The latest and greatest, Ceramic Coating

Kput

forum member
Reaction score
Haven't seen too much mentioned about this new tech, wanted to inform and see who has used what.

I am in no way affiliated with these companies, just wanted to educate you guys on this fantastic new product.
If you have any questions on application or product recommendations, PM me!

I'll type some stuff out verbatim, I'm no expert, but there might be one hiding here somewhere.

What is a ceramic coating?
Ceramic Coatings are essentially liquid crystal, you layer it over the top of your paint, like a wax or sealant. The magic of Ceramics is that they harden and cure into actual glass-like crystals.

What does it do?
Protects your car. Better than a wax. Better than a sealant. Better than anything really. Imagine having a layer of glass over the top of your paint!
One layer provides light durability (1-2 years), minor swirl prevention, and great water beading/sheeting.

What can it go on?
Everything. Paint, trim, rims, glass, head and tail lights, etc etc etc!
It protects and seals everything in. Products like CarPro Dlux bring your plastics back to black and seal them in for years.
CarPro Flybyforte adds super hydrophobic properties to your windshields and glass.

What brands are there?
Tons! My favorites are IGreenlover, CQuartz by CarPro, and CeramicPro.

How many coats?
One coat, great water beading and sheeting. 1-2 years durability.
Two coats: even more so than previous! The more coats, the longer it lasts.
7+ Coats: videos online show scratch prevention, battery acid and brake fluid rolling off, and even the ability to pour gas on the paint and set it on fire with no harm to the paint....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PokTJUlz41E

How to apply?
It's like a wax, but more complicated. The process requires the car to be in the condition you want it to stay in. Advanced correction is recommended, because why seal in the swirls and imperfections? Once the car is corrected to your standards, it needs to be cleaned. A simple IPA solution works, but most manufacturers of the product carry their own product. CarPro Eraser is an example. It removes all polishing oils from the surface of the paint, to allow maximum adhesion to the paint.
Once the paint is clean, you apply the product lightly in a crossweave pattern with the supplied applicators. Allow time to cure, based off humidity, temperature and product.. 15 mins to an hour usually. Take numerous clean microfiber, super plush, and even out the coating. This takes the longest. No high spots can remain on the car or they will look that way until you polish it off. Full hardness is attained after 7 days. No water for 24 hours, no soap for the first week. Infrared lights can be used to speed the curing process..

Maintenance?
Birds droppings and likewise must be removed immediately, as the acidity strips the coating. Same with road salts and ice-melters. CarPro offers Reflect as a top sealer to go over and revitalize the water sheeting.

Here's a video I made comparing the water behavior to different types of detailing product.
Stripped paint, versus Supernatural Hybrid Wax/Sealant, versus CQuartz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihPGk6SIFe4

And some pics of my work!
12119107_492960564206000_2205806309536296007_n_zps052xkve7.jpg

10428263_331197180382340_7467296452054127174_o_zpsptmasood.jpg

10672051_340455622789829_2009914712870858380_n_zpsomgxbgzf.jpg

16467_408629652639092_1750595032833239695_n_zpsvctt5nwz.jpg

10641117_348312588670799_7934750199739873115_n_zpsna63fxyg.jpg

10891845_385419428293448_6768067869818015101_n_zpsgdglsmld.jpg

10534647_312657148903010_8496125934832046457_n_zpssspbigis.jpg

28ONE

Reaction score
The market is being flooded with coatings - I've tried Opticoat 2.0, Opti Glosscoat, Pinnacle Black Label, Cquartz UK, Blackfire Crystal Coat, and Polish Angel Cosmic. The challenge is the everyday consumer probably will not put forth any effort to polish the paint prior to coating application.

Be nice to have a coating with filling properties...

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
I noticed that it said the ceramic pro doesnt hold up to rock salt. Is this true of all the coatings?

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
if they dont hold up to rock salt they are worthless to me. Do you know if the polish angel holds up to rock salt?

Kput

forum member
Reaction score
I do agree, most consumers won't take the time to polish the vehicle. But then again it isn't really designed with the consumer in mind. Detailers are making thousands of dollars off polish/coating packages. If I had the clientele I'd be running it full time raking in the dough.

I don't know too much about rock salt. Not sure how acidic it is, but I feel it's the same with bird droppings, needs to be removed immediately so it doesn't affect the integrity of the coating.

My new car will be garage kept all winter, so I'm not too worried.. I concentrate on the product more for the swirl resistance. Especially on Ford's fragile black paint/clear.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
Ceramic coatings are quickly becoming a thing of the past. I've mentioned on here before the Nanohide coating. I started installing for them a little over a year ago, and my Mustang was the second car I ever did. I've since done over 30 cars.

I just got done yesterday doing a collection for a gentleman: A Monaco Grand Prix Ferrari 458 Italia pace car, a Ferrari California, a Bentley Le Mans convertible (#10 of 40), and a Mercedes AMG suv with a built motor and Bi-turbo's (nice daily driver, eh??)

