Keeping Bugs Off with Paint

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm driving a long distance next week to the Mustang 50th Birthday. I've seen people put blue masking tape on the fronts of their cars to keep bugs and other stuff off. Good idea or bad idea? Will it damage the paint if it's on for less than 24 hours? Should you put an extra coat of wax underneath it? Or is it a stupid idea and I should just wipe the front of the car off with some waterless car wash when I get there?

007GTCS

forum member
Reaction score
I have seen people clear plastisol there fronts then pull it off when they got there

SGTguy

forum member
Reaction score
I have got 500 miles to the 50th and am just putting on a coat of wax, there is not that many bugs this time of year. I take bug remover with me just in case.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
We drove my neighbors car from Omaha, NE to Las Vegas for SEMA last year. We coated the entire front of his car with green masking tape with no issues hurting the paint. There was a small amount of sticky residue left but washing it took care of it. If I have to road trip it again I would do the same thing.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I might put a little bit just on the front bumper. But you're right; there aren't too many bugses yet. Also, the thread title was supposed to be "Painter's Tape."

I fail.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Painters tape for less than a day is no problem. Every track day you will see guys encasing their noses in it & many use it for numbers. Nothing more than a little bit of glue residue occasionally left behind.

Gremlin85

forum member
Reaction score
Painters tape is fine for a short while.

Not sure if this is an isolated issue, but an old friend of mine covered the whole front of his 2004 GTO for 2 days and when he went to remove it, a lot of the clear coat came with it.

Now, I'm not sure how painters tape did this, but I was there and saw it happen.

I just use a good couple coats of high quality wax before I go anywhere and make sure I do a quick detail spray every time I stop.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
The only issue I've had with painters tape, was that it wouldn't stick well to my car with the wax I use. Then the flapping pieces would collect dirt/grit and flap against my paint.

The 3M clear rubber stuff looks like the best plan. I have a can of it, but I haven't used it yet.

Ponyman

forum member
Reaction score
plasti dip is the way to go. they make numerous colors to match your car color or they make a smoke that you can apply. either leave it or peel it right off when you get there. wont harm paint and easily removable with more coats. can also be washed. plasti is becoming very popular. you-tube it, you will be amazed!! I think it is cheaper then the 3m spray. found at lowes or menards or home depot.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
I'm driving a long distance next week to the Mustang 50th Birthday. I've seen people put blue masking tape on the fronts of their cars to keep bugs and other stuff off. Good idea or bad idea? Will it damage the paint if it's on for less than 24 hours? Should you put an extra coat of wax underneath it? Or is it a stupid idea and I should just wipe the front of the car off with some waterless car wash when I get there?

do NOT wipe with a waterless wash. First of all, they are the DEVIL. Period. End of Story. Don't give me your Croftsgate malarke. They are the devil.

And even if they were "ok" on a perfectly clean car, they certainly won't protect from the bugs guts and legs and other exoskeletal parts from scratching the paint.

If you do plan on washing the car once you get there, spray some PAM on your bumper. Or you can put saran wrap on it for something temporary. It will stick well.

But all in all, a good sealant, and even some waxes, will make it easy to wash off with just a light pressure washer and maybe even some APC.

NEVER SCRUB OFF BUGS.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Optimum no rinse wash is the devil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
In my opinion, if its waterless, its the devil.

Nothing you can can remove every loose surface particle from a cars paint safely without first rinsing or pressure washing it. It really doesn't matter to me what they say about "ultra lubricity". Any scrubbing, rubbing, grinding, or cleaning using your hands and a type of mitt or sponge is not ok in my book without first rinsing the car down.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
It uses water. You mix it with it. I suppose you could rinse the car first if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
That's the key. Rinsing it. Rinsing takes off a majority of the loose contaminants. If you do that, I'm ok with it. Still don't think it's ideal but I'm ok with it.

And for a rinse less, you need to make sure that you are using pure water as well. Or that it has something to neutralize the natural minerals that occur in most city water supplies.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
When Seer was still part of the forum I think he recommended ONR diluted 20:1 as a quick detailer but other than that if I've driven for more than 2-3 days and haven't used a QD to get the dust off, I'm washing.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
In my opinion, if its waterless, its the devil.

Nothing you can can remove every loose surface particle from a cars paint safely without first rinsing or pressure washing it. It really doesn't matter to me what they say about "ultra lubricity". Any scrubbing, rubbing, grinding, or cleaning using your hands and a type of mitt or sponge is not ok in my book without first rinsing the car down.

Just throwing this out there.....I completely agree with using water if your car has been driven in the rain because dirt and grit will cluster when wet and dry on the surface. That definitely needs to be powerwashed off. But since my car never sees rain, I use the waterless method because the car only gets road dust or pollen on it. I do this method about every two times I drive it. The very first thing I do is blow the car off with compressed air. Then fill a bucket with water and add Chemical Guys Hose Free Wash with a dozen microfibers soaking in it. Then I have a spray bottle with a greater concentrate of Hose Free wash and I spray the hood for example. Then take a microfiber, wring it out a little, fold it in fours and lightly and slowly drag it across the surface. Then flip the microfiber and drag it again. Works great. Then I follow it all up with some CG V7. And trust me, I'm anal has hell about black. I take a high powered Brinkman LED light to check my work. Rarely do I ever put a scratch in it. If I do its barely visible and easily taken out with an orbital buffer and some Menzerna P4500.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back