Lets talk Ford axlebacks (all 6 of them)

46addict

Reaction score
ON another occasion, I pulled into a cruise in, popped the throttle lightly before shutting the car off as many usually do. Getting our of the car I heard someone say, "I hope there's more to the car than loud exhaust." I said nothing, popped the hood, and heard the confirming comment, "...Yeah, sure looks like there is.", referring to the TVS sitting on the engine.

I love watching people putting their foot in their mouths. I would have told them it's stock. :bigbird:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
They are supposed to be loud. Get the Roush, pretty sure you won't be disappointed.

I want loud from outside the car, but not ear piercing drone from inside the cabin.. But it appears I will be going with the Roush, I'll also be using a Mac pro chamber with the factory cats, so hopefully the pro chamber will help with reducing inside drone as well..

Had the Roush AB's on factory cats/midpipe/afterpipes. Loud but not drony in the car.

I'll be keeping the factory cats along with Mac pro chamber and factory afterpipes.. So it appears the Roush AB's are exactly what I'm looking for

Roush's are ok if the rest of the system is setup right. Have a friend with Roush AB's and an O/R X pipe. The X pipe made it unbearable inside the car. However, I have heard people with "proper" exhaust systems with Roush mufflers, and it sounds fine.

Hopefully they'll sound fine with stock cats and Mac prochamber..

I've got Roush axle-backs with a Corsa X-pipe, stock cats. Sounds pretty farking cool.

Sounds like a plan to me lol.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I love watching people putting their foot in their mouths. I would have told them it's stock. :bigbird:
Ah, I sort of knew the guys. They tend to be Fox body hounds looking to poke fun of the newer cars. So when they saw a salt/pepper head get out of a 13 GHIG (the last car) after hearing the axle backs they only found out soon enough they had discerned wrong. It was fun to just nonchalantly lift the hood, make eye contact, grin and walk off.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Something that will make a massive difference in your decision is whether or not you are going to keep the cats. No matter what exhaust you get, it will usually be too quiet with cats and too loud without cats. If you're keeping the cats then you can run any of the 'extreme' setups and it will likely be fine. If you run an off road setup then you will want to go back to a chambered muffler like the Borla Touring.

46addict

Reaction score
Adding a blower will definitely change the exhaust tone. On my Bullitt the Borla Touring was definitely louder, and volume increased as I raised the blower output. At 10-12psi it was great, at 15psi it was a beast. I originally switched to the Borla because I kept blowing out the baffles in the stock Bullitt mufflers. I went through three sets of Bullitt mufflers before switching.

How did the Borlas hold up under boost?

Uncle Buck

forum member
Reaction score
I ran Borla S Type on a 3v NA catted xpipe. Loved the burble on down shift but droned like a mother at 1900rpm and was generally too loud for me.

Switched to Borla Touring and liked them very much with no drone but switched again to Bullit mufflers. They had a very nice deep tone but were too quiet so switched to Ford Racing Touring. They reminded me of the Borla Touring.

The car now has a DOB setup and the FR Tourings are louder than when it was NA. Just right I'd say but might toss on the Bullits again just for fun since the tone was so good and will now be louder with the blower. I also like the straight cut tips. Lol

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
Yip, that is why I pulled the Roush exhaust when I added the OR H and went with the well proven over and over and over Gt500 mufflers and OR midpipe.

BTW - I scared two guys on Harley's having a rev contest in a tunnel almost off their bikes when I slipped up beside them in the next lane, popped in neutral and lit up the Roush mufflers. They had "deer in the headlight" syndrome in their eyes with their lips wrapped around the word "DAAAAMN !!!" LOL! Gave me the thumbs up and took off. That was all with factory exhaust otherwise. ON another occasion, I pulled into a cruise in, popped the throttle lightly before shutting the car off as many usually do. Getting our of the car I heard someone say, "I hope there's more to the car than loud exhaust." I said nothing, popped the hood, and heard the confirming comment, "...Yeah, sure looks like there is.", referring to the TVS sitting on the engine.
My old mach1 had a borla stinger catback, longtubes and offroad x... it basically woke the dead. I once went to the track and when I got there I got a text from a buddy that read: "Dude, I saw you get on the freeway today, you went by me and I couldn't hear my Harley anymore!". Ruhroh... :yaoface:

Something that will make a massive difference in your decision is whether or not you are going to keep the cats. No matter what exhaust you get, it will usually be too quiet with cats and too loud without cats. If you're keeping the cats then you can run any of the 'extreme' setups and it will likely be fine. If you run an off road setup then you will want to go back to a chambered muffler like the Borla Touring.

