Installed Painless wiring kit

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Ok, installed the 7 circuit painless fuse block the other day. This kit allows you to add up to 4 circuits with the ignition "on" and 3 hot circuits (always on). The kit keeps you from gutting the factory harness, and keeps installation of added electrical components neat and "clean"

-quality wire, relay, fuse blocks and circuit breaker
-all wires are color coded and individually labeled the entire lenght of the wire
-clean installation
-quick installation.. couple hours for a novice
-makes adding future electrical components quick and easy
-priced right
-pretty much a safe stand-alone system

Dislikes:

-hated the way the ground was setup. I could not use it the way it came as I did not bolt the fuse block to a firewall or other grounded surface... explain later
-not thrilled about some of the supplied crimps (I soldered everything anyway..not required)
-not happy with fuse taps for the ignition wire at smart junction box (sjb).. I used a add-a-circuit
-a first timer may not like the instructions all that much but should be able to figure out.
-a first timer may need to be "told" to remove fuses not used to power equipment... the wires are otherwise still live and the ends are not protected...duh.. but just sayin

First of all I had to remove the original ground and find a good ground source (with a new wire). Would not need to do this but did not want the fuse box outside in the engine compartment. Sure there are other ways it could be done with the supplied ground.

The power wire was routed thru the firewall just above the passenger footwell (right above where the carpet ends). There is an unused grommet there under the sound proof mat. Hard to locate from the engine compartment but it is there. It is right of and below the battery behind a rubber drain spout for the compartment air intake. Perfect spot. I just poked thru the mat to locate the hole from the inside of the car. Used the stock grommet and happy!

I am a bit picky as most mustang people are. I chose to solder and heat shrink everything. I also used an abraision prootective casing on all the wire bundles... looks better than factory. I did have a hard time deciding where to mount the fuse block so ended up finding a secure wire bundle under the glovebox and just zip tied to that.. I also dremmeled out the sjb cover and installed a grommet for the ignition wire. Remember to use specific in-line fuses for any circuit needimg "special" fuses (like my autometer gauges)..

Overall.. happy with this product. Wired up my intercooler pump, spall fans (relays), gauges and wot box! Would recommend!

http://www.jegs.com/i/Painless/764/70107/10002/-1

Attachments

• painless 1.jpg
    painless 1.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 108
  • painless 2.jpg
    painless 2.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 92
  • painless 3.jpg
    painless 3.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 80
  • painless 4.jpg
    painless 4.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 76
  • painless 5.jpg
    painless 5.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 92
  • painless 6.jpg
    painless 6.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

GT500KR

forum member
Reaction score
looks great man. i will have to do this soon as well. doing the GT500 s/c conversion to mine shortly. thanks for the write up

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I mounted it in the trunk area on the bar that goes along the back seat and rear deck. No pictures of it though at this point.

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is probably one of the most favorite things I've done to my car. I installed the same harness in my engine bay to wire all of my nitrous stuff in when I still had it. Also used it to power the line lock and a few other things.

And I agree about the ground. It really limits where you can put it unless you want to splice in additional wire.

Nice job on the mounting/location!

matt06

forum member
Reaction score
was just thinking the other day that im going to have an issue with getting power to everything im adding thanks for the heads up

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back