Just added Bama tune and AirAid CAI... tiny bit of pinging

timfoster405

forum member
Reaction score
Just installed a Airaid CAI and Bama Street 93 Octane tune and drove it for only a few minutes...getting late in the evening..

I have a full tank of 93 Octane in the tank. I did 2 WOT blasts in 2nd and 3rd and heard just a tiny bit of pinging. Will the engine 'teach' itself and cause the pinging to go away?... or do I need to contact Bama for a tune update...or maybe blow through the gas and filler up with another brand...

It's got citgo in the tank now.

BlindGUYnAR

forum member
Reaction score
I think at the very least BAMAKO should look at the tune for issues. Pinging can sometimes hurt an engine pretty quick.

EGNARO

Orange Backwards
Reaction score
yea i would hit them up ASAP. they'll have you datalog and send you out another crappy tune

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Maybe get a different tune. Get one from somebody local, have them either tune it on the dyno, or street tune it. Only actual way to be safe, as the tuner is right there with the car looking at things as they happen.

timfoster405

forum member
Reaction score
they supplied me with an 87 octane tune and there is zero pinging. I will burn up the tank and get gas elsewhere... and try it again.

I think I will just settle on a 91 Octane tune anyway while running 93 from a reputable source.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Tim, you should just take it to Revolution Automotive(Adam) or JPC(Kevin) and let them tune it for you. Both really know the 5.0 really well and have already done plenty of work on the 15's.

I saw Steve Fro for lunch the other day and we talked about you briefly! Hope all is well.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Listen to these guys and get a decent tune. I've had a VMP tune on my car since a week after I bought it. Zero updates to the tune in almost a year and I have zero driveability issues. It will break the tires loose when I hit second and again at the top of second gear accelerating away from a stop light. About half the time it will chirp third. I'll turn 11K miles on the car today and it's almost as strong as my Bullitt was with the M90.

AMAlexLazarus

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Just installed a Airaid CAI and Bama Street 93 Octane tune and drove it for only a few minutes...getting late in the evening..

I have a full tank of 93 Octane in the tank. I did 2 WOT blasts in 2nd and 3rd and heard just a tiny bit of pinging. Will the engine 'teach' itself and cause the pinging to go away?... or do I need to contact Bama for a tune update...or maybe blow through the gas and filler up with another brand...

It's got citgo in the tank now.

Tim,

Glad to see you got a new Mustang. I know Chris Rose here speaks highly of your E-Force blown S197.

As for your tune issue... this is something that the Bama team would have no problem fixing. The Bama team tunes this combination all the time, so I wouldn't worry at all. Cars have different tolerances for timing from the factory and you never know what kind of fuel you encounter out there. I would run the 87 octane tune and burn through the gas you have, since the timing will be very conservative and knock sensors can pull timing if need be, but shouldn't need to with the 87 tune. Then, fill up with really good quality fuel from a Sunoco/Shell station and give the Bama team a call and They'll log with you and make sure it's not knocking. The Bama team lets the knock sensors do their thing, so the fact that it's still audible even with their 93 tune pulling a bunch of timing leads me to believe it will be in fuel quality.

They'll get you fixed up, but if you need me to facilitate anything, shoot me over a PM.

Enjoy the new S550!

timfoster405

forum member
Reaction score
Tim,

Glad to see you got a new Mustang. I know Chris Rose here speaks highly of your E-Force blown S197.

As for your tune issue... this is something that the Bama team would have no problem fixing. The Bama team tunes this combination all the time, so I wouldn't worry at all. Cars have different tolerances for timing from the factory and you never know what kind of fuel you encounter out there. I would run the 87 octane tune and burn through the gas you have, since the timing will be very conservative and knock sensors can pull timing if need be, but shouldn't need to with the 87 tune. Then, fill up with really good quality fuel from a Sunoco/Shell station and give the Bama team a call and They'll log with you and make sure it's not knocking. The Bama team lets the knock sensors do their thing, so the fact that it's still audible even with their 93 tune pulling a bunch of timing leads me to believe it will be in fuel quality.

They'll get you fixed up, but if you need me to facilitate anything, shoot me over a PM.

Enjoy the new S550!

That's the plan... I have another 100 mile to tank is empty. I was considering getting 93 octane from Costco... I recall reading their gas was of high quality... but I will hit up the local sunoco station near me.

Other question, what differences do you guys see in rwhp between the manuals and auto's?

AndrewS197

forum member
Reaction score
Listen to these guys and get a decent tune. I've had a VMP tune on my car since a week after I bought it. Zero updates to the tune in almost a year and I have zero driveability issues. It will break the tires loose when I hit second and again at the top of second gear accelerating away from a stop light. About half the time it will chirp third. I'll turn 11K miles on the car today and it's almost as strong as my Bullitt was with the M90.

My 14 chirps 4th bone stock. Can't imagine with a gear and tune.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
My 14 chirps 4th bone stock. Can't imagine with a gear and tune.
Get better tires. I would bark third pretty hard, and chirp 4th on the stock tires, and my winter tires, but I barely chirp second when I have the summer tires on.

AMAlexLazarus

Official Vendor
Reaction score
That's the plan... I have another 100 mile to tank is empty. I was considering getting 93 octane from Costco... I recall reading their gas was of high quality... but I will hit up the local sunoco station near me.

Other question, what differences do you guys see in rwhp between the manuals and auto's?

Tim - Sounds good. That's a good question and I really can't comment on this as I've never used their fuel but I did some quick research and was surprised to see that their fuel quality ranks really well (Check out this article) In regards to Auto V Manual It really depends on the car, mileage, support mods, dyno - I was at a dyno day recently where 2 GT's with identical mods saw a difference of about 10 rear wheel and I'm beginning to think that some of S550's are "Factory Freaks" (Remember when guys we're taking 03-04's off the showroom floor and some were putting down 360 and others were making 375+) and it really just differs from vehicle to vehicle!

Alex

claudermilk

Reaction score
LOL, that article is for investors. Sure, Costco will rank very high as every single one I've been to almost always has a line--sometimes a ridiculous line (they have that huge area behind the pumps for a reason--it will fill up during busy times).

That said, I primarily use Costco premium and the cars like it just fine.

AndrewS197

forum member
Reaction score
Get better tires. I would bark third pretty hard, and chirp 4th on the stock tires, and my winter tires, but I barely chirp second when I have the summer tires on.

That was when I running was shitty sumitomos. Lol. Have Mickey Thompson street comps now and it's much better.

timfoster405

forum member
Reaction score
93 Octane from Sunoco... no difference, still pinging... sent datalog file off to Bama, waiting to hear back. It was pinging so bad on a 3rd gear pull that I let out of it at 5500 rpms.

I looked at the datalog file and saw the knock sensor at 3 degrees. The A/F was around 12 a/f and the timing advance was around 24 to 25 degrees.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back