Im not sure what this is or its purpose...

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
Okay I feel like an idiot and I know this is a stupid question but here we go...

What is the black mat thing on the underside of the Hood for? Do I need it for anything, because I'm thinking it would look better without it possibly. Thanks guys.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As much as it pains me to answer a mustangforums question... you did at least give a disclaimer prior to stating the question and even posted the question in the correct forum. So it at least deserves an answer before the beat down starts.

It is hood insulation. It serves two purposes. First, to decrease the noise level coming out of the engine compartment. Second, it detour the heat bake to the underside of the painted surface of your hood from the heat of the engine compartment. Well... also in the event of a fire it supposed to help keep the hood from frying so quickly. But quite honestly if my car is on fire having a burn spot in my hood is the least of my worries.

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
Okay thank you. Funny you said that's a mustangforums question lol I thought that right as I posted this and figured I would get more of an intelligent answer here.

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
Not sure why you would want to... hell... I'm not sure why I did. I had to rip it to get it off, and wished I had never taken it off.
4283365570_f1b6c0ef03_b.jpg

3933385470_ee95378525.jpg

Last edited:

20Mustang10

Reaction score
If you take the insulator off, don't you run the risk of having the heat from the engine mess up the paint on the top side?

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
If you take the insulator off, don't you run the risk of having the heat from the engine mess up the paint on the top side?

I've run n/a, supercharged (centri, roots), single turbo, and twin turbo setups, all with no hood insulator, and not once have I had a problem with any heat effecting the paint on the top or bottom of the hood.

20Mustang10

Reaction score
I've run n/a, supercharged (centri, roots), single turbo, and twin turbo setups, all with no hood insulator, and not once have I had a problem with any heat effecting the paint on the top or bottom of the hood.

the reason i was wondering was the heat shield for the intake sits a little too tall and pushes up on one side of the hood and if i took the insulator out i believe it would give me enough room so that i wouldn't have to trim the heat shield on the intake.

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
Had mine off for almost a year, no issues. Just put it back on, because the cheap asses at Ford didn't paint the underside of my hood and I got tired of looking at it.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
I took mine off and removed the long rubber seal at the end that way some hot air might escape. A poor mans cowl hood....... just without the cowl

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back