Is the 2015 Mustsang GT too heavy?

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
I heard it gained weight and doesn't really handle that well.

Any truth to this?

And what's with the $45K price for it? Is that true ?

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
First, if you haven't driven one, go do it. It's unbelievable how flat these cars handle from the factory. When I first drove a PP car, I was extremely impressed with how comfortable yet, poised the car was. Usually it's one or the other.

The GT's gained between 50-80lbs depending on which gearbox is in it.

The average price difference between a '14 and '15 GT (respectively) is about $1,000-$2000 depending on how they're equipped.

Most of the features available on a '15 401A weren't even available or produced in so few #'s, they might as well have not been available.

IMO, what you get on these new cars vs. the price difference (MSRP to MSRP) is beyond worth it.

GT's with an MSRP north of $43K have Adaptive Cruise, Recaros, the optional 20s, Reverse Park Assist, NAV, sometimes a 50 yrs. pkg, etc.

More stuff = more $$$

Last edited:

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Please don't take this wrong, truly not trying to be a douche about it. But instead of asking about weight and pricing why not just go drive one at your local Dealership. Some dealerships even have left over 2014's on the lot. Go in and drive both and price out a car you'd actually want to own.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
Please don't take this wrong, truly not trying to be a douche about it. But instead of asking about weight and pricing why not just go drive one at your local Dealership. Some dealerships even have left over 2014's on the lot. Go in and drive both and price out a car you'd actually want to own.

:waytogo:

waylander

forum member
Reaction score
slightly O/T - in absolute terms yes the S550 does weigh too much, no doubt (it's a mpdern car - they ALL weigh too much). However in relative terms it's actually not at all bad and has a rep for handling very well (as well as a nice interior) - my issue with it is the styling... can't get past that :(

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
For me once the 15s came out I fell in love with the body style. Was gonna wait for a 16 but couldnt hold out after driving a few. Bought a base gt to do quite a bit of stuff too and ride and handling is light years above my older stang

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
It is still lighter than the Camaro, and as Kato said, it is less than 100 lbs. difference. Vorshlag even weighed one, and got similar results for weight. The IRS makes up for it though.

Redfire_WNL

THE BEAST UNLEASHED!
Reaction score
I love my 15 GT PP and even stock it rides 10x better then my 06 GT with all of the suspension components upgraded. I paid $41,xxx for my premium GT PP with park assist and if you look at what you get for what you spent its actually a good deal. Especially if you compare previous models all decked out and even more when you compare it to the Camaro and Challenger.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
It is still lighter than the Camaro, and as Kato said, it is less than 100 lbs. difference. Vorshlag even weighed one, and got similar results for weight. The IRS makes up for it though.

I love my 15 GT PP and even stock it rides 10x better then my 06 GT with all of the suspension components upgraded. I paid $41,xxx for my premium GT PP with park assist and if you look at what you get for what you spent its actually a good deal. Especially if you compare previous models all decked out and even more when you compare it to the Camaro and Challenger.

Exactly. Compared to yesteryear and competitors, it's the best bang for your buck. Hands down.

Budwise

forum member
Reaction score
I owned a 13GT and now a 15 GT PP and you'd think the 15 weighs less after you drive it.

timfoster405

forum member
Reaction score
My payment dropped $20 from my '13 payment to my '15 payment.

Out the door, my '15 GT Auto w/ 3.55's was 33,500 w/ taxes.

The automatics only gained 54 lbs from '13-'14 to the new '15.

The way the car drives is night & day from the previous models...the fit/finish of the interior is way better in my opinion.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
And what's with the $45K price for it? Is that true ?

I've sold a couple of new '15 Mustang GT's just under $30K (base 300A coupe, manual trans). Most popularly equipped GT Premium coupes tend to be in the mid to upper $30's, with very few topping $40K, and only when loaded with most all the goodies.

Jet45

Stang Noob
Reaction score
I've sold a couple of new '15 Mustang GT's just under $30K (base 300A coupe, manual trans). Most popularly equipped GT Premium coupes tend to be in the mid to upper $30's, with very few topping $40K, and only when loaded with most all the goodies.

One local dealer has a couple 2015 GT's in the mid-30's, which IMHO is a smokin' deal for what you get. These are some sweet driving cars and make my '09 feel like a dinosaur. Unfortunately, no new car payments for me until I pay off the truck. :(

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I should have my car paid off within the next year, and then I would be looking at GT350s.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I could get a base GT, which is plenty for me considering the standard features, for $29K through USAA. I'm just waiting to pay the lien on the Edge down a lot more.

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
Anybody have any idea how much the weight difference is going from 300a interior to 400a? Let's say no big ass shaker system and both mt82 cars. Probably not even enough to worry about but I have been kinda searching and cannot find the answer.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
The only difference would be the difference in weight of cloth vs leather. Unless you can find someone with a 300a and a 400a to pull their stuff out and weigh it, I doubt you'll find the info.

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
Yea all I saw was that other thread that weighed individual parts and said the 300a PP car weighed like 3734 or something. I also figured the added screen and whatever other electronics it has would add something. It's not really a big deal I was just hoping someone would know the answer and that the answer is that the 400a is significantly heavier and not worth the extra money so I don't buy it haha.

Back