Lets see your splitters!!!, if you have one....

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
Lets see your front splitters if you have it. I just got my APR splitter on today and it was a pain to install. Took 4.5 hours to do. But i am so glad because it looks pretty bad ass. I love seeing the underbody so flat. Havent been able to test it out yet because its been pouring in southern california.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
With the underside of a stock S197 being the way it is, does a splitter do anything?

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
With the underside of a stock S197 being the way it is, does a splitter do anything?

A properly designed splitter will create negative lift at the front of the car at speed, and can be used to tune the handling dynamics. If your car understeers on high-speed (80+mph, generally) corners, the extra downforce from a splitter can help plant the front tires, reducing or eliminating the understeer. Note, however, that it will do little or nothing to help the handling at lower speeds, and set up too aggressively, can actually create high-speed oversteer, as there will be so much front grip that it can start to unload the rear.

If you have your car set up neutral for slow to medium speed corners, but it pushes a bit on high-speed sweepers, carousels or kinks, then a splitter will be a good candidate to help maintain that balance.Frequently, a car that starts to employ aero tuning will also incorporate a rear wing, as that is a much easier way to tune the aero for each track. Set up the splitter, and then tune with rear downforce.

A proper splitter, though, is not the easiest thing to implement. You'll want the material to be rigid, but able to "shatter" in the event of contact or an off-track excursion. Also, you'll want to start with the splitter on the large side, and trim it back to find the balance you are looking for. Clearance height in relation to the ground is as critical as the length of the splitter, and of course, extending it as far rearward as you can (or are allowed by class rules) will be beneficial.

For more info, try googling "aerobytes" and "splitter." There is an excellent article that explains the aero factors involved and compares an air dam to a short splitter to a full undertray design.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
For more info, try googling "aerobytes" and "splitter." There is an excellent article that explains the aero factors involved and compares an air dam to a short splitter to a full undertray design.

The article mentioned something I've been told before about why a splitter doesn't so much on many street cars until you get to corner speeds that you don't typically see on street based cars doing track days. It mentioned the increase of under body pressure under the car in the area behind the splitter and under the engine.

I've talked in the past with people that raced in different series based on production cars and many found that splitters didn't help reduce lap times or do a whole lot to improve handling. It could have been due to limitations on the size or design of the splitter due to the rules. I don't know what size splitter they were using.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
A splitter is really kind of an aerodynamic "icing on the cake," but on some cars, it does make a whopping big difference. The real key, though, is the size of the splitter (surface area in front of the air dam), the clearance off the track, the extension of the low-pressure area to at least the front axle centerline, and most importantly, vehicle speed. They do NOT generally start to work at 30mph. More like 80+mph. Essentially useless for autocross or club-level tracks, where high-speed corners are rare.

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
The article mentioned something I've been told before about why a splitter doesn't so much on many street cars until you get to corner speeds that you don't typically see on street based cars doing track days. It mentioned the increase of under body pressure under the car in the area behind the splitter and under the engine.

I've talked in the past with people that raced in different series based on production cars and many found that splitters didn't help reduce lap times or do a whole lot to improve handling. It could have been due to limitations on the size or design of the splitter due to the rules. I don't know what size splitter they were using.

Really? Most of the people I've talked to say a splitter tremendously helped improve front grip.
Obviously, if its properly setup it should, in general, take off a second or two in a sub 2 minute track. different tracks will be different but i say generally.

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score

A stock S197, no it wont do anything because you have that middle of the bumper that is elevated. Splitters work better when the whole surface is flat. If u intend on keeping the s197 you could go with what Kaldar has and then create a splitter. Or some people custom fit the stock shelby splitter and then put a flat underbody splitter.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Yo I amped up my splitter level to +++5 in Forza, dropped 3 seconds of my lap time, son!

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
The real key, though, is the size of the splitter (surface area in front of the air dam), the clearance off the track, the extension of the low-pressure area to at least the front axle centerline, and most importantly, vehicle speed.

That may be the reason why they didn't see a benefit from it, the size of the splitter allowed by the rules and the speeds the cars were achieving in the corners.

It could also have something to do with what foolio2k4 said about the shape of the underside of the bumper. Maybe the rules didn't allow modification to that for the series they were running in at the time.

So, does anyone have lap time data for their S197 with the only difference being the splitter?

