I got my azz handed to me..

Reaction score
got any info on it guys?

On my old 2v i had a C&L upper intake plenum(probably something better by now), CAI, tune, 4:10's, shifter, full exhuast, and DR's and did pretty good vs. others.

And yes, your car has the PI heads/cams. Non PI was 96-98. Reason its called PI its performance improvement where ford realized their 96-98 GTs sucked so they had to step it up A LOT. Other than the T45 differences your GT still has basically the same stuff.

Dont be afraid to put 4:10's in your 02 you'll turn about the same amt. of RPMs as in your '197. And the gear wakes those cars up tremendously. But other than performance you might want to try springs and new shocks/struts. sn95s can be fun to drive with the right suspension setup aswell because they are pretty light and agile.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On my old 2v i had a C&L upper intake plenum(probably something better by now), CAI, tune, 4:10's, shifter, full exhuast, and DR's and did pretty good vs. others.

And yes, your car has the PI heads/cams. Non PI was 96-98. Reason its called PI its performance improvement where ford realized their 96-98 GTs sucked so they had to step it up A LOT. Other than the T45 differences your GT still has basically the same stuff.

Dont be afraid to put 4:10's in your 02 you'll turn about the same amt. of RPMs as in your '197. And the gear wakes those cars up tremendously. But other than performance you might want to try springs and new shocks/struts. sn95s can be fun to drive with the right suspension setup aswell because they are pretty light and agile.

Well i want the gas mileage on this car to be at its peak so im not sure about gears. I have one race car already lol i don't need another. so torn to mod it to hell or leave it lol

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Ok....2V stuff. :thumb:

Ron,
You have the PI heads on your '02 already. You won't see anywhere near the gains that a headswapped car will see. When you install the PI heads on the older non-PI shortblock you end up with at least 10.5:1 compression. That will immediately make you a player. Add cams, good exhaust, and gears....you're a mid-12 second car. It's easy. We just did the same swap on a car owned by a friend of my oldest son. A '97 GT with ported headswap kit, custom ground cams, Hooker long tubes and off-road exhaust, a 4.10 gear, Accufab throttle body and elbow, and JLT Cold Air setup. Tuned by Strictly Performance the car made 305 hp and 310 tq. Runs 12.35 at 108 mph. No problem.

The deal with the intake manifold was an update since the original plastic intakes utilized a completely plastic construction. The water crossover would eventually split at the seam and spray the alternator with water. The cure was to redesign the crossover out of aluminum to eliminate the problem. Make sure your intake manifold has the aluminum crossover.

Now....to beat the headswap guy. Common sense approach really.

1. Long tubes. American Racing Headers. Don't know what you meant by "tuning difficulties with ARH" either. Sounds like a tuner problem to me.

2. Catted X-Pipe.

3. Gears. 4.10 would be ideal with the automatic.

4. Cold Air Setup. JLT, Steeda, C&L, FRPP.

5. CMCV Delete plates.

6. Tune. BamaChips. Raise shift points, alter converter lockup, tinker wiht timing and fuel curve.

7. Drag radials.

Maybe pullies but haven't heard if they'll do anything on the S197 or not. You might also do the short belt idea bypassing the power steering pump. Kind of a bitch on the street though.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok....2V stuff. :thumb:

Ron,
You have the PI heads on your '02 already. You won't see anywhere near the gains that a headswapped car will see. When you install the PI heads on the older non-PI shortblock you end up with at least 10.5:1 compression. That will immediately make you a player. Add cams, good exhaust, and gears....you're a mid-12 second car. It's easy. We just did the same swap on a car owned by a friend of my oldest son. A '97 GT with ported headswap kit, custom ground cams, Hooker long tubes and off-road exhaust, a 4.10 gear, Accufab throttle body and elbow, and JLT Cold Air setup. Tuned by Strictly Performance the car made 305 hp and 310 tq. Runs 12.35 at 108 mph. No problem.

The deal with the intake manifold was an update since the original plastic intakes utilized a completely plastic construction. The water crossover would eventually split at the seam and spray the alternator with water. The cure was to redesign the crossover out of aluminum to eliminate the problem. Make sure your intake manifold has the aluminum crossover

Thanks Man :bigbeer:

badgt06

Stratafortress
Reaction score
If you want a good set of long tubes check out JBA. I bought mine new with o/r H and O2 extentions for under 800. (shipping/tax/everything) If you really want kooks go to moddedmustangs.com and post up. A guy there owns this website called radmustangs.com. He offered me Kooks longtubs, midpipe, and 4:10's shipped for 1100 I think. Very good deal! (if only I had the money then)

Reaction score
Nahh man, gears wont cut your gas mileage down that much if any. If i remember correctly i still got around 20mpg with the old GT, but it was a manual tranny.

Mylilpony

forum member
Reaction score
Photoshoot!!! Myself and Gus98GT plus some other friends, taken 12/28/08.

captreecruise012.jpg

captreecruise013.jpg

captreecruise016.jpg

captreecruise017.jpg

captreecruise018.jpg

captreecruise021.jpg

captreecruise025.jpg

captreecruise033.jpg

captreecruise036.jpg

captreecruise037.jpg

captreecruise039.jpg

captreecruise040.jpg

captreecruise041.jpg

captreecruise042.jpg

captreecruise043.jpg

captreecruise044.jpg

captreecruise045.jpg

captreecruise046.jpg

captreecruise047.jpg

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
quite down there yesterday!

sorry I missed u guys, I woke up and saw the ground all wet and went back to bed. No fun driving the Vert in that weather

Mylilpony

forum member
Reaction score
Yea... there were some people there, but not many. Those shots were taken at one of the parking fields on the way back. It was pretty wet in the morning, but was practically dry for the ride home. We're troopers, so we still went.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
/\ yeah for sure, troopers, I was recovering from some B-day celebrating as well!

Gus98GT

MyLILPONY NEMESIS!
Reaction score
lots of fun yesterday vin, happy b-late-day :)

Vin your s197 is king from a dead stop (wet roads that is) :) LOL

ochoblanco

Slow 4v Member
Reaction score
I suggest Mac LT and an O/R prochamber H pipe. Pretty inexpensive in the long run, sounds great, and with an aggressive dyno tune, you should be well over 310 at the wheels. Cam it and you are looking at 330 or so. But like the dude at the very beginning of the post said..."Driver mod" might just be the most important.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back