I now know what trumpeting is!

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
Just buttoned up JBA LT's with Off Road H-Pipe to the Roush Extreme exhaust on my 2010 GT.
Start up sounded good after the idle settled down. Rev'd it and I knew I had some issues.
Out on a test drive it was very bad. I live close to the freeway with a 75mph limit so I got to get on it.
Idle and certain parts of the rpm sound good, those other rpms and getting on it makes me cringe. And I like loud if it sounds good, but this doesn't.

Good thing is I got some cash to fix it.

Few questions:
1. Is there a good way to check the headers for exhaust leaks?
I let it idle and burn off, so it smoked for a while. There was no ticks while it was idleing.
And after getting on it good there is no more burn off coming from the engine and revs sound good.

2. I'm lean toward adding Stingers axle backs to the Roush Extreme, whats your opinions on these?
If better options let me know what you think.

3. I was almost thinking of getting JBA Catted H Pipe. Would this be better at cleaning up the exhaust over the axle backs?
I have a Procharger waiting to go on and know most don't like them with boost.

Thanks

ctt326

Brenspeed Hater
Reaction score
Usually H-pipes sound pretty mellow (compared to an x-pipe) but with LT's its gonna be LOUD no matter what. Cats will probably clean up the sound a good bit but you're not gonna want them with the procharger. Now that that everything has gone through a heat cycle just get under there and get everything tight.

Last edited:

redfiresixer

forum member
Reaction score
Number 1 way to kill trumpeting = resonators.

Weld in some loudmouths or m80s or magnapacks and you'll be set.

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
I don't want to weld in resonators as I wanna keep the Roush Extreme after cat section. It has resonator/mufflers already. I do know that any axel backs for the 2010 GT will bolt up to the Roush. Which is why I'm leaning toward the Stingers.

fordracer666

forum member
Reaction score
Stinger

I don't want to weld in resonators as I wanna keep the Roush Extreme after cat section. It has resonator/mufflers already. I do know that any axel backs for the 2010 GT will bolt up to the Roush. Which is why I'm leaning toward the Stingers.

Stingers are pretty damn loud too. They will trumpet as well!
That's why alot of us weld in resonators. I run m80's and they work great!!

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score

Number 1 way to kill trumpeting = cats.

I had an O/R X pipe with M-80s on it and it still trumpeted really bad. Worse than an O/R H pipe without M-80s.

OU81

slow typical mustang...
Reaction score
Put some mufflers or better resonators on it. Those lil tiny resonators on the roush extreme dont do much. You are running straight pipe exhaust w/ that set up. Put an axleback muffler set up on the roush extreme or get some magnapacks for it & weld them in the roush resonator spots.

I had the roush extreme. Even w/ stock manifolds & a catted x it trumpeted very badly

NickSezz

NJSEOS
Reaction score
If you have the factory cans still, throw them back on and see how you like it. A friend of mine had LT's with an off road pro-chamber and MAC AB's and it sounded great.

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
Number 1 way to kill trumpeting = cats.

This.

Ask me how I know.
I have went catted H -> ORX -> catted X -> and now ORH with my long tubes. I haven't tried OR prochamber though. Curious how that will sound.

You have a supercharger so you might wanna get metalic cats.

OU81

slow typical mustang...
Reaction score
Roush extreme exhaust is going to trumpet no matter what aftermarket cat you put on it. The only cats that calm it down are stock cats. All it is is straight pipe set up w/ tiny resonators. Its an overly expensive set of pype bombs w/ over the axles. It sounds "mildly ok" w/ stock cats but w/ anything else it sounds like a $550 pile of trumpeting crap. Get an axle back set up use it w/ the roush extreme resonated over the axles. That way you have resonators & a nice muffler set up.

stang8psi

forum member
Reaction score
Put some mufflers or better resonators on it. Those lil tiny resonators on the roush extreme dont do much. You are running straight pipe exhaust w/ that set up. Put an axleback muffler set up on the roush extreme or get some magnapacks for it & weld them in the roush resonator spots.

I had the roush extreme. Even w/ stock manifolds & a catted x it trumpeted very badly

This^ Exactly what I did. It sounds so sweet.

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
I'm picking up some 2010 GT500 stock axel backs tomorrow. I'll install them and see if it helps, if not I will order the JBA catted H Pipe over the weekend. I did some searching and it looks to be a metallic cat.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
I actually like the so-called "trumpeting" I get with my Flowmasters and off-road H-pipe. It was honestly a big startling at first, but I'm used to it inside the car and outside the car it sounds amazing.

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
You need to put a set of chambered mufflers on along with resonators. With my Hot Rod cams, LT headers+o/r H, I had a bad trumpet. Originally I had Stingers only and they were awful. I then went to the FRPP GT-A mufflers and it was better. I just added the resonators and it is good now.

06Mach1

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone get trumpeting with stock manifolds? Seems like the common denominator is LTs.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score

X2

After pulling my cats out my car was just to loud I took it back and had some very short cherry bombs put in backwards where the cats where and it made all the difference.

Good luck man

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back