Just wanted to share my mustang

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I love the Parrot Asteroid Smart headunit. Its perfect for my needs and works great.

The bluetooth phone call quality is the best I've ever used. Many aftermarket companies call quality sucks big time (pretty much worthless). It also allows two devices to be connected simultaneously which in my case is my phone and the bluetooth obd-2 scanner (to run the torque app).

Its juggles all the tasks pretty well. I have the Torque app running with the radio playing in the background, I get calls in and out without an issue and everything goes back to the way it was smoothly. Put it in reverse and goes to the back up camera and so forth. Its set it and forget it kind of thing. Feels very OEM function wise.

Its running on a very basic gingerbread android rom and its own marketplace is very limited on apps but seriously what else do you want on the car's headunit? Facebook? No thanks.

You can root it and upload the google play store but the unit has limited ram and memory so filling it up with useless apps like games and such will slow it down.

The sound quality is great, but I'm not an audiophile so take with a grain of salt. I usually listen to AM radio (news/talk) But when I do play music, I can crank up the volume pretty high without any breaks or distortions (I have the Shaker 500).

The built in navi is not bad, works great and its pretty precise. The signal catches pretty quickly and haven't had an issue with it. You can also use google maps but you need a wifi or hotspot connection. You can either hotspot your phone or plug in a USB data dongle.

Speed of the device is great, its not lightning fast but the screen responds very well and has gestures for volume and changing stations. Very useful to operate while driving.

The screen resolution is good and doesn't wash out as bad in sunlight as well.

Let me know what else you want to know about it!

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
8-rib... Yummmmm
epehazyr.jpg

posted via Tapatalk

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score
I love the Parrot Asteroid Smart headunit. Its perfect for my needs and works great.

The bluetooth phone call quality is the best I've ever used. Many aftermarket companies call quality sucks big time (pretty much worthless). It also allows two devices to be connected simultaneously which in my case is my phone and the bluetooth obd-2 scanner (to run the torque app).

Its juggles all the tasks pretty well. I have the Torque app running with the radio playing in the background, I get calls in and out without an issue and everything goes back to the way it was smoothly. Put it in reverse and goes to the back up camera and so forth. Its set it and forget it kind of thing. Feels very OEM function wise.

Its running on a very basic gingerbread android rom and its own marketplace is very limited on apps but seriously what else do you want on the car's headunit? Facebook? No thanks.

You can root it and upload the google play store but the unit has limited ram and memory so filling it up with useless apps like games and such will slow it down.

The sound quality is great, but I'm not an audiophile so take with a grain of salt. I usually listen to AM radio (news/talk) But when I do play music, I can crank up the volume pretty high without any breaks or distortions (I have the Shaker 500).

The built in navi is not bad, works great and its pretty precise. The signal catches pretty quickly and haven't had an issue with it. You can also use google maps but you need a wifi or hotspot connection. You can either hotspot your phone or plug in a USB data dongle.

Speed of the device is great, its not lightning fast but the screen responds very well and has gestures for volume and changing stations. Very useful to operate while driving.

The screen resolution is good and doesn't wash out as bad in sunlight as well.

Let me know what else you want to know about it!

Good to know. Where did you buy yours from and what backup camera are you using?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I bought mine from Sonixelectronics.com and a generic backup camera mounted underneath the saleen wing.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Today I finished my heat exchanger upgrade. This is the the Saleen extreme heat exchanger. It's just the core with dual fans installed. It retailed for $1500 when new but that was complete with water pump and wiring harness and etc. Now it can be bought (still new) without the pump for less than $200.

Several reasons I went with this instead of the traditional afco that every one does:

1. I have a Saleen bumper which has a wider opening than the regular GT so I wanted to capitalize on that.

2. I didn't like how the afco was taller and not wider, half of it being blocked by the bumper beam. So all that money and half of it is covered.

3. Saleen also sell a baffling kit so you can block off the sides and bottom so it creates a clear path for the air to go through the h/e and and not around it.

4. The price... It's pretty high quality piece. It's a single pass core and the fans are by Hayden.

I used it with a Meziere 20gpm water pump. The only issue I had was the outport on the h/e is a massive 1" so finding right hose was bit hard but finding a 1" to 3/4" coupler was even harder.

Since the saleen doesn't have any fog lights, I used the existing harness to plug my fans to them. So I can manually activate them by turning on my fog light switch.

Comparing the stock gt500 vs extreme :

Meziere mounted on the passenger side:

Installing the baffle kit:

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
23ab20bfe3c7e298979b1d6095789bc2.jpg

37057084213ddc6fc45c261208b5fc83.jpg

Though it's no longer like that. They kept failing so went with the alpine frame unit.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the frame sounds better. Did you run the cable through where the licence plate light is or how'd you get the cable into the trunk?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
With the alpine frame? I just ran it under the trunk. So you can see when you open the trunk.

sidvicious

forum member
Reaction score
Today I finished my heat exchanger upgrade. This is the the Saleen extreme heat exchanger. It's just the core with dual fans installed. It retailed for $1500 when new but that was complete with water pump and wiring harness and etc. Now it can be bought (still new) without the pump for less than $200.

Several reasons I went with this instead of the traditional afco that every one does:

1. I have a Saleen bumper which has a wider opening than the regular GT so I wanted to capitalize on that.

2. I didn't like how the afco was taller and not wider, half of it being blocked by the bumper beam. So all that money and half of it is covered.

3. Saleen also sell a baffling kit so you can block off the sides and bottom so it creates a clear path for the air to go through the h/e and and not around it.

4. The price... It's pretty high quality piece. It's a single pass core and the fans are by Hayden.

I used it with a Meziere 20gpm water pump. The only issue I had was the outport on the h/e is a massive 1" so finding right hose was bit hard but finding a 1" to 3/4" coupler was even harder.

Since the saleen doesn't have any fog lights, I used the existing harness to plug my fans to them. So I can manually activate them by turning on my fog light switch.

Pictures are gone! I bought the same Extreme HE on ebay. Still sitting in the box because I'm not sure of the install. What else do you need? I have the stock Saleen HE, so no fans. Sounds like you did not use any relays or thermostat, but are using them manually. Also, where did you get the baffling kit-link? Thanks.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
d1ab2595a1aec6f099259c8c08ab7811.jpg

4303afbe2139bf439f4d465a69fbdc33.jpg

6c9f73649dded0ecaf6b267e923b75ce.jpg

3494401031fa99d1dcdcdcc5e8803068.jpg

My fans are connected to the foglight plugs since I dont have foglights. I can turn them on manually via the headlight switch.

Baffles are fs on eBay.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back