jumper for high speed fan

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
so i didnt wanna solder any wires to my relays cuz then i would have to replace it with a new one incase i had to get any warranty work done. i went ahead and made myself a jumper wire so that i could run the high speed fan while the key was turned. this should help alot on cool down times.

first you need a fuse holder, 30a fuse, and 2 terminal forks. i suggest a 12ga or bigger, cuz anything smaller than 12ga and you risk the chance of burning up the wire.

photo2-5.jpg

crimp the forks on each side of the fuse holder. then take a pair of pliers and break one side off the fork off cuz the whole fork wont fit into the slots.

photo3-3.jpg

pop in a fuse and your end product should look something like this.

photo4-3.jpg

there are four slots that the relay plugs into so here are the two slots that you will insert the jumper ends into. it does not matter which end goes where cuz all you are doing is closing a circuit.

photo1-1.jpg

photo5-3.jpg

i let it run for about 20 mins and didnt have any problems. the wire didnt get too hot and the fuse never blew so you should be good to go.

Last edited:

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
damn i know its ghetto but no comments at all.......

Hey ill comment on it. I just hooked up a wire from the relay to a ground. BUT your way looks cleaner and easier. Nothing to be seen. I will do that when I have to pull it apart again, or sooner. Thanks for posting it. I like it. :thanks1:

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
well this was is 100% reversible back to stock for those of us who are still under warranty

duece05

forum member
Reaction score
Hey ill comment on it. I just hooked up a wire from the relay to a ground. BUT your way looks cleaner and easier. Nothing to be seen. I will do that when I have to pull it apart again, or sooner. Thanks for posting it. I like it. :thanks1:

Which relay did you use and exactly where did you plug the ground wire into the relay connections, could you please pleas take a pic of what you have done and post it in this thread. Its freakin brutally hot down here in the south and I would love to get that little mod happening.

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
Leave it up to my car to throw a glitch in the process. Hooked it up, checked the manual AND relay orientation for control circuit ( 85-86 )and power cicuit (30-87 ). I went off your pic's which in effect only applies power to the control side circuitry for the fan which energizes the coil and move the relay power switch contact in accordance to the relay schematic.

Well it blew both 30 amp fuses. I would think it would apply power to the power circuit by jumping across, in effect taking the relay coil out of the process by using the jumper wire and appling DC power to the load(fan)...Got any recomendations?

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
How big of a gauge wire were you using? Really all the jumper does is close the circuit so that there is a constant power which turns on the fans. I have already the jumper atleast 20 times at the track for maybe 3-5 mins at a time with no problems.

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
Wait I just noticed that your car is a 06. I think I Read somewhere that the fan relay is different on the 07-09 cars. I'll see if I can look it up and find it.

Bkid

forum member
Reaction score
It is a shame it is not like this on the 06. I would like to have a jumper on mine.

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
Same kit as yours with 12 gauge wire. I took a look at the thread you suggested and there was not a real clear method or process to do this on the 05/06 models. It ended up talking about Don's and tmcolger low speed fan failure. It appears Don had his wired to the #30 post on the low speed relay and it eventually smoked the resistor. I would like, before I go ahead and wire it to the high speed relay post ? #30 confirm the operation. I think Thump_rr hooked his up that way. If this is correct all you would have to do is solder the lead to the relay post and use the fuse kit like you indentified and crimp a 12 gauge wire, run it to gorund with a term lug. Whenever you want to use it just insert the 30 amp fuse in place of a switch and your good to go.

BTW, I work in the engineering business. We use a process called configuration management to keep the apples and oranges sorted out. This thread should be re-named "Jumper for high speed fan, S197 AF". The AF stands for "and follow" noting the current year and follow on years models if applicable. Since we are getting into sub models of the S197 this might help keep things from getting a little crossed between different models and year changes. Then again thight might be opening up a big can of worms

Bkid

forum member
Reaction score
Same kit as yours with 12 gauge wire. I took a look at the thread you suggested and there was not a real clear method or process to do this on the 05/06 models. It ended up talking about Don's and tmcolger low speed fan failure. It appears Don had his wired to the #30 post on the low speed relay and it eventually smoked the resistor. I would like, before I go ahead and wire it to the high speed relay post ? #30 confirm the operation. I think Thump_rr hooked his up that way. If this is correct all you would have to do is solder the lead to the relay post and use the fuse kit like you indentified and crimp a 12 gauge wire, run it to gorund with a term lug. Whenever you want to use it just insert the 30 amp fuse in place of a switch and your good to go.

BTW, I work in the engineering business. We use a process called configuration management to keep the apples and oranges sorted out. This thread should be re-named "Jumper for high speed fan, S197 AF". The AF stands for "and follow" noting the current year and follow on years models if applicable. Since we are getting into sub models of the S197 this might help keep things from getting a little crossed between different models and year changes. Then again thight might be opening up a big can of worms
Do you have any pics of the set up?

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
Jroc,
By doing what u did, once the car is turned on the fans automatically kick on to high ?

No this makes the high speed fan come on while the car is off. Be advised that this mod works on a 2007 and may not work on 2005-06 cars.

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have any pics of the set up?
No pic's just an analysis of could be done. AnotheR method was brought up in another thread recomended in this thread by a link was to just slice in a direct wire with switch or relay to the fan. I don't see why you need a relay. A relay is just a control switch activated mechanically or electrically by a magnetic force. If you do anything make sure you have a spliced in fuse (30 amp) or so to have saftey protection. I'm not sure how many amps the fan pulls but can't see more that 10 amps. It's not that large.

I'm going to piddle around with mine when I get time. I was lookin at a Speed Of Sound solution on the instrument paddle integrating the line locks, N20 , fan, and Replacing the Shaker 500 w/ satillite radio.

I wish we had on sight here some one that was electrically sound with these cars. The manual I have for the car doesn't show you the electrical systems in regard to power requirments VDC, loads, amps...etc.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back