Is there an aftermarket equivalent to the S197 factory mufflers?

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This past spring I put my OE axle backs on my car, which has long tube headers and a catted shorty H pipe, just to see how it would sound-- and I am blown away by them. The car sounds incredible, is still fairly loud, and yet has about half the cabin drone I had with most of the aftermarket axle backs I tried on the car after installing the headers.

I know the factory axle backs are some kind of chambered design, is there anything aftermarket that is comparable to these? Especially with this low drone. I'm not sure if there is. Asking because I'm thinking about changing up the exhaust on my truck (5.0 F150) and I'd love to be able to get something similar to these.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Why not just go pull a pair of mufflers off a mustang at a junk yard or buy a cheap set of oem mufflers from someone that swapped? Then just have an exhaust shop weld up custom pipes to them.

I have a set of oem 5.0 mufflers and a set of shelby mufflers sitting in my workshop if your interested in shipping either pair

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Don’t think the OEM axle backs are chambered (my original GOG ‘07 axle backs aren’t), like Flowmaster type mufflers but there are differences between the manual transmission (GOG vs AOA’s) axle backs and the automatic versions. The manual car axle backs are a little louder than the automatic cars. I had 2010 GT500 (SVT) axle backs on my ‘07 GT with Pypes long tubes, an un-catted X mid pipe and it sounded incredible. After I supercharged the engine that combination got louder than I expected. I’ve since switched to a catted H & Saleen PJ axle backs and It sounds better than it did with the 2010 AB’s. I know the Saleen’s are chambered vs the 2010 axle backs & consensus is that chambered exhaust sounds better with H pipes vs X pipes that sound better with non-chambered mufflers. From other aftermarket axle backs I’ve heard, the Magnaflow mufflers sound closest to OEM. My buddy had an ‘05 GT with catted H and Magnaflow mufflers and it sounded great.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I still have my original mufflers off my 2014 Mustang GT. I swapped them out with about 5k miles on the car. Open to offers.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why not just go pull a pair of mufflers off a mustang at a junk yard or buy a cheap set of oem mufflers from someone that swapped? Then just have an exhaust shop weld up custom pipes to them.

I have a set of oem 5.0 mufflers and a set of shelby mufflers sitting in my workshop if your interested in shipping either pair

I would go that route but- there's nothing locally, we have no u-pull yards within 2 hours, and everything online is too much money. Out of curiosity's sake, what is your zip and about how much do those mufflers weigh? I'm guessing shipping would be $$$

Plus- the offset/offset configuration of the actual OE mufflers is not really ideal for the setup on my truck. I can probably find something else that would work fine, I was just curious.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I would go that route but- there's nothing locally, we have no u-pull yards within 2 hours, and everything online is too much money. Out of curiosity's sake, what is your zip and about how much do those mufflers weigh? I'm guessing shipping would be $$$

Plus- the offset/offset configuration of the actual OE mufflers is not really ideal for the setup on my truck. I can probably find something else that would work fine, I was just curious.

I'm in north central florida, 32693. You're right, I'm sure shipping would be pricey. The OEM mufflers are heavy, but I think the GT500s were a bit lighter. I don't know the weight.

Reaction score
I have the Borla Touring mufflers on my 2008 Mustang GT. Slightly louder than stock and no drone. I'm still running the stock exhaust manifolds and H-pipe, but it the does have the DOB supercharger.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back