up to jba longtubes i had them install them and put my tune from the x pipe bak in until i could get it dynoed the next day cause they were already closing it started when i had that tune the next day i went up there and they dynoed my car with the longtubes at 315.75rwhp with 329.56fptq and i still have that sheet and when he dynoed my car i only had 87 octane in it so he didnt put any timing into it...i asked they guy about the problem and he said it just happens to cars with longtubes so i went to this guy my brother was getting his procharger on and it was called (midcoast performace) and he said he could fix the problem and give me a better tune especially since in dont have any timing in my car...so i went there he put timing in my car and it on the sheet i have it has 344 rwhp @6093rpms to be exact and 346fptq @4363rpms and i was really happy and practically fucking laughin my ass off cause my dad is a chevorlet guy and didnt think it was gona pull a bit over 315 so i just shoved it in his face and lauged and i still have the dyno sheet now all 3 of them i drove it home and right when i started it up it had that problem still so i asked him and he said it has something to do with the cold start-up and he needs to adjust the numbers cause he thinks that was the problem which it wasnt so i just like ignored it cause it wasnt that big of a deal than i put in 4.10's on my car a week ago by the same guy and he said he will make sure to solve the problem this time and he wouldnt let it leave till he did but then it it pulled some weird code that shouldnt be pulling that was the p0401 number and that was for a egr valve which didnt make sense than it just start pissing me off so i just came up on this site to get advice....and not today it just threw a new code that was the p0301 code which is a cylinder 1 missfire so ya.....im not to start anything about the dyno numbers or anything if you dont believe me fine i honestly done care i just want you guys to give me some advice on what i should do im not trying to try and stir up things and say oh look my car is better than everyone elses or anything im really not i just want advice if you guys can give it 2 me cause i know you got a hell of alot more practice and knowledge about this stuff than i do...so please let me know what you think
I think you need a real tune . We have several vendors here on this site that can give you a good email tune for your mods . I will let those with your type of mods tell you who they think is the best , but BBR and JDM com to mind.

Where do you live ?

RSKtakR

Reaction score
my car had the same symptoms as your car does the other day.. i went out to start it, its sounded like it was loping from cams.. i went out and opened the hood and the silicone hose that mounts my CAI to the air flow meter had come loose and was letting UNmeetered air in the system, and made the car run like shit.. check ALL the connections on your CAI.. because your problems sounds EXACTLY like what my car was doing..and if that doesnt fix your problem. i would also suggest getting a tune emailed to you. i wouldnt have ANY shop mess w/ my car that doesnt mess w/ these cars and know them inside and out. BBR, JDM, and bama all have great emailed tunes.

Last edited:

07AlloyMustang GT

Reaction score
I live in Ofallon MO

and to RSKtak R i even went to the dealer a few days ago and asked what i should do but since the warranty is voided the guy said take ur cold air off put ur stock tune back on just to see if your cold air was the problem and i put it on yesturday and even today its still doing the same thing and thats when today it pulled up on my car that p0301 code which was the cylinder missfire so maybe i have a bad fuel injector, or coil pack? let me know

bcb06gt

Reaction score
As RSKtakR said, recheck all connections including the valve cover to intake. I would think you would have found something here since you stated that you put the stock intake back on.

Just to get a confirmation, the car had no trouble with the intake (C&L) and x pipe tune. After the car had LTs installed, still no trouble but the same tune was used.

After the new tune was added with timing, there was the problem, immediately following the new tune/dyno? And now with the stock intake and stock tune it still has a problem?

bcb06gt

Reaction score
Pull the COP and check the plug for signs. You can swap the COP and see if the problem moves to the new COP location (put a mark or sticker on the COP to track) or stays on that cylinder (1).

Also, check your MAF as Chad mentioned earlier.

07AlloyMustang GT

Reaction score
no right after LT's were put on it had this problem even with the tune from the x-pipe and cold air cause i had a appointment for the next day 2 get it dynoed and it started the next morning before i went there and when i got it dynoed that day it was with no timing cause i didnt have 93 in my car i had 87 cause i was tryin 2 save some money and even after that i still had that problem and even after the tune from the other place with timing i still had the problem...and yes after yesturday when i put the stock intake bak on and stock tune back in it still does it and thats when the code poped up today the p0301 code and i checked it and it was cylinder missfire

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back