Kooks = Krooks!!

viciousride

Needing more power!
Reaction score
SYNOPSIS:
I ordered a set of Kooks headers and X-pipe. I placed the order through Late Model Restoration (LMR). LMR sends a Purchase Order (PO) to Kooks. Kooks sends the parts (2 boxes) to LMR. LMR in turn ships the parts to me. I receive the parts; take parts to shop; install headers -- good to go so far, for the exception of no gaskets or hardware included. I was able to acquire the hardware and reuse my OEM gaskets, however, no O2 extension was provided. This is now considered big problem #1. I opened the box for the X-pipe and removed the pipes and immediately notice the a ball-and-socket type connection where a slip-fit connector should be. This is now big problem #2.

I call Kooks about my situation and get the run-around from hell --2 days of bullshit run-around. I spoke to George @ Kooks, who I think is the GM or someone high up in the totem pole, concerning the X-pipe. He blames LMR for the mistake -- I was completely stunned! Basically, he said LMR ordered the wrong part. I told him the box I received has the correct P/N listed, and the PO states the same info. Again he states, NO, LMR ordered an X-Pipe for a Saleen Extreme Mustang ~ whatever the hell that is. Here's a funny one...George recommends I take it to a local shop and have them "fix it". How the hell are you going to suggest to a customer to have them modify a wrong part you sent?

Anyway, George tells me he will call me back and try to get some form of resolution. Surprising enough, he never contacted me. So, I call Kooks and speak to a guy named "Koolaid". Koolaid said to send him photos and documentation, and also suggested to contact LMR and have them to speak to George directly concerning my issue.

Well today I called LMR, which by the way has outstanding customer service, to find out what Kooks had to say. In so many words, Kooks said that I'm SOL and there's nothing they're going to do about it. I couldn't believe it!! Anyway, LMR said they would place a new order with Kooks and will handle the issue with Kooks -- basically try to recover the costs. Unfortunately I won't have the new X-pipe for about another 4-6 weeks, but at least LMR is taking care of their customer!

WTF is up with Kooks?! I mean it was almost comical to hear that Kooks was in no way taking responsibility for their screw-up. My suggestion to all...go with American Racing Headers!

Here's some additional info...

1st Email to Krooks

-----------------------
Greetings Koolaid,

I just spoke to you on the phone concerning my Kooks order, specifically the 6024-OX-3 X-pipe. Attached you will find pictures of the x-pipe, along with pics of the headers installed on the car, and the stock "slip-fit" axle-back. In one of the pics you will also notice a crack on the ball and socket connection ~ doesn't really matter because it won't fit on my car, but I was surprised to see it shipped in that condition. Also, I did not receive header bolts, bolts for the ball-and-socket connection, O2 sensor extension, or header gaskets.

I'm in quite a predicament right now because the car is currently at a shop, and I'm pretty much unable to continue the install and will have to uninstall everything and put the car back to stock. This of course is plenty of time and money wasted. The other problem I have is that I'm stationed in Germany, so the turn around for a new X-pipe will take even longer.

Any help in getting this issue resolved quickly would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-----------------------
2nd Email to Krooks

Koolaid,

I just spoke to you on the phone concerning the incorrect part I received. I spoke to Late Model Restoration (who I initially ordered from), concerning my order and they stated the correct part was ordered from Kooks, however they're unsure why I received the ball-and-socket type x-pipe when I should have received the slip-fit type. My simple assumption is that Kooks sent the wrong part. Not only was it the wrong part, but it was also sent damaged. Plus as I stated earlier, I didn't even receive header bolts, bolts for the ball-and-socket connection at the header, O2 sensor extension, or header gaskets. I'm surprised that Kooks is not taking responsibility for this.

I've attached two additional photos of the box which clearly shows the correct part number. See images DSC00959.JPG & DSC00960.JPG

I would like to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

Thank you.

-----------------------

Wrong X-Pipe

Krooks6.JPG

Headers Installed:

Krooks1.JPG

Definitely a slip-fit connector on the stock exhaust

Krooks3.JPG

Not only the wrong part, but also sent damaged

Krooks2.JPG

Correct part number

Krooks4.JPG

Here's the part number with pic directly from Kooks website: http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/show.php?pid=872. Looks like a slip-fit connector to me!

* Sorry for the rant guys, but damn Kooks pissed me off!!! :mad2:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And this rant belongs in the tech section why?

If it makes you feel any better, me and countless other people had no issue with Kooks what so ever. On the other hand, I will NEVER order anything from LMR because of how badly I got jerked around several years back on a part that I ordered that 12 weeks later they still had not shipped and I had to threaten them to get my money back because they kept insisting that I continue to wait until it came in instead of giving me a refund.
And you honestly don't know what a Saleen Extreme is?

Last edited:

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a clusterfuck. This is the first time I've read of an issue with Kooks. Glad to hear that LMR is trying to make things right.

radmustangs

forum member
Reaction score
How do you figure thats the right part number? its the 6024 0x -3 . Did you want the normal 6024 ox? Looks likes LMR did order the wrong part number.

Last edited:

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My Kooks dealings have been great!!
You also do NOT need the O2 extension for the passanger side O2 sensor. You can get enough slack in the factory harness to plug it in.

navyman8903

forum member
Reaction score
Wow.....kooks needs to get their shit together. I would send you the part if I were kooks just to keep my name clean.

RedFire07GT

11sec N/A 3V
Reaction score
Wow! if this were me id be dealin with LMR seems like something did get mixed up. Did u email LMR or KOOKs these photos.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I didn't even read what your problem was, but the thread title was pretty funny to me. Hope you get whatever it is fixed.

Boozshey

Reaction score
If it was 6022-134, then there would be a for sure problem... But if you look at LMR page, they don't sell the 3" exhaust as kit that I could find anyways..

Last edited:

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Man, these kind of threads sure make for some entertaining reading. Hey Robert, pass that popcorn!

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
If it was 6022-134, then there would be a for sure problem... But if you look at LMR page, they don't sell the 3" exhaust as kit that I could find anyways..

Doesnt have to be a kit. He could have ordered part # 6022-134 (headers) and the part # 6024-OX-3 (x-pipe).

Boozshey

Reaction score
Yeah, if he ordered them separate like that by himself then it's his own damn fault. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

asilver2001gt

forum member
Reaction score
I agree with the other people. Your problem lies with LMR. I wouldn't order anything from those guys. I tried to order a hood from them instead of going directly through Cervinis. 8 weeks later no hood. When I called about the hood they claimed the hood came damaged on 2 occasions. When I asked what they had in stock so that I could rush to get the car I had only owned for 2 days before it had to go to the body shop, they said that they had a 4 inch cowl hood in stock. I said send it to me. 5 min later, the "in stock" 4 inch hood magically had damage to it as well. Fuck them and their bullshit. I learned a long time, shopping around to try and save a few dollars will ultimately catch up with you

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back