I must be taking crazy pills...

Kris_H

forum member
Reaction score
Ever since I could drive, I was all about ridiculous power and a loud V8. When I turned 24 I bought my first non-V8 car, an E46 M3 and I learned that with the proper power and driving characteristics, a 6-cylinder could be fun and I still had my V8 Mustangs for the big power. After the M3 I got into a V10 M5 which was incredible, but I always had my V8 Mustangs for that good ol' American Muscle feeling (in case I ever got sick of a 500+ hp V10).

Well, last year I parted with my beloved '05 and shortly beforehand parted with my ProCharged '12 5.0. I didn't have any immediate plans to get back into a Mustang until my fiancee and I visited Kauai of all places. She'd reserved a mid-sized car, but heard me ooh-ing and ah-ing at all the shiny new 2015s sitting in the rental car lot. She came away from the rental counter with the key to a brand new Mustang (because she's awesome like that) and I was stoked. I knew it wasn't a 5.0 because it was a rental car, so I figured "must be a stripped down V6 model" until I opened the hood (while she rolled her eyes) and got giddy seeing an EcoBoost under the hood. And then I realized something. I was excited about a 4-banger. Best of all, the car had every option minus the Recaros!

But yeah...I must be taking crazy pills because I think I am legitimately more excited about the EcoBoost than the 5.0. No, it wasn't neck-breakingly fast or particularly beefy-sounding but I thoroughly enjoyed driving it. I'm also excited to see what the EcoBoost can really do and it looks like people are running with it already. I will always love the V8, but I think the reason I'm more excited about the EcoBoost is that it's new and intriguing. It'll be a long time before you can make one as fast as a V8 for a reasonable amount of money, but it's definitely the start of an exciting era for the Mustang.

Surprisingly, I also really liked the paddle-shifted auto. I'm probably in the minority here because I know how adamant Mustang owners are about that third pedal, but the transmission was extremely responsive and the paddles were easy to use and well integrated into the transmission, not an afterthought of "oh you can also use these...you know...if you really want to."

So yeah, that's my 2 cents. I need to reacquaint myself with this forum because I'm definitely feeling like getting back into the Mustang scene and I'm starting to think it might just be by way of an EcoBoost.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the 6r80 autos have a great rep, particularly among the drag racing crowd

I could not imagine getting a Eco4 over the Coyote

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
The Coyote sure is my favorite, but that EcoBoost sure is impressive, as well. A little tuning/mods and they can hang with a stock Coyote.

Sent from SYNC in my '14 Mustang GT...

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Same feelings and I bought an EB, the wife really likes it and said she would DD it which helps in the car buying decision, lol...

I know everyone will scoff at the 4 cyl but it is the way of the future no matter how much we don't want it to be.

I am making a thread about the car I bought in chit chat as well as the plans for it, if you do get one I highly recommend getting the performance pack as for $2k you get a lot of good stuff but IMO the two most important pieces are the oil and boost gauges.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
OP, if you are taking crazy pills, then I must have the same prescription, because you know who is really excited about the EB????

<----This guy!

It's something new, different, and like Greg said, it's the way of the future whether we like it or not, so we may as well get used to it. There's actually a CO EB sitting at my local dealer that I has caught my eye. I may just go take a look at it this weekend.

b4bd84f5f48140e495482c740e28fa96!20150129060545000.jpg

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Yes they do, I am just not a fan of the PP wheels. I love those 20" Foundry wheels, though.

Greg, have you poseted pics of your new ride yet?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Greg - you bought a EB4 S550?

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Greg - you bought a EB4 S550?

:whistling:

No one should write off that EB before they drive it. I think they are fantastic. My flavor of choice is that PP w/ an Auto. The transmission knows exactly where the torque is when you change the modes. Right now the EB's are outselling the GT's easily at the store I normally work from.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
:whistling:

No one should write off that EB before they drive it. I think they are fantastic. My flavor of choice is that PP w/ an Auto. The transmission knows exactly where the torque is when you change the modes. Right now the EB's are outselling the GT's easily at the store I normally work from.

I'm not writing it off as a performer, but to me a 4cyl in a Mustang is well.... just wrong, even if it's fast. I'm sure they out sell as there is a $7000 base price difference

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
It's not for everyone and I would never try to convey it's a winner in all aspects in regards to a "Mustang." I own V8 Mustang's and I don't plan on getting an EB just because.... uhhhh IDK I just don't want one. However being part of this new R&D regarding a factory turbo'd Mustang is looking enjoyable and I enjoy seeing what these things can produce.

What I'm finding is that many are comparing a premium EB to a base GT too. However - dollar-per-HP the GT still is a better buy. Plus like previous V6 Premiums - people just want to own a Mustang but don't want to pay for the higher insurance for a V8, get worse fuel mileage, and see spending more money on a loaded out vehicle with the smaller engine than the more power they don't care about on less equipment.

Last edited:

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
It's not for everyone and I would never try to convey it's a winner in all aspects in regards to a "Mustang." I own V8 Mustang's and I don't plan on getting an EB just because.... uhhhh IDK I just don't want one. However being part of this new R&D regarding a factory turbo'd Mustang is looking enjoyable and I enjoy seeing what these things can produce.

What I'm finding is that many are comparing a premium EB to a base GT too. However - dollar-per-HP the GT still is a better buy. Plus like previous V6 Premiums - people just want to own a Mustang but don't want to pay for the higher insurance for a V8, get worse fuel mileage, and see spending more money on a loaded out vehicle with the smaller engine than the more power they don't care about on less equipment.

I have also cross-shopped the Premium EB vs the base V8, but I know from buying my current car, I'll never get a base model anything again. I'm spoiled I guess, because I just can't stand not having all the bells and whistles.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
Its like dating a fat chick with big tits... you know you want them but in the long term its just wrong.

Kris_H

forum member
Reaction score
It would crack me up to see the EcoBoost become as potent as the 2JZ someday. Give it time and people will have cams, turbos, and all types of stuff for them, but I don't see it happening in the short term just yet.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fuel limitations are the big drawback.

Did you see my thread in chit chat?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back