just need alittle info on polishing

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
i've been lurking in here a few days so its time to leave the corner carving guys alone for abit and bother you guys. i've always just washed a car and occasionally waxed it but now i have a car im proud of and i wanna make the paint pop.

after watching some vids i think my car has "good" paint. it does have a few fine scratches and swirl marks i'd like to get out. my clear was sanded where the stripes were put and then just the stripes were cleared so there is a lip...will this hurt the process i need to take?

so this is what im getting out of it. i need to wash it, claybar it, use a light polish to remove swirls and scratches, seal it then wax.?.

i was thinking of buying this.http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-...=1364863890&sr=8-1&keywords=porter+cable+7424

would the pad that comes with it be good for getting the swirls out? is it possible to burn through with this polisher? if not im open to recommendations.

thanks,David

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
i read through it and he likes the Meguiars G100, G110, or Flex. the flex is way outta my price range so i did look up the G110 and that is an option. i just didnt know if the PC was about the same for less money since i may use it 4 times a year but if the G110 is better i'll buy it.

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
When i had my PC i ran a 5 inch backing plate and 5.5 inch pads. Anything bigger for the PC seems to bog it down (IMO). Don't get me wrong tho, the PC is a great machine with the right size pads. I prefer the Lake County Hydro tech pads, but again, that's my preference. DA's (PC, flex, Rupes) are dual orbital polishers which means they spin two ways, not just in a circle like a rotary which helps them to stay cooler and the risk of burning through the clear coat is near impossible (If even possible).

You will need to wash it, clay it, polish it with the desired polish/compound and pad combo you want then wash it again then seal it. I usually spray some 50/50 IPA/water on the car after the second wash to help make sure all the polish/compound is removed. This helps give you a fresh base to start with then you can lay on the sealant and/or wax. There is a lot of info in the stickies and yes, it is a lot of reading but worth it.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I recommend the griots! It's my first DA. Has more power than the PC and same price point

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back