It already doesn't have cats and won't when the longtubes go in. To make matters worse, it will have 8-10 psi going through it.

I still have no idea which of the SVT ones I'll get, but I'll check out the roush's as well. I don't think the ford racing GT/boss ones are the ones I want with a blower on the car...

As far as weight goes, I'm not looking for ounces, but the roush's are said to be 20 lbs lighter than stock. That might be the winning argument IMO; that's significant in my book. Also, I prefer quiet ones, like all of us old 30+ year olds, as opposed to my tastes a decade ago; but I do have a daily driver (just picked up a Fiesta ST) now so the mustang can stand to get a bit louder... The fiesta will not be getting louder... I heard one of them with exhaust on it and was like, nope, nope, nope, I would weld the folgers can shut if I had that car...

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I ran Borla S Type on a 3v NA catted xpipe. Loved the burble on down shift but droned like a mother at 1900rpm and was generally too loud for me.

Switched to Borla Touring and liked them very much with no drone but switched again to Bullit mufflers. They had a very nice deep tone but were too quiet so switched to Ford Racing Touring. They reminded me of the Borla Touring.

The car now has a DOB setup and the FR Tourings are louder than when it was NA. Just right I'd say but might toss on the Bullits again just for fun since the tone was so good and will now be louder with the blower. I also like the straight cut tips. Lol
When I put the blower on my Bullitt I went through 3 sets of mufflers in a year and a half. The extra pressure kept blowing out the baffles. Sounded great until the baffle blew out then it sounded like barf. That's why I ended up going with the Borla Touring. IMO stick with what you have.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Here's my Bullitt with long tubes, Borla Touring mufflers and resonators. Once I had over 10 lbs of boost it got loud enough that I added resonators to help keep it mellow. Was still rowdy enough that the guys at the garage down the road would come out hollering every time they heard me drive by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqAl7UtPhaw

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score

What I don't understand is how the Borla "S" stingers have drone, but yet the Ford Racing version FR500S don't.. You would think being as the FR500S are made for Ford Racing by Borla, both would have the same exact design..

The only other scenario I can think of is, the FR500S are constructed from T-409 grade SS where as the Borla "S" type are the higher grade T-304 grade SS which still doesn't explain why the higher grade 304 Borla's drone but the lower 409 grade FR doesn't :shrug:

Here's my Bullitt with long tubes, Borla Touring mufflers and resonators. Once I had over 10 lbs of boost it got loud enough that I added resonators to help keep it mellow. Was still rowdy enough that the guys at the garage down the road would come out hollering every time they heard me drive by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqAl7UtPhaw

From the sound clip you posted, it seems like your also running an O/R mid with them ? I definitely like how deep, throaty and loud they sound.. I also think it's really a howl when the guys at the garage, down the road come out hollering every time they hear you driving by :rotflmao:

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
My GT500's were the only thing done on the car, the rest was bone stock. I have a JBA X pipe sitting here, but it doesn't fit. Bought it from a guy with a '12, and it fit his fine. Put it on my car and it moves the exhaust back a good inch or two. Sounded great with the Flowmaster Outlaws as it smoothed them out nicely. Still had bad drone though.

D1984

forum member
Reaction score
I have the M-5230-MGTLA (Sport). Not sure how much they weigh, but probably lighter than stock. They are very quiet, not sure why they would be too loud to be 50 state legal especially considering they are about 1/10th as loud as my old Outlaws. They sound great, especially at low RPM and there is virtually no drone at any RPM. Once I do my offroad H it's going to sound awesome and not be so loud to where you can hear it from a mile away

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
SVE axle backs $250, no reason for $500-$700 mufflers that sounds the same.

:ryu:

Last edited:

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Isn't OPs car a coyote? The part numbers he listed are for the 2011 and up models. Different engine, different sound.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I'm just saying how different can round axle backs sound between each other?

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I gotcha, Frankie. That wasn't directed necessarily at you. Half the posts in this thread refer to 3V! LOL

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Isn't OPs car a coyote? The part numbers he listed are for the 2011 and up models. Different engine, different sound.

You're right ! The OP's car is a Coyote..

I gotcha, Frankie. That wasn't directed necessarily at you. Half the posts in this thread refer to 3V! LOL

I'll take the flaming for that, being that my posts were responsible for starting up the 3V referrals to begin with LOL.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back