Is it time for a repaint, or what can be done????

despinos

Reaction score
The pictures say it all. Have got a few different opinions on what can be done. I want some opinions for the S197 guys (I trust your words more than a few guys I have talked to locally)

I believe the clear is flaking off. It was painted by a local shop when I bought the car. They won't stand by the product and will not warranty their shitty work.

Can it be wet sanded and re-cleared or does it need to be repainted?

Thanks for any input.

HOOD:

TRUNK:

SPOILER:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like it can be repaired with a sand and reclear, need better pictures of the bare paint though.

Edit: after further look, I'd repaint.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Wow, that's horrible. I'd find a shop that uses better materials, even if it costs a bit more.

despinos

Reaction score
Looks like it can be repaired with a sand and reclear, need better pictures of the bare paint though.

I'll try to snap some now.

Wow, that's horrible. I'd find a shop that uses better materials, even if it costs a bit more.

I agree. Unfortunately it was my Ford dealer that contracted the paint job out to a local company. They obviously used shitty materials. I got a big fuck you from the dealer and the local company. That dealer no longer has my business. My family has bought 5 vehicles from them over the last 10 years. And I have sent plenty of business there way. I just help my sister get a 13 mustang club of america edition vert brand new about a month ago, it was definitely not from them.

despinos

Reaction score

Edit: after further look, I'd repaint.

That's what I was coming to realize after looking at those pictures. I got quotes from 2 reputable paint shops here. both were at $1400 for a repaint on the top of the hood and top of the trunk.

How old is that paint?

6 years old. It has only been exposed with no clear in those areas for about 6 months.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Yeah, at 6 years you're pretty much SOL. You may have had better luck bringing it back about 3-4 years ago.

despinos

Reaction score
It's a bummer. I didn't want to shell out money for that right now, but I feel bad driving it around like that.

despinos

Reaction score
It does, I actually took care of the paint (proper hand washes, polishes and sealants). The rest of the car looks good.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back