Installing H.I.D. Kits

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
Make sure you seal the bulb to housing REALLY good. Had mine in for over a year and now I'm getting moisture. Awesome mod to do if you drive a lot in the dark. I can see better at night than I can in the day with my 8k HID kit. Also I have them in my fog lights with no gaurd in front of the bulb. If I need someone to move out of the lane I'm in I flash those puppies on and I can see everything in the car infont of me lol.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
I bought one of those $100 kits on sale, i found that the bulb would not lick in tight and had a lot of play in it, the solution was to take the o-ring gasket from my OEM light bulb fixture and add it to the new bulb fixture, the doubled up gasket created a nice tight seal and the bulbs do not bounce or flicker when hitting bumps.

NO DRILLING REQUIRED

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
I bought one of those $100 kits on sale, i found that the bulb would not lick in tight and had a lot of play in it, the solution was to take the o-ring gasket from my OEM light bulb fixture and add it to the new bulb fixture, the doubled up gasket created a nice tight seal and the bulbs do not bounce or flicker when hitting bumps.

NO DRILLING REQUIRED
Ahhh so thats why they flicker.

wdkingery

@ home installer hero
Reaction score
Sorry i'm late..

retro-solutions.com

type in the word mustang in coupon area and get a discount (like ten percent)

lifetime warranty on his made-in-china setup.. i delt with him it seems if you had a problem (which in the end i did not) he would ship you whatever parts you needed for free

i am thoroughly pleased, and will likely use more of his products as xmas gifts.

i did our inner fogs and driving lights, both in 10k (color)

i think it was $155 for fogs and just under $200 for "bixenon" hi/lo's

you should see my entire write-up here!

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19559&highlight=HID+relay

smokinAMD

Reaction score
http://apexcone.com/

The DDM kit's are freaking amazing. I had a set in my old car for the fogs, and I ran over a piece of debris on the highway, one ballast got ripped completely out of the car and tumbled down the highway at 70mph and got ran over a few times. Guess what? It still worked.

Lifetime warranty on all the items in their kits as well.

BBQBats

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to thread jack, but I've got a question with the factory HID's. Does anyone know what color they are? For some reason Ford doesn't think you need them in the fog lamps, but it looks funny with regular bulbs.

smokinAMD

Reaction score
Sorry to thread jack, but I've got a question with the factory HID's. Does anyone know what color they are? For some reason Ford doesn't think you need them in the fog lamps, but it looks funny with regular bulbs.

Probably 4300k. Thats what most OEM hids are.

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
I have them in my fog lights but there is no cap over the tip of the light. It's EXTREMLY bright and will blind everyone. Your head lights have the cap over the bulb in front.

I use them when I'm in the country or if I need to move someone out of the fast lane. :2cents:

I have 8k's in both fog and headlight. LOVE THEM will NEVER go back to regular headlights. My 68 Cougar is getting HID's lol.

BBQBats

forum member
Reaction score
I have them in my fog lights but there is no cap over the tip of the light. It's EXTREMLY bright and will blind everyone. Your head lights have the cap over the bulb in front.

I use them when I'm in the country or if I need to move someone out of the fast lane. :2cents:

I have 8k's in both fog and headlight. LOVE THEM will NEVER go back to regular headlights. My 68 Cougar is getting HID's lol.

Will the cap make a difference if i get the 4300k bulb for the fogs?

smokinAMD

Reaction score
Yes, it will make a difference. Not much in color output, but more in the cutoff and the intensity of the light.

Legally speaking, you need to have a projector or a reflective cap to run hid's.

I want to track down a set of 2010 GT headlamps and try retrofitting a set of Acura MDX projectors in the foglights just so I can have a clean crisp lighting setup without being hassled by the popo.

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
Will the cap make a difference if i get the 4300k bulb for the fogs?
I wouldn't run HID's without the cap courtsey for other drivers. Plus you WILL get a ticket.

Let me put it to you this way. I don't care what color or 4000k-12000k if you were behind a car and turned those fog lights on with no cap... You can see everything in the car thats infront of you. Almost as if a police officer putting a spot light on you. (Not like I would know :dunce: )

Even with the caps for my 8k kit I blind people and they always blink the highbeams at me. But hey other cars come stock with them and blind me. The fog lights are 5X worse without the caps.

Here this should help you lol. My car with both headlights and fog lights on. Notice no street lights and how bright the road is.

attachment.php

attachment.php

BBQBats

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, but how do I install caps into the fogs? I want both to be HID, it looks silly with just the headlights being improved. Looking at HID sites, they don't seem to have caps.

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, but how do I install caps into the fogs? I want both to be HID, it looks silly with just the headlights being improved. Looking at HID sites, they don't seem to have caps.
Your headlights come with them stock your fog lights do not. You can put HID's in your fog's but I wouldn't use them much with traffic. :2cents:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back