Just some quick clarification

Alec

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys-

Looking to pick up an aluminum DS in the near future and just want to make sure I get the right one for my application. '05 4.0 auto with an 8.8 rearand the 03/04 Cobra pinion bearing.

My understanding is the '05-'09 GT auto/manual and V6 auto DS are all the same minus the pinion flange differences. Correct?

So theoretically, should I pick up a GT alum DS and swap the pinion bearing on my 8.8 rear back to the stock GT pinion bearing? Or do I need to have DSS/Shaftmasters etc custom make one?

Thanks in advance!

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
The v6 and GT driveshafts for automatics are the same lengths.
If you end up buying a new one from shaftmasters, just tell them what pinion flange you have and you'll be set: remove the stocker and install the new one, and you're done.
If you find a used 1-piece for a gt auto, it'll fit and if it has the 6-bolt gt flange-end, yes you can change the rear end flange to a gt flange (using the proper procedures of course to get preload right). The flanges are easy to find and not expensive (I have one I'll sell cheap as well).

No need for any 'pinion bearing' work on the rear end, just the flange needs to be replaced (along with new seal and new pinion nut).

Alec

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome, that's what I was hoping. Don't really want to invest much in to just 4.0 mods, it's nice that this would work with a V8 set up too.

Don't know where I got pinion bearing from lol. Meant pinion flange

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
i just put a shaftmaster 3.5" ds in mine. i`m still running the 7.5 rear end (w/t lok and 3.73 gears). turns out that 2011+ 8.8 rear ends use the same pinion flange as my 7.5 so i just might be looking for a 8.8 takeoff rear end in the near future. and my ds will fit with the upgrade.

you need to just call shaftmasters, they can hook you up

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back