IAT2

lx92coupe

forum member
Reaction score
The summer heat is brutal! What are the pro's and con's of a 170 tstat on a tvs coyote? I am planning to upgrade my heat exchanger soon also.

13 GT TVS 6R80

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I'd say little to none, maybe a small bit more detonation resistance, but inlet air temps are still going to determine the pre-detonation threshold much more than water temps 20-25* cooler. In short, I'd rather cut 5* in iat's vs 25* in coolant temps if it was me.

To me it's like an advertising ploy. Most of us could agree that cold air / open air filter element air intakes don't do much on a somewhat stock Coyote. But would you rather sell a guy just a tuner/tune for 450, or pedal a T-stat, and a CAI to someone for a grand. Chances are 98% of the power came from the tune, but the consumer isn't going to complain because he now has 24 more rwhp regardless of what part is responsible for the gain. At least that's my take on cooler T-stats.

I'd email or call VMP, and see what they say, I'm betting he has tested this, or is an included part in his supercharger kits if it has any value to engine safety or performance.

Last edited:

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
170 T-stat will have little effect on your IAT2. A larger heat exchanger however will. While the engine will run cooler with a tune correction to run the radiator fan lower in the temp range, and granted that lowers induced heat into the IC via the engine it has little effect. The heat exchanger is your friend in that instance.

Now that said, a power adder which allows the engine to make more power means more heat. That means cylinder temps will be higher. The 170 degree T-stat will help to some degree keeping the engine closer to its normal temperature operating range...depending on the build. The tune also has to be corrected to work in conjunction with the 170 degree T-stat. There is also the option of a better air movement fan offered by FRPP and then of course the final option is upgrading the radiator to overcome engine cylinder temps.

Remember that a supercharger regardless of type is a pump. And in order to move a medium a differential pressure must be created by a compression process. That compression process produces heat. So as boost levels increase so will IAT2 temps. Ambient air temps are also a factor.

I went with a VMP triple pass heat exchanger on my car. The Roush HE was doing okay but IAT2 were getting upwards of 150 during a dyno pull. I never datalogged with that HE at the track. The triple pass seems to maintain IAT2 temps at 120 or so in 85 degree ambient at WOT on the dyno and at the track. 9.5-10psi boost level.

Hope this helps. While the H.E. will not produce more power, it will assist in keeping the IAT2 temps down on those cooler days which keeps the PCM from pulling timing on the big end during a pass. Plus way more consistent. I made three passes in 92degree air and all three were 11.4x passes. About 30-45minutes between passes.

Def give Justin, Joe, and Alex a call at VMP. They are the go to guys for me. I've learned a lot from them.

lx92coupe

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. Mine is a stage 1 Roush with VMP tune. It ran best of [email protected] in 1500 DA in mid 80 degrees. I plan on getting the VMP heat exchanger and maybe a 82 pulley.
The last time at track in the heat, first pass 11.6, the 11.75, then 11.9. It was 95 and 3000 DA

13 GT TVS 6R80

Last edited:

lx92coupe

forum member
Reaction score
It was a big event and the lanes were full so it got hot again after cooling down in the pits
It weighs 3700 and I can't push it through the staging lanes, LOL

13 GT TVS 6R80

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I am a huge proponent of the 170 stats, Reische specifically.

Once I put the TVS on my car, my ECT and ACTs went up substantially....and the 170 stat effectively put them back where they were when the car was bone stock.

Not only that, but one thing that people do not mention or maybe even consider is heat soak. When you drive the car on a 80-100 degree day....and park the car for 20-30 mins, it heat soaks BIG time.

Taking temp away from your engine, helps lower the overall temps you will see when you experience heat soak. Recovery time after heat soak generally improves drastically with cooler engine temps.

I think everyone with a TVS should consider a 170 stat, a larger Heat Exchanger and a higher flowing IC pump. Big changes in those alone, and much more power making potential.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Forgot the data.

Pre 170 stat, my ECT were touching 215-220~range, and CHT in the 220-230+~ range in 4th gear WOT.

Post 170 stat, ECT rarely ever touches 200...and CHT never goes over 210-212.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I'll second the 170 stat. I have one in my 04 which has the iron block. I bought the car with the 170 in place, but the fans weren't adjusted correctly. When I'd get home and pop the hood the amount of heat radiating was crazy. Once I retuned it and adjusted the fans per Reische my ECT stays under 190 (usually 188 max sitting in traffic) and when I get home and pop the hood the amount of heat radiating is noticably less. I have to imagine that's helping my IAT's as well.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
It was a big event and the lanes were full so it got hot again after cooling down in the pits
It weighs 3700 and I can't push it through the staging lanes, LOL

13 GT TVS 6R80

the VMP triple pass will minimize this. I ran 3x11.4x in NMRA true street in 92 ambient air and a DA that was 3500 min. It was torcher that day. The only thing keeping the car that consistent was the HE. 30 mile drive backed by 3 b2b passes. 85 cars in the class. Hood was never allowed to be opened. no cooling with external sources. A friend of mine burped out his degas bottle so bad he thought he'd blown a hose or head gasket.

And like Dylan the T-stat will keep cylinder temps down. FI mine rarely goes above 203.

VMP is a great performance group. And BMR is a great suspension group. If only I could get Dylan and Kelly to make a one inch drop front Drag spring specifically for the FI setups on GT's in thwe same lb/in rating as the 1.5.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back