K&N FIPK Problems with CEL and Bogging

burns

Reaction score
I have a K&N fipk I'm waiting to put on. I've been reading now alot about people having problems with the intake causing cel and bogging with and without tunes. Any insight on this issue??

blue streak

forum member
Reaction score
take it back and order a c&l racer and sct tuner package.... k&n makes 0-5 horsepower difference. sometimes they even hurt performance.

burns

Reaction score
take it back and order a c&l racer and sct tuner package.... k&n makes 0-5 horsepower difference. sometimes they even hurt performance.

I think I probably will return it, even with a 15% restocking fee and the shipping, I'll probably be better off.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I think I probably will return it, even with a 15% restocking fee and the shipping, I'll probably be better off.

You sure as hell will be, let me tell you! K&N just doesn't put the time and research into the individual vehicles they make shit for.

Look into the JLT intake. I have the C&L and it's a really good one too. I just wish it had the intake tube like JLT's. JLT, C&L, Steeda, in that order, is what I would go with.

Just consider the restocking fee as paying your stupid tax. Lord knows I've paid that tax once or twice in the past!

burns

Reaction score
You sure as hell will be, let me tell you! K&N just doesn't put the time and research into the individual vehicles they make shit for.

Look into the JLT intake. I have the C&L and it's a really good one too. I just wish it had the intake tube like JLT's. JLT, C&L, Steeda, in that order, is what I would go with.

Just consider the restocking fee as paying your stupid tax. Lord knows I've paid that tax once or twice in the past!

hahaha agreed, I just sent the company I ordered from an email about what all I need to return it.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
hahaha agreed, I just sent the company I ordered from an email about what all I need to return it.

Look for a tab in their customer service area to get an RMA #. That should be all you need. Then you mail it back. Do they sell the other intakes? Often times, you can get them to waive the restocking fee if you're buying something else from them.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
+1 JLT is the business. Real gains and they back their product. I'll run the JLT as long as I'm N/A. The JLT sounds absolutely evil with the FRPP intake behind it. Sounds like it's going to eat the filter and anything else in its way. K&N makes great drop-in filters, but I've never liked their CAI's.

Daniel Day

Resident psychopath
Reaction score
I have a K&N fipk I'm waiting to put on. I've been reading now alot about people having problems with the intake causing cel and bogging with and without tunes. Any insight on this issue??

First let me say that I have been running this intake for about a year and I have had zero problems out of it. I first ran it without a tune when my car was stock and then with a tune after I purchased my SCT.

I had originally planned on purchasing a JLT and only bought the K&N because I got a GREAT deal from a friend who basically gave it to me. He was only selling it so he could get a Roush intake for his 06 Stage 1. I definitely would not have paid retail for it but since you already did I would probably stick with it to avoid the cost/hassle of returning it(unless you plan on staying N/A and trying to put down some big #'s).

I have to disagree with blue streak and Frank. I know a lot you guys don't put much stock in what some of the mags print, but check out this article...
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0601w_cold_air_intake_comparisons/index.html

Long story short:
Stock 2005 Mustang GT...261rwhp/282tq
JLT with a tune..............288rwhp/303tq (I know this is not the newer JLT 110, so add 2-3 hp)
C&L with a tune.............286rwhp/302tq
K&N with a tune.............282rwhp/300tq

So were are talking 6 hp and 3 ft. lbs difference between the three. The K&N definitely did not put down the most hp but it still picked a respectable gain. The biggest difference between this intake and the JLT, C&L, etc. is the size of the intake itself. You can obviously see that the others are bigger that the K&N(this is why you can run it without a tune and not get a CEL).

Last edited:

burns

Reaction score
I have been reading alot of people who run this intake with a tune and say it's not bad and that there isn't that much of a difference between it and the others. From what I've been reading, the biggest difference is going to be the tuner/tune.

burns

Reaction score
First let me say that I have been running this intake for about a year and I have had zero problems out of it. I first ran it without a tune when my car was stock and then with a tune after I purchased my SCT.

I had originally planned on purchasing a JLT and only bought the K&N because I got a GREAT deal from a friend who basically gave it to me. He was only selling it so he could get a Roush intake for his 06 Stage 1. I definitely would not have paid retail for it but since you already did I would probably stick with it to avoid the cost/hassle of returning it(unless you plan on staying N/A and trying to put down some big #'s).

I have to disagree with blue streak and Frank. I know a lot you guys don't put much stock in what some of the mags print, but check out this article...
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0601w_cold_air_intake_comparisons/index.html

Long story short:
Stock 2005 Mustang GT...261rwhp/282tq
JLT with a tune..............288rwhp/303tq (I know this is not the newer JLT 110, so add 2-3 hp)
C&L with a tune.............286rwhp/302tq
K&N with a tune.............282rwhp/300tq

So were are talking 6 hp and 3 ft. lbs difference between the three. The K&N definitely did not put down the most hp but it still picked a respectable gain. The biggest difference between this intake and the JLT, C&L, etc. is the size of the intake itself. You can obviously see that the others are bigger that the K&N(this is why you can run it without a tune and not get a CEL).

what tune are you running? and how well did the intake respond to a tune?

b00stedgt

Reaction score
I had this intake before my whipple and had no problems with it. I thought it looked good under the hood, and def. saw some gains with a tune. I would keep it and get a tune for it.

burns

Reaction score
I had this intake before my whipple and had no problems with it. I thought it looked good under the hood, and def. saw some gains with a tune. I would keep it and get a tune for it.

I'm kinda leaning towards that, the place I bought it from has been dodging my emails and is impossible to get ahold of over the phone. So chance of them actually refunding my money is slim. It was however the cheapest place around for the intake itself. I got it for $200 shipped compared to AM $295 shipped.

Daniel Day

Resident psychopath
Reaction score
what tune are you running? and how well did the intake respond to a tune?

Brenspeed 93 tune. I can not honestly answer your second question. Any intake/tune combo is going to really wake up your Stang. All I can tell you is a good tune is on if the best mods you can do. It helped throttle response tremendously and I can definitely tell a difference in power.

It may not pump out the max hp but like Rat281 said, it is a very clean design and looks pretty good in the engine bay...

KN.jpg

Last edited:

burns

Reaction score
Thanks and brenspeed is what I'm going to go with, they seem to be the best around.

leavnon3rd

Reaction score
i bought my 08 with a knn cai already installed, after a few week i had the same issue, i found 2 problems, first being the maf was totally seated and sealed to the intake tube, second was the tube was sliding off the coupler to the TB. in fact every few weeks it slides off slightly and i get the same issues, i fixed this temporarly by using the right stuff(a type of silicone made by permatex) laying a bead around the flange on the tube and then i drilled 4 small holes 2 on top and 2 on bottom and installed small rivets ( i am unsure of the size id have to look). It never had a problem sliding off the TB, and its worked well for 2 months now. its my temp fix til i buy another cai.

burns

Reaction score
i bought my 08 with a knn cai already installed, after a few week i had the same issue, i found 2 problems, first being the maf was totally seated and sealed to the intake tube, second was the tube was sliding off the coupler to the TB. in fact every few weeks it slides off slightly and i get the same issues, i fixed this temporarly by using the right stuff(a type of silicone made by permatex) laying a bead around the flange on the tube and then i drilled 4 small holes 2 on top and 2 on bottom and installed small rivets ( i am unsure of the size id have to look). It never had a problem sliding off the TB, and its worked well for 2 months now. its my temp fix til i buy another cai.

Some people have had problems with them, but from what I've been reading, most of it is installation error

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back