Freeze Plug access help

LeTont

Reaction score
My 09 Gt has blown a freeze plug right under the rear most cylinder exhaust port. I'd love some help with two things.
A. What is the part number for this plug and is there any vendors I should stay away from? It's a 4.6 triton f150 engine that has been fitted with 5.4 internals, don't believe the internals matter but just want to give all the info. I've got pypes headers on as well

B. What do I need to remove to be able to put a new plug in? I think the headers probably, but what else? Before I just start ripping everything out I was hoping someone might have a method or list of things that would need to come off.

Thanks in advance! Hope this isn't too crazy of a job, as I really just want to be able to drive my car again since it's had problems after problem for about two months now.

20240120_134655.jpg

JC SSP

Reaction score
Are you keeping the car? If not Dorman makes an expander plug for quick fixes.

If you are keeping the car freeze plugs have to be pressed/banged in with force. There might not be enough room to get sufficient force to push the plug evenly in place. Although from the pic it looks like a strait shot.

LeTont

Reaction score
I am keeping the car, and it does look possible if I remove enough stuff, the headers and steering tack for sure. I'm not sure how easy it is to get the headers off looks like I'll be deconstructing a lot unless someone has a method do this easier.

LeTont

Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding the freeze plug that I need. Everything on AutoZone/O'Reilly's says "universal fit" which cannot be true. Anyone know what size freezeplug fits the 2009 mustang?

JC SSP

Reaction score
Consider contacting a reputable machine shop that rebuilds engines. They will have them.

LeTont

Reaction score
I have yet to find a shop near me, Ive always done my own repairs because I'm broke but I'll see what I can find near me with Google. Thanks

AHaze

Reaction score
IIRC, the block freeze plugs are nominally 38mm. If you can get a set of inside calipers in there, you could confirm that.
My local parts store has a box in the back with multiple sizes of universal parts like this, o-rings, roll pins, trim fasteners etc... Alternatively, you could order the complete set off of Rockauto and the right one will be in there somewhere. Guessing it would be under $20.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back