Kaldar142

Reaction score
Hmmm... I totally overlooked that having too much front downforce may cause the rear to oversteer. Hopefully the splitter won't have that dramatic of an effect. The GT500 rear spoiler does provide some downforce but not as much as I would need to match the front.

I guess we'll see once I get out onto track, but I have been eyeballing that agent 47 rear spoiler... Looks much more aggressive than the GT500 one while maintaining similiar lines.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I totally overlooked that having too much front downforce may cause the rear to oversteer. Hopefully the splitter won't have that dramatic of an effect. The GT500 rear spoiler does provide some downforce but not as much as I would need to match the front.

I guess we'll see once I get out onto track, but I have been eyeballing that agent 47 rear spoiler... Looks much more aggressive than the GT500 one while maintaining similiar lines.

Steeda also has a race rear wing available. I've also seen a few adjsutable rear wings sold for the S2000 that should fit the S197. I guess the size and style of the rear wing it depends on how much you are concerned about looks.

Kaldar142

Reaction score
It still is and will always be a street car so I don't want to throw on a big wing, which is why the A47 is so appealing to me. It's not released to the public yet though, but that's good for me... I spend too much money LOL

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
If you're starting to do aero tuning, you will want to get dirty... Buy an old-style "oil can pump," the type where you load it with oil to get at fan bearings, or hinges, or whatever. Next, squirt a line of drops across the top of the roof, and then take the car out on track for a session. When you get back in, you'll see where the airflow is. Repeat as necessary for the underside of the splitter, the top of the trunk, the leading edge of the hood, etc. This will give you a very good idea of where you have high pressure (oil is smeared towards the back of the car) and low pressure (oil stops moving, or hardly moves) areas, as well as where the separation zones are. There is little or no benefit to placing aero devices in low pressure zones, or in separation zones. Personally, I think there's a reason that the "race car" builds all run tall wings at the back. Also, make sure you research the difference between a wing and a spoiler, they're two different animals, and do very different things... In general, spoilers help to alter the flow plot to move low-pressure or separation zones to where they'll do some good, and wings create downforce. You have to get the wing up into the airflow, though, for it to be effective.

Also, going back to splitters, you may well see a better result from an air dam at the base of the front fascia than you will from a splitter that is survivable in a road-driven car. If you look at the splitter setups on the race Mustangs, like this:

DavisB.jpg

Ohio01a.jpg

You'll notice how close to the track that splitter sits, and how far forward of the fascia it protrudes. Also, note the tow point on the fascia! Granted, it's most likely used not for towing but for winching the car into a trailer, but it obviously has the structural integrity to support that kind of weight loading, which says a lot for the composition and mounting strength of the splitter. The second photo really points out the clearance needed for a working splitter. With the car either accelerating or near neutral throttle, the splitter is sitting about even with the bottom of the rim, and under braking, it's all but scraping the track, as can be seen on the #3 Mustang here, who looks to be trail-braking a bit, as well as on the following Corvette and Viper:

09-lag-gtr-10-14.jpg

A splitter like that would NOT be survivable on a road-going car. The first speed bump, driveway incline, parking curb, etc. that was encountered would either high-side the car, or tear the splitter apart. It looks to me like the splitter is protruding somewhere between 3" and 4" forward of the fascia.

You'll also notice that as part of the full aero package, the cars are all running pretty huge rear wings for downforce, as well as extended sideboards to help maintain a low pressure zone under the car. Aero needs to be approached as a complete "system," to balance front and rear downforce at speed, so if we deem the splitter functional, it apparently takes that much wing to balance it out.

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
Yo I amped up my splitter level to +++5 in Forza, dropped 3 seconds of my lap time, son!

Oh man if it works in forza it MUST work in real life :)

Kaldar why dont you get a cheap take off trunk so you can swap out for track days. Probably the cheapest way.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Foolio, that is a fantastic idea an I may do that!

If you do, make sure that the wing struts are as close to the edges and rear of the trunk lid as you can get them... A good wing design can generate HUNDREDS of pounds of downforce on the rear. All that "weight" is meeting the car at the point where the struts hit the trunk. This is to say nothing of a torsional load applied from the aero drag. Generally speaking, the rear wing is tied into mounting plates that are part of the rear cage structure, and pin through the trunk lid sheetmetal. Not saying that it can't work on a street car, but it would be a good thing to keep in mind the forces being applied, and how they will affect what the wing is bolted to. Last thing I would want to see would be the wing struts pulling up on the trunk at the front of the joint, and pushing down at the rear...

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back