The guy was so impressed with Nanohide on his 458 that he had me do all of his cars.

Search Youtube for Nanohide and there is a video of a gentleman taking a screwdriver to a hood and curing the scratches with a heat gun. The stuff is really pretty awesome. Kput, if you are a detailer, PM me and I will get you intouch with the owner of hte company. Nanohide can be only be installed by certified installers, so maybe this would be an additional option.

Btw, it lasts 7 years, not 1-2, there is no maintenance like CQuartz and some other coatings, and it costs about the same.

Kput

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a self-healing clearcoat, is that accurate?
Definitely a product I haven't heard of and will look into.

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
Be nice to have a coating with filling properties...

This might be something to look at....
Introducing CarPro Essence!!!!
CarPro is turning the wheels of innovation once again!! CarPro Essence is a unique blend of nano-tech Quartz, high gloss durable resins, and fine abrasives that are blended together at a microscopic level to form something truly ground breaking! CarPro Essence leaves an amazing high gloss finish with semi-permanent fillers and protective capabilities all built in!

Paired with a microfiber cutting pad Essence is capable of unexpected cutting power, while a CarPro gloss pad armed with Essence provides gloss we could only dream of until now! But this is not simply a polish…

In less than the time you take to polish a car with conventional products, CarPro Essence is capable of removing swirls, building your clear coat thicker, leaving higher gloss, and laying down a semi-permanent coat of protection! Oh… and it wipes off like a dream!

Incredibly Essence also leaves a perfectly smooth, deep, reflective, primed layer to build on with CQuartz or Reload! The primer attribute in Essence makes application of CQuartz easier than ever and bonds together seamlessly, forming a shell of Extreme Gloss and protection!

Features:

· Primes surface for CQuartz or Reload

· Produces Extremely High Gloss

· Semi-permanent filling capabilities

· Adds layer of Sio2 Quartz protection

· Use with D/A, Rotary, or by Hand

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a self-healing clearcoat, is that accurate?
Definitely a product I haven't heard of and will look into.

yes and no...its applied in a 4 step process (6 with the pre cleaners) and goes on similar to a wax, but is difficult to buff off completely until the final step (buff off 70-80% the prior 3 steps). It's not sprayed on like a traditional clear

28ONE

Reaction score
This might be something to look at....
Introducing CarPro Essence!!!!
CarPro is turning the wheels of innovation once again!! CarPro Essence is a unique blend of nano-tech Quartz, high gloss durable resins, and fine abrasives that are blended together at a microscopic level to form something truly ground breaking! CarPro Essence leaves an amazing high gloss finish with semi-permanent fillers and protective capabilities all built in!

Paired with a microfiber cutting pad Essence is capable of unexpected cutting power, while a CarPro gloss pad armed with Essence provides gloss we could only dream of until now! But this is not simply a polish…

In less than the time you take to polish a car with conventional products, CarPro Essence is capable of removing swirls, building your clear coat thicker, leaving higher gloss, and laying down a semi-permanent coat of protection! Oh… and it wipes off like a dream!

Incredibly Essence also leaves a perfectly smooth, deep, reflective, primed layer to build on with CQuartz or Reload! The primer attribute in Essence makes application of CQuartz easier than ever and bonds together seamlessly, forming a shell of Extreme Gloss and protection!

Features:

· Primes surface for CQuartz or Reload

· Produces Extremely High Gloss

· Semi-permanent filling capabilities

· Adds layer of Sio2 Quartz protection

· Use with D/A, Rotary, or by Hand

yeah Essence looks really cool

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I read into a lot of these coatings things, and almost pulled the trigger. I'm about to lookup another detailing company to take care of it for next season. Is it possible to just get coatings done and then all I have to do is just wash the car to maintain it?

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
I read into a lot of these coatings things, and almost pulled the trigger. I'm about to lookup another detailing company to take care of it for next season. Is it possible to just get coatings done and then all I have to do is just wash the car to maintain it?

When you say to get JUST coatings done, I'm thinking you mean no cut/polish before? If so, then it CAN be done but it shouldn't be done TBH. Coatings likes a nicely prepped surface to live up to it's 1-2 year lifespan and should have at least a nice decon and polish before applying a coating like CQuartz. If you are looking for a nice polish/coating you got my number man! I'll give you a pretty sweet deal.

Maintenance is really easy, just wash like normal. Even a harsh citrus wash won't jeopardize most coatings. It's ideal to apply some type of quick detail/wax like Reload with CQuartz every now and then to maintain it's look and feel. Even if you don't the protection is always there, just may lose it's smooth feeling overtime.

Last edited:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Sorry, yeah I would want it cut/compounded for sure. I'm really not very fluent in paint care. Just wash, wipe, and wax/seal. Lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back