Jacking the car from the middle?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Due to the car being lowered 2" and having aftermarket side skirts I cringe every time I need to jack the car up.

I even bought a low profile extra long floor jack but it still won't reach the front frame rails where is safe to jack. I can't use the pinch weld behind the front tires due the sideskirts covering.

So I saw this video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dDT3-nwSQD8

Where he uses the middle of the frame (assuming the pinch welds) to jack the car up.

Is this safe to follow?

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
From the sides, I use the side frame, setting the jack face on the flat part of the side rail past the crimp that hangs down. My race jack would sometimes slip off of that flat part when lowering back down, so I put some plates in place to prevent that and to put the jack under.

With a stock k-member, I like to use a bigger jack under the k-member under the center of the engine and raise the whole front from the k-member.

HEMI LOL

The Feast and The Famine
Reaction score
wouldn't see why you can't. I've got roush side skirts and this how i get my car onto jack stands.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Drive up on boards first to give yourself more ground clearance for a jack, or while time consuming use the factory jack at pinch weld to gain ground clearance then put larger jack where you want it.

As always, never work under just a jack

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
So dont use the actual pinch weld but right behind it?

Last edited:

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
I've used the front k member many times on mine, never had an issue. It's only on it long enough to get jack stands in place.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
So dont use the actual pinch weld but right behind it?

Realistically our cars are stiff enough, say you want front up, put factory jack on rear jack point to lift/tilt whole side so you have clearance at front to do what you want :beer:

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Where is everyone jacking up their car with BMR K-member?

I am about to make a custom cradle for my jack. Car almost slipped off when jacking it up by the center of the K-member (more than once). Maybe I am too lazy to jack up both sides of the car..

2006mach1

Reaction score
How about something like this? Bolt on jack plates so you do not damage the pinch weld.

c5uh.jpg

dz8p.jpg

koqb.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Where is everyone jacking up their car with BMR K-member?

I am about to make a custom cradle for my jack. Car almost slipped off when jacking it up by the center of the K-member (more than once). Maybe I am too lazy to jack up both sides of the car..

I never felt comfortable using the middle of my BMR K member. Just a single long tube, I always felt like it was the worst possible place. I always used both front corners where there's extra gusseting and would lift one side at a time. I would lift from the center if I could fab up an 18" brace/plate for the jack so I wasn't putting all the weight right in the dead center of the front K member tube.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Those pinch weld plates don't work with the Saleen sideskirts

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
I never felt comfortable using the middle of my BMR K member. Just a single long tube, I always felt like it was the worst possible place. I always used both front corners where there's extra gusseting and would lift one side at a time. I would lift from the center if I could fab up an 18" brace/plate for the jack so I wasn't putting all the weight right in the dead center of the front K member tube.

agree.. just thought I was being over cautious

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Jeez people. Just make some progressive ramps out of wood like I did. Then you can jack it up from anywhere you want. Problem solved.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
How about something like this? Bolt on jack plates so you do not damage the pinch weld.

c5uh.jpg

dz8p.jpg

koqb.jpg

Where'd ya get these????:thumb:

and all I got from that video was the fact he took a ball peen hammer to the expensive Brembos when driving the pins in!!!!!!!!!!:rant::tdown:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Seems kinda ridiculous that Ford designed the rockers to extend down to the level of the pinch weld. This shouldn't even be an issue. Dumb.

FWIW I know some people just stick the saddle under there and lift away and don't necessarily get damage from it.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I had to cut the ears off the tops of my jack stands so I could use them under the pinch welds without tearing up the rocker covers.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back