Keeping Rust away...undercoating?

Earthworm

Reaction score
Good Day!

Any opinions on rust proofing a 2007 mustang for the winter? Besides getting a beater.
I requested a quote to have the underside coated with por-15. Is this worth the money? Generally, I use fluid film on previous vehicles. But have not kept one to see the results.

Input welcome!

Thank you all

GriffX

Reaction score
I would not use por-15 anymore because of the amount of isocyanates inside. No rust but cancer? Easy decision ;)
I use a seewater proof coating, but you need to do 3+ coats to have a good protection. I bought 2 colors, 1st coat green, 2nd black, then you can see where the thickness is not enough. Unfortunately, it contains cobalt compounds and is not available anymore.
CIMG0433 (Mittel).JPG

Last edited:

MrBhp

Reaction score
I have friends that jeep year round. They swear by lanolin undercoating.

Dcraig10004

Reaction score
Fluid film is the way to go. It's a lanolin-based formulation that stops existing rust on contact. Penetrating on contact, creates a fluid, self-healing barrier that is always active and will not chip or crack, protecting vehicle undercoatings and exposed metals for extended periods of time. I use it once a year.

gbstang

Reaction score
Yes, use a good surface coat.. POR-15 is really good, do not worry about it having isocyanates, you should be using PPE with everything anyway... POR-15 should only be used on severe rust, otherwise it will not stick to the surface, it is not UV stable so only use it on the underbody. POR-15 will stop the rust because it creates an oxygen barrier, no O2, no rust...
Lanolin undercoating is "ok" it DOES NOT stop rust, it just slows its progression and it has to be re-applied often (every season)
Trot over to KBS coatings ( https://www.kbs-coatings.com/ ), they have similar products to POR-15, but in more options (color, type etc) and it would seem they are cheaper... They have a good top coat that adheres well and unlike POR-15 is UV stable... These coatings come in Factory (OEM) underhood/body colors like satin black etc.
Cheers!

Back