i got a major problem(s) with my 5R55S... HELP!!!

lundis

forum member
Reaction score
would a dealership be better than a transmission shop? i dont trust the local dealerships around here, and would rather go to a transmission shop...a few of the local guys go to one, but none that have a s197.

any of those issues...none of them sound MECHANICAL...think a rebuild kit from tci would fix this?

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
DEALERSHIP.

It is amazing how many trans shops have no clue what they are doing. A trans shop will try to sell a new trans, as they don't usually make money off free information. The dealer will charge a fee for the scan, but you will (hopefully) know where you stand. The dealer will be able to monitor voltage from sensors and pressure on different circuits of the trans. They will run it through a series of tests to see how it responds. Ask some of the guys in the "Chit-Chat" forum here or on New York Mustangs where the best place to take it is. They may even know someone personally to send you to. There are plenty of NYers on this site.

It is extremely dificult to diagnose issues such as these over the web. Heck, I am wrong quite a bit, but I can build a quality unit beacuse I have good experience, detail, documentation and the proper tools. The 5R55s is a bitch, the 4R70w is much more friendly, I like it.

Last edited:

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
would a dealership be better than a transmission shop?...

DEALERSHIP...

Depends on the dealership. In my area the dealership referred me to the local transmission shop.

I still love the 5r55s (I'm on my 3rd) but one little failure can lead to several small failures which WILL lead to total failure. Get it checked out soon...

lundis

forum member
Reaction score
im leaning towards getting a junkyard transmission, and having it built at a shop locally that is known for building performance-minded transmissions....and just swap them out. one of my best friends owns his own performance shop, and does all the work on my car...said he'd call the shop he uses, as well as some others he's heard good things about.

lundis

forum member
Reaction score
UPDATE: fluid was checked yesterday after draining the pan and topping off 2 days earlier, and i was told it was "maroon, its burnt, but not ROASTED burnt....but its only been 2 days." im not quite positive what to make of that, but it does tell me that i need to figure out a gameplan and get cracking on it ASAP...im uneasy about taking the risk of having this one taken apart, only to find that its either not rebuildable, or the cost is so high its not worth it...and be down my only car, and spent money i dont have to throw it away.

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
the fluid changes color due to burnt clutches and bands.... and it smells really bad hahah

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Put a "take out" trans in, call JDM for a tune and call it a day. Rebuild the unit you have in the car now as time/money permits. These transmissions require a really good tune to "live." Jim is the man for the J-O-B.

Last edited:

lundis

forum member
Reaction score
Put a "take out" trans in, call Jim for a tune and call it a day. Rebuild the unit you have in the car now as time/money permits.

a new take off part (newtakeoff.com does not appear to sell it) or a junkyard trans? i already have a dyno tune from a very reputable local mustang shop called realspeed automotive, so if i have the same trans i dont think ill need to be re-tuned...yes/no? and if new, any ideas on where i can look to purchase it? you dont gotta go search out links, just give me some ideas on sites to dig on, if you could...

thank you so much for your help natural1, and everyone else, your all helping my stress level be a bit calmer lol

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Put a "take out" trans in, call JDM for a tune and call it a day. Jim is the man for the J-O-B.

I bought one off a reputable forum member last year for $125 and it was in great condition. I paid 120.00 to have it shipped to Houston from Pennsylvania. If you look around, you will find a good deal.

I keep saying to get it tuned by JDM, because they ran stock transmissions in their cars for a while. They run the TCI now, but before they ran with nothing more than a PI converter and a tune. If memory serves me, JDM's (red) 2010 435S still has the stock trans/converter and runs in the 10.60 range. I know the Sterling (~700hp) has been through a couple of transmissions, but it has been as fast as 9.60s.

I took the pic below at Ennis in '08. Paul ran a 9.86 (IIRC), pulling the wheels at full weight.
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/album.php?albumid=254&pictureid=1490

Last edited:

Mylilpony

forum member
Reaction score
Talk to Freddie Brown. Two of my friends have had trannys put in over there and both of them are very satisfied.

lundis

forum member
Reaction score
through my regular shop, he will remove my transmission, give it to a local shop that is very familiar with it, who will rebuild it and give it a one year warranty. cost will be approximatley 1500, (depending on whats wrong, possibly more, possibly less) including removal and re-installation of my trans. ill be out of a car for about a week. seems like the best option...

im not going to a dealer. ive been to several of them, and none of them have a fuckin clue how to deal with my car. i would sooner go bankrupt than trust those tards with my baby.

jps05roush

Reaction score
Talk to Freddie Brown

Agreed, they just put the 4r70w in my 05. That's after two rebuilds and a ton of headaches with the 5r.

Ps. I also use Dan for tuning and other stuff. What you described is exactly what was going on with mine just before the input shaft snapped in two.

Last edited:

lundis

forum member
Reaction score
Agreed, they just put the 4r70w in my 05. That's after two rebuilds and a ton of headaches with the 5r.

Ps. I also use Dan for tuning and other stuff. What you described is exactly what was going on with mine just before the input shaft snapped in two.

the place that im talking about is huntington transmissions, and they said that they know freddie brown, and apparently he does not even build them with tci components, just regular ford stuff, and it apparently holds up to some serious horsepower as long as its built correctly.

how much did the 4R70W swap run you @ freddie brown? i was under the impression it was 4-5 thousand bucks...which is far from feasable for me...being unemployed and all.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
buy a used transmission. swap it out. keep your old trans. build it as time and MONEY allow (youre unemployed, you shouldnt be concerned about car modification) tool around with used trans. Eat kraft dinner.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
buy a used transmission. swap it out. keep your old trans. build it as time and MONEY allow (youre unemployed, you shouldnt be concerned about car modification) tool around with used trans. Eat kraft dinner.

That's good advice from 2 or 3 of us now.

Put a "take out" trans in, call JDM for a tune and call it a day.

jps05roush

Reaction score
the place that im talking about is huntington transmissions, and they said that they know freddie brown, and apparently he does not even build them with tci components, just regular ford stuff, and it apparently holds up to some serious horsepower as long as its built correctly.

how much did the 4R70W swap run you @ freddie brown? i was under the impression it was 4-5 thousand bucks...which is far from feasable for me...being unemployed and all.

FB is upwards of 5k installed for the 4r70w depending on what options you order. Call Dan, see if he has my old one still there, he may be looking to get rid of it. It snapped the input shaft in the torque converter. Not sure if there is anything else wrong with it. It was just rebuilt by Centereach transmission. They did a pretty good job with it, just couldn't handle the power I put through it. Go over there and talk to John or Ray, tell them Joe with the 05 Roush sent you.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back